Pat's House

17 Ratvithi Rd, soi 1 T. Sriphum, A. Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand

More about Chiang Mai

In a huge AviaryIn a huge Aviary

Child - Long Neck TribeChild - Long Neck Tribe

vege from Thailand or Myanmar?vege from Thailand or Myanmar?

The famous Song Tew'sThe famous Song Tew's

Good Restaurant

by NGCH2

Any recommendation on good food ? No need to be upmarket..decent, tasty and reasonably price :

i) Seafood

ii) Northern Thai

iii0 Thai Chinese

RE: Good Restaurant

by DarkRay

There are lots of choices for the first 2. Almost all are more than decent. For Chinese food, the best has to be Gia Tong Heng, near one end of the night bazaar and Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel:

Just my 2 cents.... :-)

RE: RE: Good Restaurant

by xerxes2347

highly recommend two,, 50 yards apart,, the good view,, and the riverside restaurants,, excellent bands in both,,other side off the river, 50 baht tuk tuk, ride. open air dining if the weathers clement,next to the river,, best in changmai allround

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

One little motorbike!

by thedouglas

You can't see it in this picture - but there's a little side-motorbike - or is this supposed to be the sidecart with the load! Definitely a rider in charge of the load! He took the corner with the greatest of ease, and continued down the road, amongst the traffic. I appeared to be the only one impressed by the sight!

Haggling is a Must

by alvinpie about Night Bazzar

Night Bazzar is a huge building that houses hundreds of venders selling crafts to tourists.

I found that venders are not offended when you try to negotiate the price. Come to think of it, if I were the vendor, I would rather deal with customers who haggle for it would make my life a lot more interesting than just ringing up the cash register every now and then.

I found it almost useless comparing prices among venders. Because they all give you the same high prices anyway. So you probably save 10 Baht here and there, you still end up paying too much.

My strategy is to bargain hard. Depends on my mood and the uniqueness of the product, I usually started my bargaining at about 40-50% of asking price and I stood firm for a while. People in Chiang Mai have great smiles so you should always keep your smile no matter how hard you bargain.

As how much you end up paying, it really comes down to how much you really have to have the goods and how much they really have to sell the goods. I found great cotton fisherman's pants and sarong in Night Bazzar for my wife. The price was very tough but since the clerk had great smile and I knew it was not a bad price already, I didn't mind not getting my price.

If you have room in your luggage, the wooden sculptures are great too. And the price is much much cheaper than that in the US.

Hire a Taxi for a day

by balhannah

I wanted to visit some places that weren't on the tourist trail, so my Hotel suggested hiring a Taxi for a day, and he would take where I wanted to go.
I had to tell the receptionist where I wanted to visit, then she rang the Taxi company and told them and they gave her a price.

My price for visiting Queen Sirikit Botanic Gardens, Monkey School, Tiger Kingdom, and the Craft/Umbrella Village was 1000t/b plus admission fees to the sites.

I could have gone to other places as this didn't take up the whole day, but I had nothing else thought out, so finished the day early, happy with what I had been and seen.

Crispy Pork Rind (Kaeb Moo)

by DarkRay about All over in Chiang Mai

When you visit the many street stalls in Chiang Mai, you may find many of the stalls dedicated to selling what looks like a heap of deep fried intestines of some sort.

I was initially puzzled by what they were, but after checking with my tour guide, I found out that they are called "Kaeb Moo", or crispy pork rind. It is often served as an appetizer and eatern with sticky rice.

The health concious may want to give this a miss, as Kaeb Moo is actually made from either pork skin or triple pork, fried with salt, clove, garlic, and crushed whole coriander stalks. As you may have guessed, it is not exactly a healthy snack.

But if you can get passed that, it is actually quite delicious. Most stall holders will also be more than happy to give you a taste sample.

Wat Doi Kham

by Pat_Bangkok

Doi Kham in Lanna word means golden mountain.
This temple situated on top of the mountain near Ratchapruk Botanical Garden, same way to CM night safari.
It's a good place to see beautiful view of Chiangmai City.

Comments