104 Ratchaphakinai Road, T.prashing A.Muang, Chiang Mai, 50200, Thailand
Agoda.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Chiang Mai

A lovely trailing plantA lovely trailing plant

at the alfresco garden sitting @ UNat the alfresco garden sitting @ UN

some of the bells of the watsome of the bells of the wat

Rotee in the MakingRotee in the Making

Khantok Dinner

by Melanie_Putra

We will be in Chiang Mai for 3 nights as well as another 3 nights in Chiang Rai. Read about Khantok Dinner at :
Khum Khantok. THB300/pax. Includes Khon performance. Housed in a magnificent and massive Lanna building. P/up from hotel.

2. Old Chiang Mai Khantok. THB370/pax. P/up from hotel.

3. Khum Kaew Palace Khantok. THB200 per person. Traditional and hill tribe dances. Transportation included.

Which of these is better? It will be good if I can see the Khon performance since I, despite being half Thai, has yet to see that! But ambience is also a consideration as well as tasty food. Not really into audience participation, so don't really want Ramwong...
Also, since I will also be in Chiang Rai, is it better for me to wait for Khantok Dinner there? Any recommendation, please?

Re: Khantok Dinner

by Somikan

I usually tell my friends to go to Khum Khantok because the food is good with great atmosphere. The show includes four main characters of Thai regions, including Khon from central Thailand. Price per person is 390 baht plus another 50 bath for pick up.

I have been to Old Chiang Mai Khantok twice and love how they encourage guests to participate Lanna dance. Sorry I have no idea about Khantok place there :(

Re: Khantok Dinner

by Melanie_Putra

Thanks for your info. I don't want to go to any place that has guests' participation. So I guess Khum Khantok is more my kind of place...

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

about monks and their laundry

by call_me_rhia

It's not strictly related to Chiang Mai, this entry... however it was here that i discovered this "deep" piece of wisdom. Walking about the grounds of the Buddhist Universities young monks were hanging their laundry to dry. Everything - including their towels - was of orange colour. But was striked me most that even their laundry buckets were of the same colour. The only thing i did not see, and I looked around well, was underwear... do they wear orange undies? or don't they wear undies at all? taking those laundry embarassing pictures... I never felt so much ashamed. But then... I was curious!

Ceramics in Chang Mai

by standlea

I start my day off with a cup of stale instant coffee, though ripping away my since of tastefulness, it does the job intended for, waking my ass up! Then we're off for the day, first to eat banana pancakes and drink another coffee this one a bit better with a much better title, the Ancient Black Canyon brew. The lady, the Senators wife, that is showing us around keeps inviting me to move up with her to be her full time English teacher, but everyone knows she's just joking because she really wants to be seen with a strapping young fellow that will save her face to all the rumors of her husbands mistresses. We then go to several ceramics factories to see what kind of work is being made there to get ideas for the art village that may or may not go into the resort that may or may not be built. I write and sketch ideas in my notebook, most of the conversation I have is in my head as English is not the foremost language being spoken.

The most interesting of ceramics being made were roofing tiles being made for a temple a bit north of the city we are in. They were all white with a very Thai stamp style design at the, we'll say nose of the tile. The guy that ran that factory had a really cool machine that with the right mold pressed these tiles out with a speed only known to the gods. He said he could make around 600 in a day. Then he had constructed a really cool network of piping that hooked up to hoses which where to be used for slip casting. I reflect back on the idea of a resort, being in a location so close to nature and start to wonder if I just might be mistake and I am in the right place.

Oh and there was the little kid that wanted to knock over the rock sculpture that I made, but that is a story for another day.

Relaxed and hip place to sip your drink

by riproy about The Drunken Flower (mao dok mai)

There are without a doubt many places to have a drink in CM. The Drunken Flower is in my opinion one of the loveliest place to go for good music that isn't too loud that you can't have a conversation, either inside amongst the cool decore and comfortable chairs, or outside in the green, treed, and expansive lawn/patio. Drinks and food are not expensive and the atmosphere can't be beat for the city. A great place to go with a group for a beer/glass of wine and a chat. Whatever you are wearing.

Most addictive hang out in CM!

by tinapaultravel about Home Restaurant

This beautiful restaurant took us ages to find as it was tucked away behind the camera shop on Chaiyapoom Road, near the giant cheesburger and the big Amora Hotel. The staff were superfriendly (and pretty), they even have biting puppies and a bird-cage. Home was set in an old Thai teak house surrounded by a beautiful garden. The music was perfect and relaxing and we ate nearly every meal there. It appears to be the current in-place for travellers to hang out, but there were plenty of locals and expats dining at each of our visits. Everything was great here, they have plenty of vegetarian and Northern Thai food. I especially liked the red-curries but my husband seemed happier with Singha beer and chicken sandwiches! We ate breakfast here, took coffee in the afternoons, and filled our bellies at night. Home wasn't even near to our guesthouse but it was the best place we found in six weeks in Chiang Mai.

Doi Inthanon

by aaronehtan

This is the tallest mountain in Thailand. It's well worth the trip. Got nice scenery. Can hire a taxi/limousine to go up from your hotel. Not sure it one can trek up. cos never see treks along the way. Seen a few nice waterfalls. At the mid way theres also the King's Summer palace i believe. Pretty scenic too.

Comments