Grand Apartment

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Chiang Mai

HIS TRUNK WAS LIKE A BIG WET VACUUM CLEANER HOSEHIS TRUNK WAS LIKE A BIG WET VACUUM CLEANER HOSE

Fun in the mudpit at Elephant Nature ParkFun in the mudpit at Elephant Nature Park

Naga steps leading to Wat Phra That Doi SuthepNaga steps leading to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

Hot water basins to cook your eggs for lunch-timeHot water basins to cook your eggs for lunch-time

Which part of city?

Hi

Which part of the city do you think we should look for hotels in? Will it be more convenient than other parts if we stay within the walled city - will that add to our experience at all? Or will it be crowded and not worth the bother?

This is our first trip to the city and we were thinking of doing all the 'usual' stuff. We live in Bangkok now so we'll be seeking out more of the greenery than temples (they are so samey!!)

Thank you heaps!

by mansionion

Hi!

I suggest you stay close to the nite market area (Chang Klan road). However, if you don't like the crowd maybe its better to stay within the walled city area instead.

-m-

by SirHalberd

I like the area near the Thapae Gate. I have used the Montri Hotel several times, located on 2-6 Ratchadamnoen Road. (Montri Hotel has air, hot water, private toilet in the room, security box, etc.) Other more expensive and cheaper hotels in this area.

There is a "flea market" at the gate, internet shops, restaurants, travel agents in this area. You can walk to the night market from this location.

Hal

by Fernandocramos

I stayed at Suringwonse Hotelinthe denter in front of Night Market, and it was perfect cause we could go shoping and dining and come back to the hotel in 2 minutes.

by bikethailand

I agree with Sir Halberd! He really seems to know his stuff from other postings I have seen him on. The Montri is a great little hotel in a fantastic area. If you live in Bangkok, you won't think of Chiang Mai as crowded. I also recommend a hotel called the BP Chiang Mai that has just been newly renovated last year. I am not sure what the rates are but you should check online. If you are looking for something a little more refined but not too pricy then you might want to check on the Amora Hotel, which is practically right across the City Wall from the Montri. If you like cobblestone streets and a night market with genuine handmade crafts and other stuff, make sure you are in town for the Sunday Night Market where they close the roads off in Old Town and people come from all around to sell their crafts, food, and other stuff. It is so much nicer than the "Night Bazaar" tourist trap stuff and it is literally right next to the Montri and around the corner from the BP Chiang Mai and many others.

Have a great time!

Chris@tourdethailand.com
081-173-4469

by rohinimol

Thanks for your feedback! I'm looking for hotels now. I'm hoping to find one of those beautiful Thai-style hotels (like Tamarind Village) for a lower price.

by lizzieban

Hi,
have you considered baan orapin? small thai style villas on the river. we satyed there last year, good price ,good location( not too touristy)close to restaurants and just a walk across a footbridge into the markets. We just loved it! The owner is wonderful also, and very helpful. and yummy breakfast is provided.I did alot of reserch before going, (did look at tamarind and others in similar style ) But bann orapin turned out to be a perfect choice.
hope this helps.
lizzieban.

by rohinimol

Wow. Thank you for all your tips. I'll look up Baan Orapin, if not that I think we'll end up at Montri. I love the idea of being in the old city, it sounds so atmospheric!

by Mikebb

Hi We stayed down near the Night Bazaar, there is plenty of activity in this area,photos of our hotel , night bazaar etc on my CM pages.
Good Luck,
Mike

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Hitting the hills....part 22

by herzog63

The 3 rd day was going to give us a strange twist and quite a bit of hard hiking. We got up early and had some rice for breakfast and were on our way fairly early. I was pretty much fully recovered from the first second days stomach problems that I had. And I was feeling good about hiking. This was a day when some of us where feeling quite strong a couple in the group were not. I think their legs were feeling like rubber and really sore as the pain in their legs finally caught up with them. So a small group of us with one of the guides would walk ahead for 30 minutes or so and then find a good spot and then wait for the rest of the group to catch up. We did this a few times in the morning until we reached a village where we would be taking our lunch. It was a great village of what I think were Yao people. The kids were shy yet always curious of us. It was fun playing games to make them laugh. Some of the kids would only hide behind their mothers. After our wonderful lunch..Not the food just the kids and the people were wonderful. The food was plain rice soup with something else floating in it. It was ok but I was just getting tired of eating the same thing every day! I wasn't expecting any special food either....
After we said our good-byes to the kids we were on our way. The next stretch of hiking had alot up uphill walking and not much down hill! I enjoyed the scenery as we could see a couple of villages on the hill sides. At one point we were on a stretch of the trail and a couple of guys came out of the bushes carrying some really long rifles. At first I was a little startled as the year before my roommate from Alaska had been caught in a hold-up on a hill tribe trek and all of the people in their group lost all of their valuables! So I thought that might be happening now! Our guide greeted them and spoke with them for a minute or so and he told us they were hunting for small game. Wheewwww! I was glad they were'nt hunting for foreigners!

MAERIM MONKEY SCHOOL

by balhannah

Monkeys here perform tricks, such as playing basketball, riding tricycles, doing counting exercises and a demonstration of how monkeys climb trees and retrieve coconuts.
They also ask for you to throw some coins in a small pool, then the Monkey leaps in, and retrieves them.

There is some audience participation, nothing drastic!
YOU ALSO ARE ABLE TO HAVE YOUR PHOTO TAKEN WITH THE MONKEY SITTING ON YOUR LAP FOR FREE.

The show runs continuously, so if you arrive halfway through one, you stay and watch the beginning of the next show. Each show lasts for 30minutes.

To feed the monkeys, you can buy some food for 20t/b

I felt sorry for the Monkey performing, as he continuously had to do the same thing, and whether it was in the show or not, HE WAS NOT HAPPY, baring his teeth at a lady.
I felt sorry for all the Monkeys here, so its up to you if you want to go and see it.

ADMISSION IN 2009 was 200t/b
OPEN DAILY 9 - 4.15 PM SHOWS ARE CONTINUOUS
LOCATION......295 Moo 1, Mae Rim - Samoeng Rd., Mae Rim, Chiang Mai

Onto Laos

by deeper_blue

If you want to experience the boat ride on the Mekong river across the border in Laos, you can get there by bus from Chiang Mai. Take the bus to Chiang Kong and from there you can organise everything.

Cafe Yen....Ice Coffee in a Bag

by BorderHopper about Chiang Mai Market

Cafe Yen (Thai Ice Coffee): 1 Shot of strong caffinated coffee, a spoonfull or two of sweetend condensed milk, and a cup of ice. If you need a pick me up and can't stand the thought of downing a cup of hot coffee in the humid weather so common in Thailand you should try a cold bag of cafe yen. Cafe Yen is the Thai name for Ice coffee and you can find this sweet , cold, coffee drink at just about any market. If you want the drink to go then they'll prepare it for you and pour it into a plastic bag with a rubber band and a straw. Now, that's the perfect drink for when you're on the run.

jungle treks

by norain

Forested mountains, high valleys, meadows, and terraced rice fields to remote hilltribe settlements... wa wa .. I miss that.
There are many places to explore .i.e, Doi Inthanon National Park, Chiang Dao Cave, Doi Lanka Luang and many more.

Comments