New Mitrapap Hotel

New Mitrapap Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Chiang Mai

How long to boil an egg?How long to boil an egg?

Wat Phra SingWat Phra Sing

Dad, Hui and WenDad, Hui and Wen

Statue of The Buddha and ElephantsStatue of The Buddha and Elephants

Debit Cards

by john.marsh

Can anyone advise if Visa Debit cards are now acceptable in Thailand please?
I have no credit card, only visa debit cards and would wish to rent a car from Chiang Mai and also use the card to pay hotel bills.

Many thanks, John Marsh.

by sombat_ch

hi.
For visa or master card all acceptable only in Big store but for daily food shop
and local market are unacceptable due to lack of card machine .For car lent and hotel bill are O.K. but you need some cash for local shop.
Sombat Ch

by sombat_ch

hi.
Sombat Ch

by SirHalberd

I use Visa and MasterCard all the time in Thailand. So far, no problems! Remember to tell your bank that you will be overseas using their card. If not your ATM withdrawals may not be authorized. When using an ATM cover your pin number. Watch who is behind you. I see some really stupid tourists using ATMs exposing their pin numbers to everyone around them. Also, having Thai girlfriends or even strangers help them enter the pin numbers. ATM's in Thailand also have English prompts!!

There is a 150 baht surcharge every time you use an ATM. When you make withdrawals take out the maximum your bank allows. This way you won't have lots of fees for small amounts. For cheap amounts in stores or restaurants use cash. The less you flash your debit or credit cards the less chance of CC fraud.

Travelers checks also work. They even get a hair more in exchange than ordinary cash. Only take the largest sizes because the fee to cash one is 33 baht. For the same amount of money a travelers check saves you money. Many credit unions and a few savings banks issue them to their members without commissions.

You can also bring cash, most currencies are easily changed at the airport and in the city. At the airport the bank money changer is open 24 hours a day - coming and going. If you make withdrawals from your local bank back home you save the ATM fees you get in Thailand. Only bring the largest denomination currency.

Good luck.

by GrumpyDiver

I would suggest you get yourself a credit card. Using debit cards is risky, as they are not insured against fraud. If your bank account gets cleared out, the banks do not have to compensate you.

by KathyGh

I agree with Grumpy. My sister used a debit card all the time and had money taken from her account, until they completely emptied it.

VISA is what I strongly recommend or have another Bank Account specifically for your debit card with only a limited amount of money in.

by SirHalberd

When I use debit cards in Thailand and other countries like the Philippines I only use them in ATM machines. Then I use the cash to pay for things. Easy for me because I only use cheap hotels. I only keep a certain amount of cash in my debit card account. When it gets low I can make an internet transfer from my bank to the debit card (credit union for me) account to replenish. If my card is compromised or stolen, etc. they won't clean out everything I have in savings!

Credit cards do have more protection.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Around Chiang Mai

by JJfromNJ

Most of the guesthouses in CM have rooms with a/c, although the cleanliness varies. Just make sure you see the room first. Virtually any guesthouse or travel agent in the city can arrange a whole slew of activities, including jungle treks. The trek I did had a waterfall that we swam in as well as a white water rafting option. Keep in mind though that most of these treks are multi-day and the accommodation will be very basic, with no a/c. Just make sure you have a sufficient amount of water and you'll be fine. Additionally, I would suggest renting a motorbike and driving up to Pai. It's an incredibly friendly town and a beautiful 4 hour drive through the jungle. Damn, I wish I was there right now!!

Things to bring for Chiangmai

by alegriasu

Bring extra duffle bags so you can shop at the Night Bazaar If you are planning to trek or go into the jungle, make sure you bring plenty of insect repellent (containing DEET), light waterproof jacket, sneakers as well as a pair of Tevas, and thin t-shirts Make sure you bring an alarm clock and a watch. No hotels or tourist spots have clocks for some weird reason. I had to ask for wake up calls from the hotels every day because my hotel rooms did not come with any form of a clock.

Good Music + Good Views

by alegriasu about Riverside Bar and Restaurant

I would recommend this place for dinner, romantic cruise, or just plain good bar music. Food is great there, but definitely more expensive than the restaurants in the night bazaar. We ordered a seafood souffle and deep fried soft shell crab and the dishes came out to about $100-150THB each. We also saw filt mignon on the menu for $240THB which is a great deal!

Our honeymooner friends came to this restaurant to enjoy the view at night via their cruise. You should plan on arriving around 7ish and have a few drinks in the bar. Then you can board on their ship for a romantic cruise.

If you like live music, then this place has 2 great cover band. They have 1 band in the main bar and the other band in the back of the restaurant. The bands play all kinds of music ranging from alternative to rock to 70's. The bar gets packed so make sure you grab a seat as soon as you see one. Casual

The best food in town

by chiangmaicharlie1958 about Queen Victoria Inn

I have visited Chiang Mai on many occasions and on my last visit I was told about the new pub (Queen Victoria Inn) which had recently opened by the new Thai airways office. I went down to see for myself, and to try the food and drink to see if my friend was crazy or whether it was as good as he had said. I was impressed looking at the front of the building, it really does look like a lttle bit of Britain, and the inside was just the same.It was very clean and the staff friendly, I ordered my food and drink and waited patiently, the food was exellent and well presented. They also offer free wi-fi and a fantastic free pool room. I ate and drank there most days. I will be coming back to Chiang Mai in November and have booked one of their rooms for my stay. I enjoyed the Sunday carvery, ribs and burgers, the sauce on the ribs was exellent. The burgers were the best I have tasted in Thailand and the carvery was good, they had roast beef, pork, chicken and lamb with all the veg and yorkshire pud.

Wat Chedi Luang

by smirnofforiginal

Chedi Luang, also known as Jedi Luang, was built in 1391 under the rule of King Saen Muang Ma (who was the 8th ruler of the Mengrai dynasty).

In 1468 King Tilokarat made the pagoda (the chedi) the home of the emerald buddah which is one of the country's most precious and tresured treasures.

In 1545 there was an earthquake which destroyed Wat Chedi Luang and in 1551 teh emerald buddah was moved away from here to Luang Prabang.

When I visited this site it was under reconstruction, financed by UNESCO.

Comments