Dusit D2 Hotel Chiang Mai

Agoda.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• dswitzer1's Profile Photo

Dusit D2

Traveling in June 2009 (recession), there were very, very few people in this hotel. That said -- the rates were good and the staff was very friendly. The breakfast buffet was excellent -- fuel for the entire day. The location was walking distance to markets. The hotel room was very nice, modern, recently remodeled. The lobby was very trendy -- DJ pumping tunes at the bar (but no one was ever at the bar). All in all a great place -- not a cheap place, but a very nice play to stay.

More about Dusit D2 Hotel Chiang Mai

Major disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member juridf

We stayed 2 nights at the hotel in may. The hotel have a prime location a few steps away from the nightmarket. The interior and the roomdesign are very modern and fresh. The bathrooms amenities are few and have a lot to be desired. While we were there they told us that the fitnesscenter were closed for 4 days......according to what other visitors on this site have said I think the truth is that its not finished yet, but I don't know. The reason I give this poor rating was due to the staff and their performance at the breakfast. First of all the hotel seems deserted, very few visitors. When we entered the breakfastrestaurant in the morning 5 waiters almost attacked us at the same time, trying to help us picking what to eat, what to order etcetc.. I understand they try to be helpfull and are probably very bored because of the low season but they did NOT behave as one would expect from a 5 star hotel. They need TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING. In 15 minutes they came to our table 10 times all asking the same questions, taking the plates before we were finished and without asking etc really not worthy of a dusit 5 star hotel. Normal standard is that you are served by 1 waiter but here it was 5 at a time - all very young - and while waiting for the next possibility to "help" us they stood 5 meters from our table looking and commenting and joking loudly with eachother while we were eating, a experience I could have been without. Futhermore the buffet was the poorest we had in our 3 weeks in Thailand, not at all what you would expect from a dusitowned hotel. Overall at present time this is NOT a 5 star hotel, mostly because of the inmature and unprofessional staff and for us 2 nights there was more than enough. Would I return to the D2? NO WAY.

Terrific!!

After we read a great article in the Conde Nast Traveller (US edition, May issue), my fiancee and I decided to stay at D2...it was a surperb experience!

This hotel exceeded our expections in many ways: It has a funky and hip design with a fun,casual but stylish environment. They really have a great team of dedicated, well trained, young and good looking staff with a delightful attitude: The sevice level is just amazing for a place that just opened few months ago...very impressive!

The deluxe room is a bit small but the design, amenities (flat screen TV, DVD player, etc) and furniture are nicely done. We loved the daily amenity in the "delight" plexiglass box...every day was a surprise! Very nice touch indeed. The bar and restaurant are great, the food was creative and tasty with reasonable prices. They also have their own "Thai lounge music" called Siam Soul...really really cool! We bought 2 CDs...

The locationof D2 is also an advantage: walking distance from the night bazaar,the Ping river, temples, shopping areas etc. We had a terrific time...D2 is highly recommended, we will be back for sure!

Brand new designhotel

by TripAdvisor Member TetraEurope

D2 is a nice new designhotel, and if you`ve been travelling in Asia for a while, it makes a really nice change from the standard 5 star hotels, which often looks the same wherever you go. Only one tip; the walls between the bedroom and bathroom arent actually walls,but windows. There are curtains to pull but if you`re a kind of person who needs a bit more privacy, its probably not the place for you. I however enjoyd taking a bath while looking at the sun setting behind the mountains..

Hip and Modern in a laid back city

by TripAdvisor Member foobor

You will be surprised such a new, modern and hip hotel is situated between the narrow and rocky lanes.

The location is excellent if you are really into the Night Bazaar and River restaurants. It is a nice place to hang and have a cocktail as you have spared minutes before the hotel shuttle arrives. The cocktail is reasonably priced ( at about 200-300 baht per drink).

D2 All The Way!

by TripAdvisor Member geespot

Totally LOVE this hotel. It's cool, sleek, and chic. Stayed for 6 nights, and used the hotel's
fitness center and spa. And both were nice. The staff is young, attractive, friendly and very attentive. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to others. However, one tiny drawback. In booking the hotel, ask for a room with a city view. My room, along with every other room on that side of the building looked out on a rather dumpy looking structure.

Top Notch Hotel

The D2 in Chiang Mai, Thailand is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

The hotel's decor is modern and refreshing. The staff is superb! Their English was the best of any of the hotels we stayed in in Thailand. The hotel is immaculate as is the service. Everything about this hotel is wonderful. It is right next to the night market, near the river and the old city. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Very funky!

by TripAdvisor Member cattravelling

Stayed at the D2 when I couldn't get the cost of the Chedi past my husband. Was very impressed. Managed to get a suite with separate lounge and change area. The hotel hasn't quite officially opened as yet but is still fully operational in regard to rooms and facilities.

Is very modern and funky with staff wearing converse shoes, braces and cravats! Rooms are great with plasma screens and DVDs (handy for checking cheap movies bought at the markets).

Had dinner in the restaurant one night and was quite impressed. More so a modern 'fusion' style rather than strictly thai.

Breakfast was great although part way through our stay it changed from being full buffet to just continental. Not sure the reason for this. Maybe not enough guests??

Would definitely recommend and is crazily close to the nightmarkets.

You Are In For a Super Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Radio_WRJPF

This is a wonderful hotel, with great managment and staff, in an absolutely superb location next to the night market ! As a new experimental venture of the major Thai owned hotel group it amazed me with its individuality which, frankly, had almost nothing to do with its parent group which I know and admire for their generally business destination and resort traditional type hotels. I am disabled with mobility problems so these comments reflect some of the problems that perhaps a 'fit' person would not have.

The hotel is in an extremely modern design decorated inside in peaceful colours with a distinctive orange theme throughout. The lobby is big and inviting which ends at the far end in the hotel's restaurant, a most comfortable place. Both the design and colours work and make the lobby a great place to lounge around or to have a drink (at a well thought out long bar...) and the lighting is good both daytime and night time.. However as is usually the case in super modern lobbies there is not one super comfortable chair if one just wants to sit instead of lounging on the oversize couches (which make me fall asleep!!) or sitting on modern stools at the bar and elsewhere.

We had a deluxe room which was small to medium size.To compensate for the relatively small size , I suppose, everything about the room is excellent ; there isn't one creature comfort missing and the pillows ( those who regularly read my reviews know how important these are ) are absolutely superb down and feather ones . The sheets are crisp cotton and the amenities are abundant and what one would expect in a 5 star hotel but with those little extras like a nice unusual gift, some edible, every single day, free mineral water day and night, coffee and tea tray and fortune cookies placed on the bed during the turn down service in the evening. There are some major design flaws however: The bathroom is small and the bath tub is impossible to get into for a disabled person , even with help(I later changed to a room with a shower which was fine). A nice touch would have been to be able to watch TV sitting in the tub, through the bathroom's glass wall....but the tub's facing the wrong way! And shame of shame for a Thai hotel: there is no bidet spray near the toilet...one of Thailand's most useful inventions ever. So whilst I give the room an 8 out of 10 ,the bathroom only gets a 6 out of 10.

You can see the small economies the owners made along the way starting with the way too small wall flat screen TV in the room, the limited cable TV service , the cheap shower fittings, and the poor finish throughout parts of the hotel . The pool area is very nice and comfortable with an efficient attendent ,but the ugly blank wall it faces needs to be dealt with urgently. The Spa and gym are good and everything has been been exceptionally well thought out and planned but not always well finished. The Spa's prices ,though ,are not sustainable.

The biggest asset, however,is the staff. They dress ultra casually in keeping with the style of the hotel and with no exceptions they are all young, good looking, polite ,attentive, without being overly formal , and I can honestly say every single one of them up to the GM (called 'Guru') himself ( a man with a super pleasant demeanour and a great collection of shirts...!) is 'delightful'. In fact that's their key word and you will find it used constantly in the hotel. I cannot think of one second, whilst there for 4 nights, that I thought otherwise(except for minor events below) .That being said, the 'minor' events ,though, that should be easy to fix :-- I am disabled and coming out of the car, laden with packages and my stick, in full view of three bell boys...not one came to help me into the hotel. Not nice.-- Breakfasts, on the mornings we had it in the room ,were cold by the time they got there (no warming cupboard on the trolley) and the room service waiter didn't seem to comprehend that eggs had to be served hot! But ,even so, 9 out of 10 for the staff!

9 out of 10 for the food also . It was excellent. We ate there on 2 occasions and the menu prices are justifiable and the food well prepared, well presented and delicious. The wine, as usual for Thailand, was just too expensive, however. They do have room service 24 hours a day.

So all in all a highly recommended experience smack in the centre of an interesting town(and above all the surroundings) and an experience in itself. Bravo D2! We shall be back.

Fantastic stay!

by TripAdvisor Member DCChris

We chose the D2 for our honeymoon while in Chiang Mai and absolutely loved it!! They remembered that it was our honeymoon and had made us a special cake that was delicious. If you are looking for a traditional Thai style hotel or a resort, this hotel is not for you. But, it fit everything that we wanted because it was centrally located near the night bazaar, riverside dining and not to far from the old city. The hotel staff was polite and very friendly. Even the manager came around and greeted guests. The staff remembered our faces and greeted us by name every time. Whatever shortcomings we may have experienced were not a problem given their great desire to please and their friendly attitudes. The room was comfortable and clean and we got a special treat every evening - from incense to edible treats. We would definitely stay again.

Need a bit off advice

by buffybird

So hubby and I are not adverse to backpacking or hotel-ling. So i want a place near action, i read in Chiang Mai it should be near the Night Bazaar.. So im looking at the suriwongse hotel... but then i read from VTeers that spicy thai backpackers good also....
I don't like to walk to places but all i want is an aircon room, a clean bed and preferably our own bathroom. We always happy to meet with other travellers though...

Can anyone help us to pick a place to stay for six nights...... Chiang Mai new to us and my head is exploding with the places on offer...

Cheers Heather

by balhannah

I stayed at 3sis in Chiang Mai, it was lovely, walked right outside to the night market. This though, I think maybe the different one to what you want, it is the Sunday market.
tuk tuk is very cheap, I walked to other market.
Have a look at my Chiang Mai page.
Have a great time, I want to return, especially for the markets!

by tenluk

last visited Chiang Mai, I stayed at Suriwongse hotel, this hotel is okay with its best loscation surrounding by the night market and easy to find food expecially Thai food. If you would like to visit Warorot market , it is easy taking Tuk Tuk not too expensive. Chiang Mai is interested for its night market in the town, if you would like to see something special then you have gone out of the city like visiting the hot spring, then golden triangle , chiang rai and so on.. take the local tour. Hope this can help.
Have a nice holiday.

by tduangpo

Checkout www.vivacityhome.com

Standard room is really cheap... It s garden is beautiful with 2 swimming pools

by gonnabeatravelbug

When are you going Heather?? I'm going for the first time in April next year during Songkran. Please say you are going during that time!!! :)

I've looked at hotels and I think I'm staying at Dusit D2.

Mervyn