8 / 3 Rat Chiang Saen 2 Ko Haiya, Haiya, Chiang Mai, 50100, Thailand
Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

More about Chiang Mai

Very close!Very close!

Chedi - Wat Suan DokChedi - Wat Suan Dok

3rd Yao generation from China in Thailand3rd Yao generation from China in Thailand

The waterflower glasshouseThe waterflower glasshouse

cooking schools for people that can cook!

by wasso

Hi...I was wondering if anyone had any good advice about thai cooking schools in Chiang Mai. My husband and I are pretty good cooks and cook quite a bit of Thai inspired food at home. We are in Chiang Mai between Xmas and New Year and wanted to do a good cooking class, but one perhaps a step up from 'this is coriander'! Any advice out there?

RE: cooking schools for people that can cook!

by IndoTarzan

Hope this will help you...

01) http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/content/view/144/30/
02) http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/content/view/143/30/
03) http://www.enjoythaifood.com/

RE: RE: cooking schools for people that can cook!

by thedouglas

Have you looked at the VT tips on this at Chiang Mai? My husband and I spent three wonderful evenings at a cooking school there - KhaoHom - and we also eat a fair bit of Thai inspired food at home. It was impeccably clean, run like clockwork, small classes, food divine and the owner, Tim, has superb English. Look at my tip, as there are quite a few pics of the place and the food.

RE: cooking schools for people that can cook!

by pjdubai

Hi there. I did 3 days of the 5 day cooking course through the Thai Cookery School - http://www.thaicookeryschool.com

I was so impressed. You could either do the course at the restaurant or the house; I chose the house. What a fantastic experience!!! Some of the cooking is fairly basic for someone who is a reasonably accomplished cook but most of it is a real eye opener. They have most of the fresh ingredients growing in the amazing garden behind the house, all the cooking is done in a relaxed outdoor area and the atmosphere between the participants is very good.

Making curry paste for the first time was a lot harder then I thought it would be but I still make it at home now (except I use a food processor). My cook book from these classes is dog eared and stained so I am going to have to write it all out again or get another copy.

I would suggest letting Sampon know that you are good cooks so you don't have to sit through any explanations that you might find a bit run of the mill but overall I found the level of the experience to be quite high.

Overall this was one of the highlights of my first trip to Thailand.

Have fun

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

organising treks and visas

by call_me_rhia

When I started enquiring about jungle treks I ended up in some supposed travel agencies that were more scams than travel agents. No question about group size and so on was ever answered - and people suddendly seemed to have forgotten their english. FInally, but it was merely luck, I stumbled upon Topper Tours, and things started to look bright again. Laura was very helpful and friendly - and answered all questions - eventually not only I booked a tour with her, but also had her organize my Laos visa and plane ticket back to Bangkok. All I can say is that, although marginally more expensive than other dodgy tours, you really get what you pay for with Topper.
Address: 7/1 Phrapokklao Road, Soi 5.

Shopping in small villages

by oceania26

I'd highly recommend that you buy any crafts, arts, clothing, cushion coverings, etc in the village tribes for 2 reasons. One, the villagers actually make that stuff and sell it to the street vendors in teh big cities and get paid very little but sell the stuff to tourist 5 times the price. Two, the villagers are really poor they could use the money much more and they are the one that put the hard work into it. I bought a wall hanging that was selling in Chiang Mai for about $50 for $10 in the village and I knew it was authentic.

PLEASE DO NOT BARGAIN with the villagers. They're already selling it at a very low price and are not willing to bargain...they need the money.

$2.50 an hour - What a Deal!

by TravelChick67

For day long jaunts and visits to the factories, be sure to hire a car and driver - don't do a tour. You want to e able to go at your own pace AND change your mind mid-stream if you feel like it. Hiring a car and driver is the best way to go.

We hired Ben (and his Volvo) for $2.50 per hour. Very comfy and nice cold a/c.

Don't worry about finding them, they will find you. In the city center there are always many cars and drivers hanging around various hotels looking for a fare. Just hunt until you find one with a car you like and who seems to speak enough English (or whatever language you need) to get you around.

In the picture left, you can see the white Volvo and it's driver Ben, the man to the right in the shadows with white hair. He was very nice and spoke decent English. Also, we asked him where there were some second hand shops (like a pawn shop) and he drove us right over where we found a beautiful ruby ring for myself and an old watch for my hubby.

And yes, they were real! LOL We know our stuff. If you DON'T know about these things then I would caution you not to buy gems and such in Asia as there are many scams.

Dessert Pancakes

by DarkRay

I was crazy over this stuff in Krabi and was dissapointed that I could not find it in Bangkok. But I was certainly ecstatic to find it being sold in Chiang Mai from a pushcart street vendor, who had situtated himself opposite the Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel where I was staying one day.

Some street vendors call it "Roti" and some others call it "Rotee". But regardless what they call it, it is basically a freshly cooked thin pancake made from a mixture of wheat and rice flour which is used to wrap ingredients such as chopped bananas, and/or topped with other ingredients like chocolate sauce. A simple, but sinfully delicious delight. My personal favourite is the Banana with Chocolate Sauce Roti.

Maesa Elephant Camp

by iammon

Near Nam Tok Mae Sa is the Measa Elephant Camp. It is a nice day trip out of Chang Mai if you want to get away from the city noise as it is located in a nice valley in the forests. They have three shows a day: 08:00 am, 09:40 am and 1.30 pm. You can buy sugar cane and bananas and feed them to the elephants. Or if you are not careful they come and steal it from you. They have a nursery and an elephant school. If you are there in the morining you will be able to watch how they take their baths in the river. During the show the elephants play soccer and paint picutres. Im normally sceptical about such things but it seems that the elephants have fun doing it. And I guess it is a way to preserve the asian elephant from distinction.

You best take a taxi from Chiang Mai and combine this trip with some other stops like nice orchid gardens.

Comments