Thailand Guest House

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Chiang Mai

Entrance Morn Thean TempleEntrance Morn Thean Temple

Our tour guides.  These guys rockOur tour guides. These guys rock

Thai silk productsThai silk products

Argh theres one behind us!Argh theres one behind us!

Tamarind or Yng Come Village?

by Quefaistu

We are considering both hotels for Feb. Travelling with elderly mother so I would like a place with gardens. Does anyone out there have opinions on which is better? Both look very nice. Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the replies to my posts.

Re: Tamarind or Yng Come Village?

by keszzz

I think BOTH the Tamarind Village and the Yaang Come Village are VERY GOOD hotels.

If I was going to stay in one or the other, I'd select the Yaang Come Village because it's a newer property.

I don't know what day you will be there, but if it's Sunday, the Tamarind is located right the Sunday Night Walking Street (market), which is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Chiang Mai.

note: I'm not sure about this year, but last they did held the market on both Sunday and Saturday Nights.

As far as gardens, the Yaan Come Village has a very large, and beautiful, Yaang Come Tree. They both have nice pool areas.

The Yaang Come Village is a 100-meters from the Night Bazaar.

Both hotels, are nicely furnished in the Northern Thai Style, called Lanna.

I doubt you be disapointed with either choice.

Re: Tamarind or Yng Come Village?

by Linng

Hi
I stayed for 5 days at the Yang Come Village in June and it was a wonderful place. Clever landscaping made the grounds feel like an oasis in the city. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and beautifully furnished. Being so near to the Night Market is really handy. The hotel spa opened this year and the massage I got there was heavenly.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Our first night part 11

by herzog63

The locals were ver curious about us. If we opened up our backpacks we would have 20 curious eyes peeping inside hoping to get a glimpse of something I guess. And as we all got put into the same shack most of the kids were just hanging around watching our every move which was ok with me. To bad we couldn't have spoken some their dialect it would have made it really nice. And they didn't speak English so we used our guid as the go between. We would ask him to ask the locals the questions then he would translate them back.
Well now I'll tell you about the coldest most uncomfortable night that I've ever head. Probably only because I wasn't suspecting it.
We were given a rice sack for a blanket and to lay on packed mud at the altitude we were at was just freezing cold. It must've been in the low 50's F. We were all shivering all night but tired so sometime around 3 in the morning I finally fell asleep thinking that I would never wake up alive!

KAREN LONG NECK

by balhannah

STOP 5 on TRIBAL TOUR

Still continuing on back roads our next stop was the Karen Long Neck village.

The long necks live here, we saw their homes in the distance. Instead of visiting these, we were taken across rice paddies to an area that was set up with tourist stalls. Some of the Ladies were weaving and others were just by their stalls hoping that you would buy.

Our guide told us that their necks aren't stretched, that is an illusion. This row of brass rings actually squash the vertebrae and collar bones.
A woman generally has about twenty or more rings around her neck. This neck ring adornment is started when the girls are 5 or 6 years old.
We were given one to hold, and it is quite heavy, 5kg! Imagine wearing that!

I didn't know that they had rings on their arms and legs. However, these rings are just as important.
The rings on the arms are worn on the forearm from the wrist to the elbow.
Those on the legs are worn from the ankles to the knees, and cloth coverings are kept over most of these rings, from the shins down to the ankles.

I bought some postcards, but that was all I wanted. Hardly anybody on tour bought, and the Long Necks had such sad faces, what can you do, you can't buy from all!!

It was interesting being with a guide and learning about their culture. It was a pity, that we couldn't have a look at their home area, like the other two we had previously visited, that is so much nicer.

Songtaew

by Rojo72

When travelling around Chiang Mai, especially up to Doi Suthep I recommend going by Songtaew, a small truck with two rows of seats along its sides. It is kinda like a small bus, but still not.

The Songtaew in the picture is actually taken at Taksin in Bangkok, but they looked the same up in Chiang Mai.

delicious soups and cakes

by call_me_rhia about café chic

it's a tiny modern little restaurant that served both thai and internation fool. It's a bit fancy with its wonderful air-con system and modern furniture - but it's also nice to eat without sweating for once. Sadly it'sa non-smoking place I had a delicious bowl of chicken and coconut milk soup, and a hybiscus tea decorated with a real hybiscus flower. delicious! then I spoiled it all by ordering a very westenernized chocolate and peanut cake - not good!

Cooking school

by campy012

It starts in the morning, make your own meal and eat after. Learn different local herbs, and spices. In the afternoon, tour the local market, shop for vegetable.... and whatever else that you are willing to try.

Personal, my cousin recommended a cooking school for me. It was good, the teacher speaks good English, the class was limited to only 6 students, and they even drop me off to the train station after to catch the 6pm train back to Bangkok.

Comments