C H Hotel

More about Chiang Mai

Elephant rideElephant ride

AUMAUM

Wen and IWen and I

My friend and me at the main entranceMy friend and me at the main entrance

things to keep the kids amused

by sezabell

we will be in thailand for a month over xmas, have been to thailand many times and son has been when he was 9 but this trip we will have 3 teenagers and 2 pre schoolers so looking for things to do in the evenings to keep them amused, we will have about 1 week in chiang mai.
cheers

Re: things to keep the kids amused

by sombat_ch

Hi : For Chiangmai
- Chiangmai zoo visiting Giant panda "Linping family" and also Night Zoo
- Botany garden former world garden exhibition.
- Doi Suthep for cultural issue
- Doi Intanon for natural park.
Sombat Ch.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Thai language

by tim07

One thing that helped me was having the name & address of my hotel written in thai for me. It was useful as not all taxi & tuk tuk drivers spoke fluent english & my hotel wasn't one of the main ones. Obviously instead of this you could try & learn a bit of the local language yourself.

Get your best photo hand-painted

by yipsufen

Pick one of your best portrait photo and pack it into your luggage. You can transform your photo into a black & white portraint painting which is detailed and looks so... real. You really can't believe the painter there are so talented. Prices range from THB900 onwards, excluding postage charges to your home country.

live music

by kranstonakov about Pubs and Bars

on the main street there are a few bars, we popped into a rock themed bar just next to a large restaurant where Thai Rockers were playing some eagles and bob dylan covers, talented guitarists but it was hard to take the singing seriously, its not their fault, orientals just cant cover werstern songs!! the girls are nice down there and are extremely quick to invite you back to theirs. happy days.

BANANA ROTI

by aussiejen about on the streets

I had never had a banana roti until Chiang Mai. Now I know what everyone raves about! They are so yummy!!!
We discovered them one night while wandering around the night bazaar, couldn't keep us away after that.
Banana and egg with condensed milk and chocolate drizzled over the top.......what a way to go :) And so cheap too.
We liked the one on the corner of Chang Klan and Loi Kroh. You can't miss it if you walk down the main area of the night bazaar.

If you are going to Chiang mai

by sanukseeker

The Monk Chat at Wat Suan Dok is a must-try. The system in place was implemented pretty well as they would ensure that at least one senior monk (typically a year 4 English major student at the nearby Buddhist university) would be around to moderate the discussion. It was rather heartwarming to watch the display of camaraderie as the senior monk would patiently act as the go-between and encourage his juniors to speak up.

There was a flurry of exchange of people at my table as some monks had to return to their wats. Things started to pick up when two fresh participants sat down and our conversation somehow digressed to their extra-curricular activity as DJs. Apparently, the Buddhist University had set up their very own radio station to improve their students' speaking skills and exchange ideas about Buddhism. This radio station was established in early 2005 and its programmes can be broadcast to listeners who live within 15km from Wat Suan Dok!

Intrigued and excited, I asked them if I could have a look around their radio station. They readily obliged and brought me to the building across the room where Monk Chat was held. The DJs on that day welcomed me sincerely and before I knew it, I was declared as their "special guest" for their Easy Talk programme, which was scheduled between 6 to 7pm.

What I found most impressive was that the group of monks assembled before me came from various countries such as Laos, Cambodia, India, Bangladesh and of course, Thailand. Talk about a myriad of nationalities! It was then that I really appreciated how Chiangmai was a centre for aspiring Buddhists from Southeast Asia and beyond.

It was initially nerve-wracking for me, for i was afraid of sounding silly on air. But the friendly monks were so enthusiastic about finding out about Singapore that my inhibitions disappeared. I felt proud to be an unofficial ambassador for my nation and have this engaging exhange of ideas. All in all, one of the highlights of my trip.

Comments