Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi

51 / 4 Chiang Mai-Sankampaeng Rd Moo 1, Tambol Tasala, Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai, 50000, Thailand

Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 85% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• WoodyWoodpecker's Profile Photo

Breathtakingly beautifull

Everything you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental plus the really spectacular design.

Two accomodation types exist:
    "Colonial Suites": What it must have been like to live as a british ambassador in the far east. Similar design to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore.
    Generous size Living and bed-rooms, huge bathroom with whirlpool, , airy, bright, high ceiling, wooden floors & carpets, what I'd call "city style" luxury.
    Set in two story buildings.

"Villas": Thai style luxury, all wooden structures, "thai country style" luxury. Some villas with own pools. Carefull when selecting villas, as some villas feature an outside staircase connecting the downstairs living room to the upstairs bedroom. ... a bit strange.

Rooms in both categories start at roughly the same price level. While some Villas obviousely can offer more space, privacy and partly even an own pool, it's more a question of your own taste than price which should guide your choice.

Food: One each: Thai / French / Chinese / "World / Mediterranean" restaurants plus a coffee shop with bakery.

Thai: Food quality & service very good, nightly entertainment (nice, interesting, not obstrusive)
    Chinese: Food quality good, service very good. Located in the shopping village which belongs to the hotel.

"World / Mediterranean": Very nice breakfast with all imaginable options. Lunch/dinner at fair prices with a bit limited selection, but very good quality and service.
    As allways in Thailand, plenty of nice fruit juices & drinks available. Climate too warm and prices too high for wine.

French: Not tried. Overpriced.

Garden / Swimming Pools:
    Very very beautifull and perfectly maintained. Two huge pools, with mostly no or only very few guests.
    Colonial Pool in a strict square layout
    Villa pool in a free form, multi layer layout overlooking the rice fields.
    Must be seen to believe it.

Overall: The mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi IS very expensive, but it is one of a kind.
    Bring enough spare memory or film for your camera.

Unique Quality: Unique, outstandingly beautifull Thai / Lanna / Burmese design & architechture.
    Successfull blend/mix of regional culture with every modern convenience you can think of.
    Rice fields part of the hotel grounds

Directions: About 5 km east of the old city center.
    Taxis are easy to get an not expensive.

More about Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi

I think we found heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member rlg1977

For anyone who has ever watched the TV show "Inside the Actor's Studio," you know that James Lipton asks guests a series of questions (written by someone who's name is escaping me right now) which includes, "If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?" Our answer without a doubt is, welcome back to The Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai.

My husband and I spent one month in Asia this past year, and we ended the trip in Chiang Mai. After the chaos and insanity of Bangkok, this property put us both into a state of relaxation we'd never experienced before. We spent our days eating and getting massages (The Oasis Spa in town is fantastic, inexpensive, and they will pick you up / drop you off at The Mandarin), and our evening eating more and wandering this incredible property. Everywhere you look is fantastic. We booked one of the converted Rice Barns by the vegetable garden. It was spacious, well appointed, and just peaceful. Upstairs was our bedroom, bathroom, and balcony. Downstairs was an outdoor living room and dining room. All were exactly what you hope for when you book something that is luxurious, yet unique to the location.

The rice patties are beautiful. You can take a bridge over them and head to the pool for lunch. The staff is helpful, professional, and almost invisible. for instance, at sundown the entire property is lit up with oil torches, yet we never saw anyone lighting anything. Everytime we left our room, housekeeping would make the bed, or drop off towels, yet we never saw a single housekeeper. It bordered on bizarre. We tried the Thai restaurant and thought it was fantastic. The soft shell crab appetizer is worth its weight in gold.

We're already planning our trip back next year!

Fantastic doesn't describe it!

by TripAdvisor Member KimofOz

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Dhara Devi. After traveling throughout the world, I can say that it is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. Yes, it is expensive, but well worth it for the quality and service. Nothing has been overlooked from either a designer or guest standpoint. The grounds are stunning with antiques and luxurious oriental rugs placed in all the roofed open air structures. The public areas and accomodations reflect a mix of Thai, Laotian, Burmese and Chinese architecture - a true feast for the eyes if you are an architecture enthusiast. A book in the library "Lanna Renaissance" will tell you more about the details of the Lanna culture as well as origins of the Dhara Devi buildings. It is a unique experience to be able to enjoy all the different architecture showcasing the region - Disneyland, I think not!!
We were in a 2 bedroom villa (actually 2 one bedroom villas with a common entryway) with our 3 children occupying one of the villas while my husband and I had the other. It was lovely with absolutely stunning views over the rice fields. The location was good in that we were very close to the kids club as well as next door to the health club and the tropical pool. As the resort is large, this location worked well for us as we could easily walk to all the restaurants and the other pool when we wished. Of course, the buggies and horse-led carts (the children loved this) were also available.
The French restaurant, Farang Ses, was a real treat but we especially enjoyed Le Grand Lanna for a family dinner as there was a local dance performance which the children as well as we loved.
Overall, the staff are well trained and go out of their way to make yours a very special stay. Yes, it is expensive, but we enjoyed all aspects of it, including the gym, tennis courts, culinary academy and spa. I am looking forward to a return visit at some point!

most awesome place I have every stayed

by TripAdvisor Member CJI

This resort is completely out of this world. The villas are fantastic-talk about luxury!. The staff are a delight so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The stay we had here was so relaxing just sorry it wasn't longer.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member parka000

What an amazing place. Customer service was impeccable, facilities and rooms were first rate. The thai food was SO amazing and the lady chef offers lessons - so check them out if you have time. Also recommended is the tranquil spa. A very special place - I really hope to be able to return.

Best place in the World

by TripAdvisor Member TravelPassionChar

Amazing, beautiful place, great spa, very friendly taff, superb food and restaurants - I could go on and on but I won't as I want to be there now and I'm back in London, back to work etc - just too depressing - saving hard to go back already!!!

Felt like royalty

by TripAdvisor Member Wesleyb

This is a fantastic hotel - I would thoroughly recommend it for people wanting to get away from it all whilst still being close enough to the attractions of Chiang Mai. We stayed here for three nights and for us that was enough. It's a very peaceful quiet hotel which was exactly what we needed to break up a busy sight seeing holiday.

The staff here are amazing, the setting stunning and don't get me started on the spa - unbelievable. I thoroughly recommend the Thai restaurant - one of the best meals I've ever eaten which is saying something as I've eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world.

I cannot fault the place - the library is amazing, free internet access. There are thoughtful touches all over - free water, mosquito repellant inthe rooms. Shall I go on?!?

The eighth wonder of the world

This has to be one of the best hotels in the World. You cannot fail to be impressed as you approach the building for the first time and look up at the buildings at the end of the long drive. While staying here we visited the King's palace in the hills nearby - don't tell the King about the Mandarin Hotel as it far outshines his place! Apart from the place being awsome itself the service is truly excellent. The staff are friendly, helpful and always gracious. Each of the restaurants are excellent in their own rights. We ate in the Thai, Italian and the Chinese - each offering excellent food in a fantastic location. In addition we were there for New Year's Eve. It was unbelievable with elephant rides, Northern Thailand Dancing, lantern launching and excellent food - a magical experience. Over the four days that we spent at this hotel two were spent in the Colonial Suites and two in a luxury villa with a plunge pool overlooking the paddy fields. We had two children (7 and 10) with us. It is child friendly; we were lent bicycles during our stay so that all four of us could cycle around the large estate.The Colonial Suites are wonderful, high ceilinged and centrally located for both the swimming pool and breakfast. The Villa is a unique experience. It is a teak building overlooking working paddy fields. Whilst this is very romantic it also attracts more mosquitoes than the Colonial Suites. The only downside with this hotel is that it so perfect that you could be tempted not to leave it and see the magnificent places outside it.

What an amazing place!

by TripAdvisor Member bronty

We stayed here as the last 6 days of a 3 week trip over the New Year.

Accommodation - the best I have ever experienced truly the most luxurious accommodation you can imagine.

Staff- Really helpful and very friendly, they remember your name and which room you are in, excellent as you are whisked around in golf buggies, and pony and carts.

Prices - wine is expensive but then it doesn't taste very good with Thai food - food is reasonable for the quality of the hotel. We had our own private Bar -b-q in our villa which was very reasonably priced considering they sent a sous chef several staff and more delicious food than we could eat.

Room service is a dream they spend ten minutes laying the table so when you sit down it's like you are in the restaurant. Breakfast overlooking the paddy fields is a real treat, and the other restaurants at the hotel are all excellent.

The Spa - Package treatments are very reasonable indeed and the staff who pummel you very experienced.

Swimming pools are lovely although the private ones are freezing in the winter and are not heated.

They have so many activities on site we are going back this year for 2 weeks so we can fit some in this time. We did the paddy field experience which was a hoot they pick you up from your villa tog you up in farmers kit with coolie hats and then you go and help plant rice in their paddy fields.

They have numerous yoga classes on offer and loads of childrens activities, and a cookery school.

The hotel is spotless they even polish the roads.

I could ramble on for hours about this place but that would be boring, just go there you will see what I'm on about.

Hotel Recommendations for Honeymoon in November

by Atromos

My fiance (by then, husband) will be on our honeymoon. We'll be staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok before we go to Chiang Mai. Any recommendations on where to stay during the last week of November in Chiang Mai? We'd like to be centrally located and to stay in a hotel that reflects some of the culture/history/artistry of Northern Thailand.

Thanks!

RE: Hotel Recommendations for Honeymoon in November

by DarkRay

If cost is not an issue and you want something as luxurious as Mandarin Oriental, then perhaps you mat want to consider Rachamankha within the old city. You can find more information at:

If you are feeling like splurging, I hear that the incredibly expensive Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi Hotel is constructed with the full showcasing of Northern Thailand's culture and architecture in mind. But a friend of mine stayed there recently and commented that as each villa is really huge and they are spaced far apart from another, it can feel a little creepy at night. But this hotel is definitely far from being centrally located.

Most other hotels I have encountered are typical tourist class hotels with little character (eg. Imperial Mae Ping), are some sort of boutique hotel that do not seem to fit the bill (eg. Tamarind Village), or are really far away (eg. Thaton Riverview Resort).

Just my 2 cents.... :-)