Bua Laung Hotel & Resort

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Chiang Mai

DELICATELY PAINTING WITH A SMALL ARTISTS BRUSH..DELICATELY PAINTING WITH A SMALL ARTISTS BRUSH..

Mon marketMon market

Giant Water Lily in Queen Sirikit Botanic GardenGiant Water Lily in Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden

The freshly painted parasols are drying in the sunThe freshly painted parasols are drying in the sun

Trekking in Chiang Mai

by atinom

Hi ...

A friend & I are going to Chiang Mai in December and would like to do the following:
Elephant Sanctuary - is this highly recommended, worthwhile doing? If so are 2 days too long?

Trekking - is the trekking very commercial and worth doing? How many days would you suggest and any companies you can recommend? We thought of making our own way with a guide so that we are not part of a big tourist group, is that safe and advisable? If not, should we pre-book a trek or can we book when we get there once we've weighed up our options?

We are also looking at trekking options in Vietnam in the Sapa region, does anyone have any advice on that?

by sadie_sq

I can't comment on the trekking, it was the rainy season when I was there and flooding prevented it, but friends have hiked the NE and NW parts of the countries and LOVED it! My friends in the NW pre-booked, my friends in the NE did not....The NE is less touristy.

As for the elephant sanctuary, don't plan alot of money or time. It is worthwhile I guess but not a must see. You see the elephants in stables(?), see them preform some no longer used farm/field behaviors
(moving logs, etc), an elephant paints with his trunk and then you ride an elephant (in the middle stopping to buy your regular tourist items). The ride is through jungle and creeks and is pretty if you can avoid being in a long elephant line with other tourists.

Hope this helped alittle! Have a great trip!

Sadie

by mim95

Trekking in northern Thailand is quite commercial, and the profit goes mostly to the tour companies while the local don't receive much. I have a few links to more responsible trekking tours in my Chiang Rai page. Not all are based in Chiang Rai, however.

I've never been to the elephant sanctuary. But trekking on an elephant is usually offered as part of the trekking tour. I've never done elephant trekking (not intended to do so), but I've heard from a few people who have been on one that you really don't want to sit on one for more than an hour or two. It's not very comfortable.

by sezabell

i would recomend going further north to pai about 3 hours on the bus from chang mai, a great wee sleepy town. we planned on staying there for 2 nights but ended up there for 2 weeks.you can hire guids from there to do treks and if you want a really great experiance with elephants there is one elephant camp just out of pai where you actually get to swim with them. go into the river on there backs, no basket just bare back. its fantastic. we took my 9 year son at the time and he loved it got to feed them bananas first then the ride and in the river. just hold on cos the guys on the front of the elephants think its a great joke to tipe you off in the water, i told the young guy in front of me, if im going in so are you and yip he got pulled in with me.they let my hubby lead the elephant on the way back and we were having a race down the middle of the rd.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

2nd night we get to sleep on some bamboo pt 20

by herzog63

On our second night at the Lisu village where we got to have fun with the New Year Celebration we got deluxe beds!! Little strips of bamboo that were quite uneven and it took my back a little while to get used to it but it was better than sleeping on the mud floor like we did the night before.

KING INTHANON MEMORIAL SHRINE

by balhannah

King Inthanon Memorial Shrine houses the ashes of King Inthawichayanon (1870-1897), the 7th ruler of the last dynasty of Chiang Mai.

Before he passed away, King Inthawichayanon had commanded that his remains be placed at the top of Doi Inthanon. Located at the back of the marble plaque, is an english translation.
The Royal Thai Air Force built a small chedi next to the shrine in 1975.

It is located along a short nature trail that first goes to the highest point in Thailand, then continues on, and finishes at the Cafe.
It was gorgeous, the fog gave it that mysterious prescence, the Moss on the Elephant statues, the little houses and on the fences, all made this a very pretty place....
"for the King to be resting."

Doi Inthanon is to the west of Chiang Mai. Take Route 108 out of Chiang Mai, then between the towns of Khuang Pao and Chom Thong, turn right into Route 1009 which goes all the way to Doi Inthanon.........
OR
Visit on a day tour

Pedicab

by SumTingWong

To see central Chiang Mai I recommend going on a pedicab tour for an hour or so. You will visit Chiang Mai's most important Wats and areas and it is just a different way to see the city. These tours range in price, but are rarely above 150 Baht.

German Hofanbrahaus

by slasty about German Hofanbrahaus

Of all the places to find a great German Restaurant but in Chiang Mai. Thai staff are dressed in German uniforms and speak a little of the language. Restaurant has a German/Thai feel. Serves great German food and traditional German Beer. Very popular restaurant and once I tasted the food I knew why. Pretty reasonablty priced and can sit indoors or outdoors. Weiner Snitsznell

cool shower&bath

by xaver

Washing myself in a waterfall was an incredible experince, it's incredible how that water could be so cool even if the outside temperature made us burn.
The first day, after a six hours treck, that shower was like a big breath!

Comments