Tha-Nam Restaurant & Guest House & Tour Agency

43/3 Moo 2, Changklan Rd. T. Padad A. Muang, Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand

Good For No Data

More about Chiang Mai

Another TempleAnother Temple

Our master chef serving up awesome mealsOur master chef serving up awesome meals

Sinativa Spa ClubSinativa Spa Club

Chiang Mai canal....dusk...fountain. So romantic.Chiang Mai canal....dusk...fountain. So romantic.

transport to-from Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

by Lana1976

Hi all,

I'll be in CM from Jan 7-10th and am figuring out what to do... I have a few q's that I'd love some help with:

1. What's the best way to travle from CM to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep? (rent a car? moped? taxi?) How much time should I allot?

2) I'd like to learn a little about meditation. Where would you suggest I do this?

3) Should I go rafting here? or down south? I'll be down south from the 11-17th.

THANKS!
Lana

by squidly2

I can only answer queston 1, I would hire a taxi to get there, and plan for about 3 hours including transit to/from Chiang Mai and up the hill. You can arrange for the taxi driver to wait for you. Note, I am not recommending a tuk-tuk, but a enclosed car! (A little harder to find.) I think you'll pay about 500 baht, or $15US.

by squidly2

Actually, I'll take a stab at #2, just because I thought of it. At Wat Chedi Luang in downtown Chiang Mai there were a few signs that said "Ask a monk", and that you should feel free to speak English and ask the monks there any questions you had. As I had a couple of Thai friends who had done thier service as monks I had already asked them all the questions I could think of, but that could be an option.

by mim95

You can also take a songtaew if you are on a budget. The service, however, depends on the number of passengers. On the returning trip, I have to wait for 15 minutes before it has enough people. You can charter one too if you pay more.

by Lana1976

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

by keszzz

I agree with a prior post, a songtaew (communal taxi) is the best way to go to Doi Suthep. You being in Chiang Mai at the peak of the high season, I doubt you'd have much of a wait.

Three-hours should be enough.

I think the rafting is better in the north.

by imstress

1) I have a transportation tip on how to get to Doi Suthep on your own on a budget.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

We arrived at our first village pt 10

by herzog63

As we came around the side of a hill I could see smoke rising from the trees so I new or thought there would be a village soon. And after another 15 minutes there it was! Civilization! Not really but there were a bunch of houses and some animals. It appeared that the people cultivated rice and opium by the looks of the fields.
Upon our arriving and giving greetings to some of them and and they greeted us and our guide spoke with them for awhile. He appeared to be negotiating for us to stay in one of the mud floored shacks and to get us something to eat. He must have negotiated for the low end package deal as we got packed mud floors to sleep on with rice bags for blankets. That night was one of the most uncomfortable nights of sleeping that I had ever had before or since! I'll never forget it.
The people were very curious of us and as we were told which shack we would be sleeping in we hauled our stuff into it. Not only was it a mud packed floor but the walls and ceiling were covered in soot! The don't use chimneys for venting the smoke. They just let the smoke pour out through holes in the ceiling and around the edges of the walls.

Go to a wet market

by trisanna

Wet markets are very interesting places. This is where most people shop for their vegetables, fruits, meats and staples. The fruit selection is quite good and you should really try some local or southeast asian fruit before you leave. Also, the place is great for photographs.
Try mangosteens (purple little fruit), longan, dragon fruit and Thai oranges.

One of the bigger markets is Talat Pratu Chiang Mai -on Thanon Bamrungburi. Also, Talat Thiphanet off Thanon Wualai. There are many markets throughout the city.

tuc tuc - chiang mai's ferrari =)

by hez28

tuc tuc is their ferrari over here. if u wanna get to a place FAST, take a tuc tuc. it's much cheaper than a taxi fare, but stil be careful, as these tuc tuc drivers can lure u by trying to take u here and there (i.e. ***ty, low quality money-eating handicraft boutiques) just because they are told to promote these places, and then they receive a comission upon their success in bringing tourists to those lame boutiques.

We didn't eat, we grazed!

by nancyw about Street vendors

One of the terrific things about Chiang Mai is the great food. We found some of the best food in the markets and various street vendors around the city.

In the mood for something cool and sweet? How about a bag of fresh pineapple for a quarter?

Ready for something more substantial? Try the noodle soup with pork balls or the Pad Thai - either for around $1 USD.

In the evening, don't miss out on the great crepes. We found a vendor who set up each evening on Tha Phae, just a few blocks from the moat (toward the night market) and made delicious crepes. I always opted for the banana chocolate crepe. A crispy crepe wrapped around a fried banana, drizzled in Hershey's chocolate. I'd have been willing to pay a lot more than $.50 for this treat!

We tried a variety of food from the various vendors, watching for freshness and cleanliness. We never got sick and walked off the extra calories - what could be better?

Waterfalls at Doi Inthanon National Park

by icyjo24

There are several waterfalls at Doi Inthanon. One of the most accessible ones for stopover is the magnificent Vachirathan Falls. Don't just stop at the big one you will see. Climb up the steps at the forested side and you will reach the higher ends where you can see more smaller cascades beyond the big waterfall. It is possible to dip your legs in the cooling waters of the smaller cascades.. but be careful, the rocks are slippery...

Comments