Shangri La Hotel Chiang Mai

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 54% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• TeresaLim's Profile Photo

Best Stay Ever

Really nice stay here..comfortable bed, huge swimming pool with jacuzzi next to it...

If you have budget, you can stay here...it was my company trip there so i do not need to pay a single cent..;D

Unique Quality: View - not much can see from the room that i stay.
    Pool - excellent
    Drinking - excellent.
    It is also near to the night market and massage centres...

More about Chiang Mai

Doi Suthep - entrance to the templeDoi Suthep - entrance to the temple

Tha Phae GateTha Phae Gate

TaxiTaxi

Fried rice with crab meatFried rice with crab meat

Advice needed for Chiang Mai

by travelinchen

Hello guys,

my man and I actually planned on visiting Chiang Mai end of february for one week or so. We don't really intend to do trekking, rather hanging out and exploring the city.
But after reading some of the articles here, I'm now not sure anymore whether we should go to Chiang Mai, i.e. I'm worried about extreme pollution. We were hoping for a relaxed week, and I doubt it can be very relaxing if our eyes hurt and are red and have problems breathing.
Therefore, will pollution be bad during the time of our stay? Should we maybe skip Chiang Mai?

Also, and this is maybe a more general question: I'm aware we need mosquito repellant and sunscreen etc. - I was wondering whether all this is best bought in Thailand or should we bring it from home?

Finally, should we go to Chiang Mai, is there are hotel you could recommend? We'd like to stay in a rather luxurious hotel for one or two nights when we arrive, since we will have a 28 hours journey behind us. We won't be able to afford a 5-star Hotel, but is there maybe a good value 4-star one you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

by Bettetan

I went to Chiangmai few years back and it was a nice place to visit. It's not polluted and crowded. More to countryside and the weather there are cooling. While there, u may visit to the native villagers... One week stay there is too long, maybe u can go to Bangkok for few days, Pattaya then to Chiangmai and Chiangrai.

by Gili_S

I don't think Chiang Mai is polluted, surely not compare to East Asian bigger cities.
The good part that you can easily get out of town, for example a daily trip to Doi Inthanon National Park is recommended.
I'm not sure where you are from but I buy mosquito repellant and sunscreen in advance so it is a brand that I use and know that work for me.
Mosquito repellant needed to be with a high DEET % otherwise it will not be useful.
We stayed at the Hotel Manathai Village (link on my Chiang Mai page) which is not luxury or too expensive, it has nice outdoor pool that you can also have your relax moments without any city noise, only the birds singing.
There are good tips by members here about their hotel experiences and you can check those, surely you will find something that suits for you.

by pgthompson

Hi,

The "Burning Season" starts in March and it CAN become very polluted and people do suffer with their breathing and sore eyes, not every year, but there's no guarantee. The following website should be helpful - http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/about_cm/seasons/

For repellents and sunscreen, bring them from your own Country, you will then know they're genuine.

There are lots of 4 and 5 star hotels at reasonable rates as this time of the year as it's low season.

Enjoy Chiang Mai - I do!

by balhannah

I think you would be missing out on a nice city if you omitted Chiang Mai. I loved it, and want to return to see more!
The air was ok when I was there, and I am asthmatic. There is plenty to do and see there. I went on an excellent tour in the countryside, no trekking involved, a good guide and saw lots of interest.
The 3sis b&B/hotel, I can recommend. The sunday night market is held in the same street.
I have more on my pages, just click on name above photo, then Chiang mai in travel pages.
Go, and have a good time.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai : Thailand's...

by norain

Chiang Mai : Thailand's second-largest city and the gateway to the country's north. Chiang Mai is a good base for mountain treks. The picture here is Doi Suthep Temple, one of the Thailand's holiest temples.

Making Friends and Romance Thai Style Part IV

by allthai

At some time in the courtship she will say something like “My parents need a new roof for their house as it leaks when it rains” or “We have no indoor plumbing in our house in the village can you help us” or maybe “My fathers motorbike broke down and he needs a new one”. Lets think about this one carefully. Ok, she now knows you might love her or at least like her a lot or you wouldn’t be spending this much time with her. Now she is performing the biggest test of all, seeing how stupid you are.

Most of the western men I know would give her the money because they want to help. This is the biggest mistake you can do. DO NOT give her any money for anything!!!
Your reply should be “Let’s go to your parents house and see what they need and maybe I can help”. This is not only wise but also what she wants to hear. She will have one of two replies. If her parents really don’t need the money she will just laugh and probably give you a hug and change the subject, no more said for now. Don’t bring up the subject again remember this is just a test. If they do need the money for the purposes she mentioned, she will say OK.

Now one of three things will happen. If she just wanted you for your money she will see you saw right through her objective and will avoid you. Another is she will take you to her parents house and you will see her parents don’t need anything from you and that this was just a test. Third you will visit her village and parents and she what they need. Now this is very important and happens mainly with bar girls. If you just give her the money she asks for she will take it for sure. Not only that she will keep asking for more as long as you keep giving it to her. You are now her cash cow and remember she didn’t take it from you. You were more than willing to give it to her.

Continued Making Friends and Romance Thai Style Part V

Plaza's

by Cathy&Gary about Plaza's

AIRPORT PLAZA

The Airport Plaza is a good place for cheap shoes, clothes and electrical goods. It is a large modern plaza over 4 floors with all the normal brand name shops as well as cinemas, restaurants, food courts, supermarkets and a department store.

The plaza is on the way to the airport on Highway 1141

KAD SUAN KAEW
CENTRAL

This is Chiang Mai's largest shopping centre, it includes all the shops etc as above including a Central Department store, Marks & Spencers, a hotel and bowling alley.

Central is on Huay Kaew Road.

Khan Toke Meal

by bpacker about Khum Khan Toke

You can't go to Chiang Mai without trying a Khan Toke Feast. In case you wondering what it is, it's the Thai equivilent of a smorgasbord served in khans (small serving bowls) on a toke (low, round table). You get to sit sprawled on the floor on mats and triangular cushions while you feast. If this is not hedonistic enough, there will be distracting stage shows where the staff try to roll about on knives, dance with umbrellas and the like.
What's there not to like?
This meal originated as a culinary/ cultural showcase for Westerners in the 50's and it's guaranteed to appeal to the tourist in anyone, including travel-cynics like myself.
Anyway, there's 2 decent places in town to try the Khan Toke. One of them is Khum Khan Toke and the other is the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre I went to the former since the food was reportedly better. Everything that was served on the toke was delicious. Let me describe each dish in a clockwise fashion, starting from the deep fried chicken since it's instantly recognisable.

Beside it is a bowl of crispy deep-fried vermicelli noodles,
followed by "Nam Prik Ong" (minced pork cooked with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and chilies),
"Cab Moo" (fried pork skin),
a bowl of fried vegetables
and lastly "Gaeng Hang Lay" (pork curry with garlic, ginger and other spices).

These dishes were eaten with raw vegetables, "Kao Nieow" (sticky rice) and the best chilli dip in the world. Yes, you tease the Nam Prik Awng ( the fiery red dip seen in the centre ) occasionally out of the Khan with a piece of pork rind or silver of cucumber. It's not exactly a healthy meal but an indulgent feast that will sweeten your holiday memory.

Cost - 1500B

Tip: Call up the restaurant, request for a minivan pickup (free) since the sprawling restaurant is situated outside the city near the highway(God only knows where).

Tip2:This is a bloody smosgarsbord so eat your money's worth and get your dishes refilled at least 10 times!

Volunteering or visiting - something different

by cafank

If you love nature and wildlife - elephants in particular, you cannot go wrong volunteering or visiting The Elephant Nature Park.

If you are not into volunteering, the Park has day (and longer) trips where you can join volunteers in looking after and learning all about the elephants.

You wont be able to ride an elephant - you will learn why when you get there.....

If you are really lucky you may get to go on a "Jumbo Express ". A rescue and medical care project for elephants in remote areas. .

Comments