Shewe Wana Suite Resort

Shewe Wana Suite Resort
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Chiang Mai

Temple BellsTemple Bells

Mum and Wen at fruit juice vendorMum and Wen at fruit juice vendor

Little tiny soldiersLittle tiny soldiers

Helping the little guy up the hillHelping the little guy up the hill

floodings

by pete141

Hi,

my girlfriend and I plan to go to Chiang Mai in the end of September. Recently, I have heard quite often that due to heavy rain, there have been floodings in Chiang Mai (or around the city). Can anybody give me some more information on this?

Thanks!

RE: floodings

by Animas

Now Chiangmai is fine --- no flooding yet but no one knows when it will be happened so better choose the place in the city ( just like Tapae Road or somewhere inside the city wall eg. http://www.redhibiscus.com/ or http://www.goldenfern.com/location.html) dont stay where is near the Ping River. Last year my friend's guesthouse got flood 3 times , she had to ask somebody with big truck transfered all guests to the airport ( the other kind of experience,dont you think so? )

RE: RE: floodings

by mim95

There is flooding every year in Chiang Mai city, usually near the end of monsoon around September. As this is a natural phenonmenon, there is no way of predicting when exactly flooding will occur. It's not a good time to go trekking if this is in your plan.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

What to do when recieving or giving a gift

by SumTingWong

To give a gift: there are two proper ways of presenting a gift in Thai society:
1) give the gift with your right hand and have your lift hand on your elbow.
2) present the gift with both hands together (this it the better of the two methods). It is common practice for the receiver of the gift to wahy (two hands together like praying position) before accepting the gift to show respect and gratitude.

When you receive a gift: Before you even touch the gift you should wahy, then you may accept the gift and take it with both hands, or if you have something in your hand accept it with your right hand and put your left hand by your elbow. Then you can say Kohp Koon krap(m)/kaa(f), or you can say this first, up to you.

Thai silver handcraft

by yatingchen about P. Collection

P. Collection cleared pure silver will be black in air. (oxidation)
To avoid the problem they have to combine 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper for silverware making.

There shows how people make silverware and there is big exhibition room showing all kinds of beautiful silverwares. However, the price is not as cheap as they should be.

Cheap Japanese food but nice as in big restuarant

by noochy about Tsunami

I know many people love Suchi. But normally Japanese food is expensive. But here it's so cheap because it's Student price (Most customer are University Student) . SO you can enjoy Sushi and other Japanese food . I and my friend ordered all favorite dish we want . We were so fulled after eat but the bill is just 5 USD each . Unbelievable!!! So we go there ever time we have chance. California roll.

Jungle Trek (#1) with 3rd Eye Travel Overview

by Snipernurse

I usually try to avoid putting multiple tips for one activity, however for this I will make an exception. I went on a three day, two night trek with 3rd Eye Travel , a company I had picked because of their reputation for being environmentally responsible, and for their claims that they take their customers to less traveled villages, ones with a more authentic feel. They held true to both of their promises. In the three days we hiked, we caught a glimpse of another group of tourists twice. I had read about some reviews of the hill tribe trekking from people that had gone and had read opinons that it was much like going to a human zoo and so forth. I do believe that to be true, especially with the tribes of long neck women. Did I want to go to the long neck tribes? Definately. Was I dissapointed that I didn't? A little. However I was supremely satisfied when I found the tribes we visited felt no need to put on a show for us. There was no fancy dress, no performance, just daily living. I liked that.

We were guided by two gentleman, both whom were incredibly nice and knowledgeable. I wish I could remember their names. One guide I saw as designated as more for my travel party. He spoke pretty good English and was knowledgeable about the people and terrain. He would teach us about this and that, bit did not exhaust with information. He was a member of the Karen tribe as well and spoke Karen. Our other guide appeared to be a hilltribesman himself. This man was incredible to me. He wore flip flops and carried a heavy pack, and even after climbing a steep incline that left myself in gasping for air, he didn't even seem a bit bothered. This same man cooked us a lunch in the jungle using only bamboo for cooking and eating utensils. It was amazing.

The food on this trip may have been the best in my whole time in Thailand . Seriously! The food portions were large and varied and delicious. The comfort of sleep was horrendous however. Since electricity is not used, once it's dark at around eight o clock, unless you have a light theres nothing else to do but sleep. Most of the village is asleep once the sun is down. You sleep on a thin small mat under a mosquito net. Cows and pigs complain all through the night, and as soon as you fall asleep in the early dawn Roosters began to scream like clockwork every hour. The wood floor beneath you seems to gnaw at your bones. This is how these people sleep. There are no tempur pedic mattresses And the discomfort of sleep only made the whole experience better in a way. It is something you think back about and laugh.

We hiked through three villages, learned a little about their culture ( i talk more about them in other posts). We hiked through jungles and rice fields. The hikes weren't too strenous, but they did cause us to work up a sweat, and we found ourselves quite satisfied once we arrived at our destination for the day.

The trek also included a visit to the popular Mahoot villages were elephants are trained and cared for. A one hour elephant ride was a lot of fun (see my other post). We also had a four hour float down a river back to our starting point where a truck would be there to take us back to Chiang Mai (also see other post)

I had a great time Hill tribe trekking, and if I go to Southeast Asia again I would definately include this in my itinerary.

Union Of Hilltribe Villages

by iNorv9

One of the highlights of my trip to Northern Thailand was definitely visiting this hill tribe village. We found this place on the recommendation of our guide, and it turned out to be far less commercialized and artificial than the other "villages" we visited, where we were bombarded by tribe members shamelessly hawking touristy knickknacks.

In contrast, the Union of Hill Tribes offered a much more authentic experience. We were the only tourists there, and the Karen (long neck) women were very warm and friendly.... They even invited us into one of their huts to chat for a little bit about their life (using our Thai guide as an interpreter of course). Afterwards, they just went on with life as usual: gathering water, tending the crops, and mending the thatched roofs of their huts.

In addition to the Karen, there were several other tribes at this village, each with their own distinct (and often colorful) attire.

While there is a certain aspect of commercialization here (after all, they have a website), our guide told us the people of this village don't let the tourists dramatically influence their way of life. As they can't reap the benefits of a normal Thai citizen, the additional income generally goes towards subsistence measures; not wide screen TVs or pick-up trucks.

Bottom-line: We had a very moving experience visiting the people of this village. I would highly recommend spending an afternoon here.... you probably won't be able to find a more authentic view of hill tribe life without trekking deep into the jungle.

Comments