Mae Rim-Samoeng Old Rd, Mae Rim, Chiang Mai, 50180, Thailand

Agoda.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 99% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• joyful_sun's Profile Photo

One of the 1000 Places You Must See Before You Die

If you're looking for a '5 star-Get Away from it all' kind of experience in Chiang Mai, then this is the place to stay. Four Seasons is not in the city town center but a leisurely 20 minute drive away. It is nestled at the foothills of a mountain, with magnificent views of fields and trees. I didn't stay here but had lunch instead after coming from the Mae Sa Elephant Camp. Reason why we decided to drop by was I saw that this was listed in the book 1000 Places you must see before you die, so I guess this one's ticked off my list.

Most interesting part of the resort is the view of the rice terrace with the mountain in the backdrop. Service while we were there was excellent. Not snooty, but rather very welcoming and friendly staff. For accommodations, private luxury villas await you here which is perfect for honeymooners and couples. There are tasteful design and decor shops just outside the hotel for some shopping, and on the road where the hotel is located, you can find elephant camps, jungle treks, horse riding and lots more nature / outdoor activities.

Unique Quality: Magnificent view of rice paddies with a mountain backdrop !

Directions: It's on the way to the Mae Sa Elephant Camp

• lareina's Profile Photo

Luxury at its Best

The beautiful Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai (previously known as the Regent Chiang Mai Resort & Spa) is located in the Mae Rim Valley and faces terraced rice paddies and mountains.

We stayed in one of the Lanna-style pavillions overlooking the pool. The decor was simple, yet elegant and everything was spotlessly clean. The service was excellent in every area. I enjoyed that each accomodation has its own private outdoor living room complete with a resting couch and table and chairs. It felt like I was in my own piece of paradise.

Unique Quality: There was a pool, jacuzzi, and bar located down the hill towards the rice paddies. The food and drinks in the Pool Bar and in the Sala Mae Rim dining room were excellent. Also, the spa is a must. It is decorated in rich, earthy colors and offers relaxing, therapeutic treatments by friendly, professional staff members.

I recommend this hotel highly for a luxury vacation. The facilities in conjunction with the exotic setting make it an uncomprable get-away. I wish I never had to leave!

More about Four Seasons Chiang Mai

Cooking School - Thai cuisine

by morganbear

I try to do a cookery class on each holiday, and do my research before hand. I love thai food so much it was an important part of the things we wanted to do. I short listed 6 places including Chiang Mai Kitchen Cooking School, Baan Thai, The Four Seasons, Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School. But I wanted to see them for myself to make sure they were what they claimed. I visited most of them, and after one day couldn’t find what I wanted, and it was by pure chance that the Rachamankha Hotel recommended Kao Hom.

My criteria included…as we were going in April their hottest month, I wanted to ensure we weren’t going to melt whilst cooking. You hear about Bird Flu, so I wanted it to be clean. I didn’t want to be part of a large group, and wanted to be taught by a Thai person, who spoke good English. Whilst I wanted the best, I didn’t want to pay the earth, as some charge $150 a day and others pad out the time with a trip to a market. I know this was asking a lot, so I would have compromised. But..

Kao Hom satisfies all of this and more, better than I could have dreamed of. Image cooking open air, on like a large veranda, which is shaded by some trees in a beautiful garden. You over look an immaculate herb garden that even Jamie Oliver would be proud of. Your very polite chef teaches you to cook exquisite food, at your own pace, whilst more mundane tasks are carried out by 5 helpers who ensure that your time and efforts are focused on learning, cooking and eating. What seems to be unbelievable food, that you hope to get from the most expensive and best restaurants, turns out to be what you have just cooked!! Other cookery schools can learn from this experience, both in Thailand and all over the world. If there was a star rating for cookery schools, like there are for hotels, this would be one of the very few 7 Star hotels. Tell your friends but not the but the mass tour operators, as Tim will only deal with small groups.

A brilliant cookery school

COOKING SCHOOL: COOKING SCHOOL Chiang Mai

by morganbear

Kao Hom satisfies all of this and more, better than I could have dreamed of. Image cooking open air, on like a large veranda, which is shaded by some trees in a beautiful garden. You over look an immaculate herb garden that even Jamie Oliver would be proud of. Your very polite chef teaches you to cook exquisite food, at your own pace, whilst more mundane tasks are carried out by 5 helpers who ensure that your time and efforts are focused on learning, cooking and eating. What seems to be unbelievable food, that you hope to get from the most expensive and best restaurants, turns out to be what you have just cooked!! Other cookery schools can learn from this experience, both in Thailand and all over the world. If there was a star rating for cookery schools, like there are for hotels, this would be one of the very few 7 Star hotels. Tell your friends but not the mass tour operators, as Tim will only deal with small groups.

A bit dated but still a wonderful resort!

by TripAdvisor Member FMUBSU

I just returned from the Four Seasons Chiang Mai. Although it is showing its age just a bit, this is still a very beautiful resort. The landscaping is indeed spectacular. We stayed at one of the residences and it is well worth the extra cost. It is HUGE and decorated with wonderful traditional Thai accents, furniture and antiques. Each residence has a live in butler. I was at first very hesitant about having someone with us to wait on us hand and foot. However, Tommy was one of the most charming, friendly, competent and capable staff members I have ever met. Her bedroom is in the rear corner by the kitchen. Like I said, I am not used to having someone cater to my every need, but I actually came to enjoy it. Tommy was unobtrusive but always around. It was quite a treat but nonetheless takes some getting used to.

The service is typical of Four Seasons and the Thai people in general.. absolutely fantastic! The food was excellent as well. The pools are nice and provide pleasant views. It is a working rice plantation and every day at 5PM a drum would beat to signal the end of the day. The field employees marched in single file to exit the resort. The rooms looked nice but the buildings looked a tad worn on the outside. Perhaps this is what a traditional Thai village is supposed to resemble. The main pools for the residences were nice and the plunge pool at the individual private residences were wonderful. The pools and bathrooms are a little dated. Everything is well maintained but in need of a “soft” update. It just suffers a bit by comparison since we had just stayed at the Four Seasons Golden Triangle Tented Camp before our arrival here and at FS Langkawi last year. Our residence was next to a busy road, so that detracted from the otherwise tranquil setting. I think this is indicative of what is happening to Chiang Mai in general. It is becoming suburbia at its worst! Still, Chiang Mai is a good bet. Splurge and stay at a residence. You will not regret it. A word of caution is needed. Be careful walking on the paths. The uneven cobblestone covered with grass can be slick and treacherous.

spent a wonderful 4 night here

We stayed here for 4 nights for a fantastic stay. Wonderful resort with beautiful teak pavillion rooms.we has upper floor pavillion which was great with view of mountains. Recommed romantic dinner on the salsa for 2 at 1900 bahts - wonderful. They light up the salsa area with candals and the sevice is excellent. Enjoyed the spa and all facilites. Wine and drinks are expensive here, which is our only complaint.

The breakfast was excellent the best we experienced in Thailand. Cant wait to go back again.

by TripAdvisor Member redpoppies

The one thing that stands out for me at this overall excellent resort is the service. Everyone seems to know your name after your fist night and nothing is to much trouble.
The rooms were loverly and the food excellent especially the Thia resteraunt. Apart from the wine I was pleasently suprised at the cost of the eating and drinking in the hotel. A two course meal with beer was about £30. It was easy to go over the £100 mark though if you wanted fillet steak and red wine.

Best rooms over lookover the paddy fields. I would sugest blocks 1 to 4 on the first floor.

Spectacular!

by TripAdvisor Member Splaw

This is one of the best properties we've stayed at in the world for pure wow factor. The rooms are huge, great decorations, a porch to sit on, the bathroom huge and your own shrine outside the large ceiling-to-floor windows in the bath. The whole property overlooks a working rice paddy. Yes, it can look contrived at times, but it's still a great setting. The infinity pool is wonderful and the cooking school is something to look into (we did not). Meals are just wonderful--we stuck with Thai during our stay. We toured the spa and that may be worth the visit alone. The downside--if you are active, activities are limited on the property. But be sure you go to the elephant conservation camp about 30 minutes away and take the hour long ride. You won't forget it. We wished we had spent a whole week at this marvelous resort.

Absolute Heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member evostick

After returning from a week here I cannot praise the hotel highly enough.

The rooms are amazing, there is no difference between the facilities of each room, however, if you can stretch to the Rice Paddy view it is certainly worth it.

The staff are brilliant too. They have a wicked sense of humour and nothing is too much to make your stay perfect. My father asked one of the gym staff in passing if he knew what had happened in the Grand Prix and after apologising that he didn't know the guy then came back an hour later with the results and an English paper for him to read the write up!

The restaurants are all superb although expensive by Thai standards. The hotel's shuttle bus into Chiang Mai is a great way to get out and about.

The Four Seasons is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and my standards are high! I will defintately be going back again.

Itenerary - Comments welcome!!

by TMANPOOL

It's still a tentative itenerary (only till this weekend) so any feedback changes would be much appreciated:

July 4th-17th

Bangkok
2 Nights at either Banyan Tree or Four Seasons

Chiang Mai
4 Nights at Four Seasons Chiang Mai (Garden View)

Phuket
3 Night at Amanpuri (Pavillion - Garden)

Koh Samui
3 Nights at Napasai Pansea (Sea View Cottage)

Bangkok
2 Nights at either Banyan Tree or Four Seasons

That's all folks. Thanks for the help!

RE: Itenerary - Comments welcome!!

by johnaalex

Looks like you like the good life! One tip, there is (or at least, was last time I checked earlier this year) one flight a day non-stop from Chiang Mai to Phuket on Thai. Please check my travel pages for some more info on Thailand.

Regards

John

RE: RE: Itenerary - Comments welcome!!

by TMANPOOL

Thanks for the reply John. Who doesn't like the good life?? Will definately check out your Thailand page. Any idea abot the The Chedi at Chiang Mai? How are The Chedi's in general.

Thanks for your help.

RE: RE: Itenerary - Comments welcome!!

by johnaalex

Well, there is "liking" and "affording" ;-)

Sorry I have not stayed at the Chedi.

Regards