Le Meridien Chiang Mai

108 Chang Klan Raod, Tambol Chang Klan, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand
Booking.com Agoda.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 63% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Le Meridien Chiang Mai

Le Meridien Chiang Mai...take me away!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member NYCshopper

We booked the hotel based upon it being a Starwood property. We loved the location right by the night Bazaar and right in the center of town. It was close to everything....and there were restaurants and spa's in close proximity for those who prefer not to eat or spa at the hotel. Breakfast was excellent and included in our room rate.

The room was new and spectacular....GREAT bedding, every modern convenience. Staff was excellent and could not have been more friendly. The decor of the hotel was fabulous and modern and we loved that it was cool and clean. The pool area was small but adequate and we swam and enjoyed the gym which was well outfitted.

We stayed at the Four Seasons last time and found it to be too far out of town and away from everything....you are really stuck there. Fabulous hotel for doing nothing....but this hotel gave us far more diverse options at 1/3 the price and we didn't have to decide what we were going to do two days in advance for everything. Le Meridien made it all easy.

This is a welcome addition to the Chiang Mai hotel scene and I will most definitely return.

A Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Privateman

Le Meridien Chiang Mai, must be one of its best properties. It has great rooms. Excellent service.

Its Gym and business services are very good. It can safely be said as the best hotel in Chiang Mai.

Good hotel, great value

by TripAdvisor Member BusYawbus

We were in Chiang Mai for 5 days in April and opted to stay in two hotels for our 3-year-old son's sake as he likes to explore new places (staying in a different hotel is like going to a different city !). We stayed the first two nights in Meridien and the subsequent two nights in Shangri-la (will review it later).

First off, I travel extensively for work and so my expectation is high. This hotel surpassed my expectation in term of service. The staff were very attentive right from the time we checked in and were especially impressive during our breakfast time (a very good selection of breakfast BTW - frankly much better then Shangri-la's, which was another surprise for me).

The only things that were a bit disappointing to us were (1) they didn't have a kids club, which our son was looking forward to. But on the other hand this encouraged him to go out more which was not that bad after all. (2) they didn't have a tennis facility but again that most probably wouldn't bother most people at all but just me. (3) their swimming pool was small.

All in all I'd still say this is a very good hotel.

We needed a little luxury and our stay here was certainly luxurious!

by TripAdvisor Member AlbertaWriter

The Le Meridien in Chiang Mai is a newer property and it shows- the rooms, the fitness centre and the pool, the common areas and the restaurants- are all bright, clean and function well. I can't really comment fairly on the value of the property against the cost as we purchased a night here on points. (I don't even know the room rate.) For us, though, the one night was stayed here was wonderful. We'd been trekking for several days and hadn't had a proper shower. Our guesthouse in Chiang Mai was lovely, but our 11 year old wanted a pool and the weather certainly warranted one. We'd stay here again, even be willing to book an internet rate deal. Practical considerations: If you, like us, are looking for ways to save $ while traveling, there is a 7-11 less than 1/2 block away, an internet cafe within spitting distance of the hotel and tons of restaurants where a breakfast is $3.50 instead of 12.50. The rooms have refrigerators, so we stocked up on beer and pop and snacks from the 7-11. A market sets up in front of the hotel every afternoon and you can find great deals. Start bargaining at 1/3 to 1/2 of the original price they offer. One thing I discovered was that there are some things at this market you won't find anywhere else. I expected I'd see the same items at the Sum Laum night bazaar in Bangkok at the end of our trip and I was disappointed I didn't. I didn't buy in Chiang Mai because I didn't want to haul it around. So...if you see something you LOVE, it's a good idea to bargain for it- you may not see it again.

New hotel in a great location, let down only by sub-par service

by TripAdvisor Member CeeJay_AU

We saw this hotel being built and were eager to try it out on a subsequent visit. We missed the grand opening by just a week or two when we visited Chiang Mai late last year and were impressed by the package they offered for the Songkran festival (Thai New Year) which included a 1-hour foot massage in the hotel spa plus daily breakfast for 2,999 baht (including taxes).

Things got off to a poor start when the three doormen thought it would be more appropriate to chat amongst themselves rather than to actually open the door for the two of us who were checking in with all of our baggage. The check-in staff weren't too clear on the fact that our package included a foot massage, so the process took a little longer than usual but it wasn't a great problem. Our room was understandably modern and well appointed.

The pool and fitness area are great, and the very beautiful ladies in the spa offered a very professional -- but gentle -- foot massage. Chiang Mai is our "pamper place" where you can easily find an good, strong, 1-hour foot massage for 150 baht -- which we would actually recommend over the hotel spa if you don't need the trappings of luxurious surroundings and inflated prices.

One area of the hotel that does have service under control is the dining room. The hotel breakfast was great, with a wide selection of eastern and western food options, plus bakery and fruit.

1-hour of complimentary wi-fi access is available each day in the hotel lobby, but you'll be charged a hefty fee if you need more.

Compliments to the hotel Concierge for offering to negotiate a reasonable 150 baht rate for an airport transfer with a Meter Taxi (yes, the "Meter" Taxis in Chiang Mai use negotiated fares and not the meter itself).

This hotel has great potential if only they can sort out the kinks in their level of service. Noticing little things like staff who should wait for all guests to exit the elevator before they do may seem picky, but should be a part of standard customer service and etiquette. They have only been open for less than 6 months, but we feel this should be sufficient time to get these minor details sorted out.

All things considered the hotel is very good, but making the commitment to improve customer service will see it move up to something special.

Great Location and Value

by TripAdvisor Member WorldWanderMan

The Le Meridian is a very nice new hotel in the center of the town.

LOCATION:
It's right in the middle of the night market and about a 15 minute walk to the old city. Also a good 10 minute walk to the local night market (stall that sell day to day items, clothes and food most intended for the locals). If you get tired of thai food and absolutely need a taste of the west, there's a McDonalds, Starbucks and Burger King right accross the street from the hotel. Taxi ride from the Airport was a fixed rate of about 150 baht if memory serves.

FACILITIES
The hotel is new and has a very modern styling. There's a very nice pool that overlooks the town. If you want to layout, the chairs can be a bit limited so you may want to get there early although it wasn't an issue when I was there. There's a great gym on site as well. The equipment looked all new.

The rooms were average in size for a hotel of this level and very nice and clean. Bathrooms had a great rain shower head. Good room as everything worked the way it should. One hour of internet access via Wi Fi or through the business center was complimentary when I was there. Very useful as it can be annoying expensive at other places.

STAFF AND SERVICE
Check in was efficient and friendly. The front desk staff was very good and helpful.

I probably went to the concierge a couple times a day. Concierge staff was helpful and polite. Their english was good although at times I don't think they fully understanded my questions at times. As such I would say for normal questions and request they were great. For more complicated questions and requests you may need to confirm your understanding to make sure you are both on the same page. They did seem seem to sincerely try to help whenever they can which was very refreshing.

There is a bar in the Lobby. The bartenders/waitresses were great and very friendly. While the drinks were expensive, grabbing a drink at the bar at the end of the day was a highlight. The bartenders and waitress made you fell like you were right at home and a good source of local information. Good conversations that also help give some insights on how the locals really live day to day. If you go start up friendly conversation with the ladies behind the bar....just be aware that you'll be paying western prices for drinks.

Breakfast was excellent and service was very efficient.

Housekeeping services was terrific......they noticed that I had some wet clothes drying in the bathroom and they went ahead and dried it for me and folded it upon my return. Great Service. Very nice touch.

OTHER NOTES:
This hotel was a great value at less than a 100 USD a night. I used the hotel website which seemed to be the best deal.

Hotel is about a 15 minute ride to the bus station in case you want to go to Chaing Rai. See my Chaing Rai bus post for more information.

The only one minor annoyance was that for some reason there were an awful lot of misquitos in the lobby. Not sure why that was as they ussually keep the lobby doors closed.

OVERALL:
The hotel was terrific. Great combination of service, new rooms and good location. The staff was extremely helpful. Given that it's a new hotel I think they were still trying to drive traffic. Once word gets out expect the price so I would be suprised to see prices go up eventually from here.

Great hotel- superior service, location and rooms!

by TripAdvisor Member Sciammy

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights during a 3 week trip through Thailand. We really enjoyed this hotel. I struggle to think of any drawbacks- they placed us on a brand new floor so our room was immaculate and large. The bathroom was clean with a great shower and a big bath tub. The bed was very comfortable. The TV had a lot of Enlish channels which was kind of nice for the down time. I used the spa and fitness room- both of which were outstanding quality- the fitness room was huge with a lot of machines and weights. The spa was beautiful and peaceful. The pool was perfect- infiniti pool with a couple of little hideaway spots. What we enjoyed most was the service- the staff were very attentive, helpful and friendly. They helped us with restaurants, taxis, and info on the area. This was the highlight of our stay in Thailand- and we didn't want to leave! In booking our trip, we did look at the Four Seasons but decided on the Le Meridian- and I am so glad we did- I can't think of anything we didn't get here that we would have got at the other hotel.

We liked it so much we extended our stay!

by TripAdvisor Member pippakay

Loved, loved, loved this hotel! My husband and I had two visits planned to Chiang Mai during an extended holiday in Thailand, and we liked the hotel so much that we changed our plans and added a third visit to Chiang Mai and the Le Meridien. We've stayed at the Mandarin and the Chedi in the past, but you can't beat the Le Meridien.

The staff is terrific, warm and polished; we had wonderful interactions with many of the employees, especially the hotel manager, Ursula, who couldn't have been more welcoming or professional. We so enjoyed meeting her! As a platinum member with Starwood/SPG, I can tell you that platinums are well received and taken care of. The lounge is wonderful and a terrific place to start or end your day.

The hotel is gorgeous, inside and out--I even love the color of the building! I got lost one afternoon wandering around the city, and was able to find my way back by looking up for the distinctive yellow color. It's a lovely property. Rooms are beautiful, new and modern. The lobby and common areas are gorgeous as well.

You may not come to Thailand for Italian food, but if you don't try eating at least once at the Italian restaurant, Favola, you're missing a terrific meal. We had two dinners and a Sunday brunch there, and all were good to downright breathtaking.

Hotel's location is wonderful, just walk out the door and you're in the Night Market. There's a Starbucks, a Boots and a McDonald's close by if you need that sort of thing...and it's easy to catch a tuk-tuk, a songtaow or a taxi. The staff hotel is happy to arrange one for you, of course, and will even help with the negotiations if necessary!

My only quibble--and it is a quibble--is that the 'music'/ambient sound in the elevators is too loud. Hearing the horses gallop or the water sloshing around at 7am was just a bit much. Other than that, it's a perfect property!

I can't wait to go back.

Best hotel ever!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mezza83

This hotel is gorgeous! Stayed here for 5 nights during our honeymoon. The entrance is amazing and so modern. Beautiful decor and fittings.
Staff are so helpful and friendly and dressed beautifully.
Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to stay and staying at this hotel made it 10 out of 10.
Breakfast was the best ever. So many foods to choose from!!!
Swimming pool was lovely. Great view and nice spa. Everything was so clean and i would definately stay here again!!

Nature TrailNature Trail

Food VendorFood Vendor

Phad ThaiPhad Thai

Bhuping Palace, Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai, ThailandBhuping Palace, Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hotels

4 Imperial Mae Ping

by expatbangkok

Raming Lodge

by GrumpyDiver

I agree with Expat. We stayed at Raming Lodge in March and would certainly recommend it.

by yvr

Take a look at the Empress.

by TogetherTrips

If you prefer to stay in 4 of these hotels. I would recommend you to stay at 1. Centara Duang Tawan hotel or 2. Imperial Mae Ping because there are located in the central of Night Bazarr area and hotels are new too. You can just walk to Night bazarr, find places to eat, catch different type of transporation to go anywhere and easy to walk around the city too.

But if you prefer to stay in a newest chic hotel. you can try Le meridien Chiang mai as well.

have a nice day.

by kidfree

Don`t rule out the Star Hotel. Behind Duang Tawan and a 2 minute walk to the night market. No pool but has shared use with the hotel across the road.
Rooms are very comfortable, esp deluxe but more western style than Raming Lodge, Raming Lodge is very good but a bit more expensive, good location again and excellent spa if you like that sort of thing.

by rhiz

hi..maybe just take a look the Downtown inn hotel..its just near to the night market.

by GrumpyDiver

Raming to night market is s 10 minute walk. We were there in March.

by kingdombiz

Suriwong hotel is dirty and smell due to bad housekeeping. The other 3 are good. Depends on your budget.

Comments