Thaton River View Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Chiang Mai

Dragon FruitDragon Fruit

cutey key chainscutey key chains

Khantoke DinnerKhantoke Dinner

Food Glorious Food!Food Glorious Food!

Apartment

by yvr

Have been looking for information on The Loft Residence, serviced apartments in Chiang Mai, if anyone has any information on it, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have googled it and have done web searches and can find nothing regarding it.

by puerto_lover

Am not sure if this is a wind up.
Did you really try Google? The Loft Residence Chiang Mai ?

by yvr

I in believe my original post noted that I have tried to google it, the only information I can obtain is from their web site and I am looking for more unbiased information.

by yvr

And by the way what is a wind up or is that strickly a UK expression?

by puerto_lover

This is clearer. You said : I have googled it and have done web searches and can find nothing regarding it.
Which implies that you have found nothing.

A 'wind up' is like a practical joke.

by yvr

Ok, I see, but do you have any pertinent information regarding my question?

by keszzz

Thaivisa.com is a website for expats living in Thailand.

I would tend to believe, if you post a similar question in the Chiang Mai Forum, you will get some helpful info.

***
note: I've been by the Loft many time on the way to the excellent lunch buffet next door at the Shangri-La.

My impression is the Loft looks very nice, although I would guess, very pricey.

by keszzz

My bad!

AFTER looking at the website 'yvr' sent me, I gotta be thinking of a different place; the Laft, the Luft, somephin'

the website for the Loft:

***
Another service apartment in the same neighborhood is the top-notch, A-Number 1, Viangbua Mansion.

again, sorry the mis-direction

by nannyre

Oh good...you must have found it FINALLY! The Loft is a rather new place here in CM. I took a look around and it seems nice enough, tho the furnishings are a bit too plywood for my taste. Prices seem OK, but it sounds as though they do a lot of "add on's" to the price of the flat per week or month. I think a better choice for this type of thing is Viangbua Mansion. I have stayed there and can't say enough about the place. The only negative about VM is no pool...but I used a tuk tuk and went over to Hillside 4 when I wanted to use a pool. Only paid 40/THB a day for that plus the tuk tuk fare over and took a songtaw back. nannyre

by yvr

Thanks for your input, yes I also have stayed at Viangbua and found it very nice, so decided to stay there again rather than the Loft, I just did not get good vibes for some reason.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Visit Thailand during the...

by Jimmytravel

Visit Thailand during the Songkran. This is the thai new year,and it is a hell of a party! Because this is in the warmest and driest time of year,they splash water on eachother. No one is dry,not even the police! 3-4-5 days of 'war' and party must be experienced.

John Gallery

by gib157

Before I left my friend Deva asked if I could get her name written out in Thai, so I asked The owner of Rama House 1 where this might be possible and he told me about an artist who has a shpp down the road. The actuall adress being:

John Gallery, Artist
33D Thapae Road
Chiang Mai 50300

I was walking along Thapae road trying to look for the shop ( I was expecting a normal shop) and I heard Elvis blasting out of a hedge but when I got closer I realised it was no normal hedge! This was the gallery of a man called John , a Thai looking hippie Man who had constructed a very surreal little gallery place. I honestly cant remember if it was inside a small wood or it was a building wiht A LOT of trees and leaves in it. VEry strange. Also the 'celings' were quite low so I was crouchign around a small maze of bushes and paintings calling out, unitl John appeared from a back room. All over the gallery he has painting pinned up, very quick works moslty of tempels, sunsets etc and a huge selection of works to buy, many wiht words and saying on like : Live the Life you love, love the life you live' etc etc. He had also donw some huge works too that are very beautiful. An A3 painting will cost about 300-400b I think and I bought a few. I also bought a few plain paintings anf asked John to write some names in Thai on them for my friends and myself. He has a huge guestbook that is really interesting and his studio was fascinating.

What a find. Anyone who is interesting in art should visit and if not go anyway and support his work.

Sizzling salsa and other latin grooves ...

by Tusitala about Latin Club

The Latin Club is quite new on the Chiang Mai nightlife scene, and attracts the hi-so of locals and a few expatriates too.

Very flashy with mirror balls, black shiny floor, and comfy sofas around the walls to hang out on. Huge variety of music, sometimes even verging on the shlocky western stuff, but all the staples are there on an average night: salsa, cha cha, tango, rock 'n roll, etc to strut your stuff.

You can get lessons on the run if you're not so confident, and some of the resident team (male and female) will dance with you for 500 baht for the evening.

Age range seems to be early 30s to over 70 in the case of one lady regular!

Drinks can be expensive; average bottle of wine runs you around 1000 baht. Dress the part for effect, but not compulsory. Some turn up in jeans and tees.

Night Market

by leffe3 about various

A big open-air plaza opens up at the back of the Night Market to reveal loads of outdoor eating places. Fish on ice, pots boiling away with various rice, noodles, soups and waiters scurrying around the tightly packed tables carrying trays loaded with goodies. Take your pick.

The Karen and Akha tribes of Chiang Mai

by ladyleo0408

Visitors should take some time and visit the wonderful people of the Karen tribe in Chiang Mai. They live near the border of Burma, and the time taken to reach their village would be about 4 hours or so from town. Do NOT liken seeing these indigeneous people as seeing the animals in the zoo. They have a rich culture, and as they do speak a spattering of the English language, you can also ask them about their lifestyle.

Traditionally the women who could afford it would start wearing brass coils on their necks, arms and legs from the time they're 5 years old. The coils would be polished daily so that'd they'd have a high sheen. They'll upgrade their coils whenever they can afford it. The average weight of a coil on an adult woman's neck is about 3 - 5 kg!!! You can buy nice hand-woven cloth at the village. It'll help improve their way of life.

The Akha village is situated right next to the Karen's. Women of the Akha tribe chew betel nut leaves which will leave an unsightly reddish-blackish stain on their teeth. The Akhas are known for thier toolwork and you can buy wood carvings and silverware at their village.

Comments