Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort

221/2 Moo 20 Kwaewai Rd, Tambon Robwieng, Amphur Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 61% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort

Cannot imagine anything nicer!

by TripAdvisor Member HollySChicago

We arrived at the Le Meridien Chiang Rai in the back of a red truck and our jaws dropped. My daughter was finishing up a 3 week volunteering program with some local hilltribes and I had just arrived from a 36 hour journey from Chicago. Le Meridien Chiang Rai was spectacular. An absolute oasis. I have so many wonderful things to say about that hotel, that I don't know where to begin. Understated elegance is the best way to describe it. Cool towels, iced tea and a private tour to our upgraded room by management was just the beginning. Our room had every amenity conceivable, including luxurious beds and bedding, a private balcony with relaxing lounging area overlooking the pools and river, and a gorgeous bathroom. The staff could not have been more helpful, seeming to anticipate our every need. I received hourly updates on my lost luggage from the Concierge and was even given a ride into town by the evening manager when our taxi got mixed up. This was were above and beyond anything I have ever experience at a hotel. The grounds were spectacular with multiple infinity pools edging up to the river. Great restaurants too...I asked about some paper used on their menus and received complete information about it's source the next morning. We were certainly pampered and I hope to have that experience again.!! The entire staff waved goodbye to us and sent us off with yummy boxed lunches. Perfection!

Will be back soon!

by TripAdvisor Member reviewfan

My husband and I had to go to Chaing Rai for our merit making at a temple. We had a very limited but wonderful time at the resort.

The resort itself is very new and stylish. Very peaceful & relaxing.

Guest services are so impressive, every where in the resort and every staff. They really made me feel that I was a 'valueable guest'.

We were fortunate to get upgrading to river view room which were very beautiful and pleasant. The balcony offered a very good pool & river view....I can still remember how I felt on that day.....

From a very boring city inhabitant point of view, I truly fell in love with Le Meridien Chiang Rai!!!

Pools and activities are great. Drinks at the bar are also superb.

Business center & library are great. Staff were very helpful eventhough I asked specific questions about the temple I was going to.

Gyms were also good with free bottles of water...very nice!!

By the way, during check out, I wanted to buy a laundry bag but surprisingly I got it as a souvenir from front office manager!!

I really had such a great time from the entry to the exit, throughout my stay!!

If you are looking for some place to relax yet close to the city center, this is it!

Best holiday ever..can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Amandapatel

We’ve wanted to visit Thailand for some time but we had a couple of challenges to overcome. We didn’t want to do the same old thing that all our friends had already done and my partner has such a severe nut allergy visiting the home of satay sauce and peanut oil made us nervous to say the least! After much research we discovered the recently opened Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort and decided the take the plunge and it turned out to be our best holiday ever.

The reservation staff understood immediately about nut allergies and not only gave us many reassurances about their hotel but also helped with maps and details of safe places to eat and the nearest hospital should it be needed.

On arrival we were met at the airport and driven the short 15 minute transfer by private car to the hotel. The staff couldn’t have been more welcoming and immediately on check-in they confirmed that they, and the chefs at each restaurant, knew about my partner’s nut allergy. We were shown to our room which had an incredible balcony view across the garden, lake, pools and the river beyond. The room facilities were excellent and the bathroom was big enough for a party it was so large with a great walk-in shower. On discovering the mini bar we realised that all the nuts had been removed and I immediately knew we had chosen the right place to stay.

Both the restaurants we used offered the most delicious local and international dishes. Our favourite was Favola next to the river with it’s outdoor bar and seating and incredible Italian dishes. The level of service we received was excellent no matter who looked after us; everyone knew to discuss the menu and help us choose safely. The chef kindly cooked a number of local dishes without nuts just so that we could enjoy some of the things Thailand is so famous for.

We also wanted to explore the local area and take in the sights. Nothing was too much trouble with the concierge team who carefully planned some incredible tours for us including an elephant trek into the mountains.

Both the spa and the pool were idyllic; we felt we never wanted to leave. Not often do you feel comfortable in recommending something but hand on heart there is nothing we would have changed about this visit other than extending our leaving date!

My favorite resort in the world, truly the perfect place.

by TripAdvisor Member gleff

I had arranged hotel pickup at the Chiang Rai airport, they bill 600 baht one-way or 1000 baht roundtrip. A hotel concierge was waiting just past the arrivals hall, took us out to the waiting vehicle, assisted with luggage, and got in with us. Instead of acting as a dispatcher and sending us on our way, we were accompanied to the hotel both by the driver and concierge.
In addition to being offered cold towels and waters, we were also offered an array of soft drinks. Wholly unnecessary for the very short (10 minute?) drive, but a nice touch.
As we exited the car on arriving at the resort, we were greeted by name. The general manager was there to see to us as well.
The lobby is quite stylish, and offers a lovely view of the river.
The room was uniquely stylish, and larger than I expected, I certainly wasn’t going to have a lack of space – a large bathroom (with glass wall looking into the bedroom), and an area large enough to have a sitting area and desk in addition to the bed area. The balcony looked out at the river and pool, had comfortable furniture, but wasn’t large enough for lounge chairs or much outdoor dining.
The breakfast was a real highlight. Each morning we picked the same outside table, after we selected the table a second time we never had to ask for it again – every staff member just automatically brought us there when we entered the restaurant.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant Latest Recipe. There’s all-day dining there, and we ate there incessantly. The “concept” restaurant is Favola, Italian food on the river. But honestly, I don’t come to Northern Thailand to eat Italian. And the Asian dishes at Latest Recipe were all quite good. Usually I’m not a fan of resort food, there’s a lowest-common denominator element to it where they try to satisfy all tastes and wind up with bland, overpriced food. That wasn’t the case here at all, and the Northern-style dishes were all especially interesting and flavorful.
The best parts of breakfast were the excellent cappuccinos, the varied hot items (dim sum some days, other days a hot soup bar, in addition of course to cooked-to-order eggs and such), not to mention that it’s complimentary to Platinums. The breakfast buffet even pays attention to the little things (not just the delicious juices above!) like how honey is provided, straight out of a honeycomb:
But the thing that really set it apart is that the staff would bring out little tasters of different dishes that weren’t available on the buffet, usually every 10 or 15 minutes. That was especially appreciated because we tend to go to breakfast and just drink coffee for an hour or so before ever going up to the buffet, just relaxing but sometimes we wait too long to eat. This way the food came to us while we enjoyed our coffee and the beautiful scenery.
Room service was quite good – Latest Recipe’s food (more or less, with a little variation in the menu) along with outstanding presentation.
Having everything ready “just in case” seemed to be a major theme of the property. They seemed fully staffed, with more employees available at all times than guests anywhere you went. They have an activity schedule of such things as archery, Thai boxing, ball exercise, Batic Art (I admit, I had to look it up) and Yoga. Guests almost never showed up, but the staff members were prepared and in place – just in case anyone did.
The same is true for the pool, and the gym. The fitness facility is lovely, with a large supply of bottled water and towels and a nice bathroom to accompany the brand new machines with built-in TV (I didn’t notice if there was internet, but don’t think there was) and weight machines as well as ample free weights. The gym attendant would offer to assist with workouts. I don’t think anyone else visited the gym besides us during out stay.
The pool, at least with how deserted it was during our stay, was excellent. There’s a pool attendant whose job is to make up lounge chairs and bring each guest a cold bottle of water and cold towel. He’s invisible and non-intrusive, while you approach and pick out your preferred spot. But once you make your selection he comes running and springs into action. (I did like that the pool lounge chairs had stowable drink trays built-in.) The staff member at the pool would wait hours and hours on end, just in case somebody decided to come out to the pool. Chances are, no one would.
The pool-side menu was served from the Italian restaurant, Favola, right next to it. The food arrived quickly and was high-quality.
In addition to the pool, there’s a lovely spot to relax with lounge chairs right on the river.
Consistent with Le Meridien’s branding themselves with art, there’s a complimentary hotel shuttle which takes you not only to Chiang Rai town and back (four times daily) but also to the Royal Collection of Lanna Art at Rai Mae Fah Luang (twice daily, timed to give you a little over an hour to visit before bring you back).
Evening turndown service included not just refreshed towels and more waters. They also brought a different history card each day, talking about the local area, for example Doi Mae Salong, Wat Prakaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), Monument of King Mengrai, and Phra That Doi Tung.
And each evening different chocolate treats were delivered complimentary, along with a note about an honor or accolade the hotel had won (it’s on the Conde’ Nast Hotlist for 2009, for instance). Usually the accolade was written in chocolate on chocolate, accompanying the chocolate.
The spa was an outstanding facility. And of course nobody was using it. They were offering 20% off as well as treatment specials in order to encourage use, and the spa manager would accompany a masseuse out to the pool on occasion when guests were there to offer a complimentary brief massage, in the hopes that such might stimulate the thought of additional treatments. I didn’t take them up on it poolside, but did have a couple of excellent treatments.
Le Meridien Chiang Rai was amazing. On the whole, it may well have provided the best service I’ve had at a hotel – in large measure because it was universally warm service. Everyone knew you, knew your name, knew your preferences, sought to engage you (but also to be unobtrusive).
When we left the resort, the General Manager was there again to see us off. But she wasn’t alone. We had mentioned to her how much we had enjoyed the food, and so the hotel’s chef was there to thank us for the compliment and bid us well. And that last morning we had done a cooking class at the hotel, and so the chef who guided our instruction joined them in seeing us off.

Hidden Gem - 6 star

by TripAdvisor Member Maldivian2007

Chiang Rai Le Meridian was truly amazing and a hidden gem in Northern Thailand. We went there during our 2.5 weeks trip of Laos, Burma, Northern Thailand and Egypt in April 2009. We stayed for 2 nights and it was surely not enough but we had to move on.

It is a brand new resort (about 6 months old when we were there) with excellent facilities, very very nicely decorated and large rooms, good food and, and that is what makes it stand out completely, the excellent staff. The fact that it is only new makes this more incredible. It was run very well and every one knew exactly what they were doing and they were surprising knowledgeable and flexible - something you don't normally associate with new hotels. It means that they really picked their staff well and training must have been excellent. The hotel manager came out to bid us goodbye when we left and it surely left an impression on us. We let her know our impression on their staff too.

The only things that were missing when we were there were the guests. We were probably one of about 10 guests in the entire resort at the time, except that for the first night they had invited dozens of media and travel journalists to try out the new resort. They were obviously treated very well - and we got the benefit of that with free cocktails/canapes the first night at the bar (everyone was invited) and the breakfast the next morning was absolutely stunning. We have stayed in many resorts/hotels around the world and that (the first breakfast) was clearly the one with most variety. Given the lack of guests, we were given full attention as if we were at a 2 star restaurant. So it was fantastic. The breakfasts included Chinese BBQ duck/pork (!), coongee, dumplings, all the normal things you get with european breakfast, english breakfast, indian breakfast and japanese breakfast. Plus they had things that they cook only on order (I am talking about things like eggs benedict and other sophisticated stuff).

In terms of facilities, they have everything you would normally think a 6 star (yes, that's what it is) hotel would offer; so I won't bore you with details about those.

The resort is situated by the river and it looks stunning from there. The location itself is slightly out of the way from the city centre so you will need to catch a cab or tuk tuk to the city (about 5 to 10 mins). However, there are some nice restaurants about 5 mins walk down the river from the resort, and they are good value if you go at night.

Overall, I can only recommend it and I wish they will do well after the financial crisis.

wunderbar

by TripAdvisor Member M_Teo

Had a memorable stay here. The resort is new and the service is impeccable. ALL the staff provide exceptional service and give their utmost best. Wherever we go we are always greeted with a warm and friendly smile, It jus have the WOW factor.

Great Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member ef7

We stayed for only one night but it was our most relaxing night of our month long trip to Thailand and Vietnam. (We stayed at Le Meridien Bangkok and Chiang Mai prior to coming to Chiang Rai.) As it is a resort, there is not too much around but if rest is what you need, this is the place. The staff was amazing as they made our stay very comfortable. They spoke English quite well. The GM Ms. Scott even greeted us as we left! The rooms were big with a balcony and it was very modern and clean. The pool was great for our young children and the scenery around the resort is just beautiful. They had a wonderful business center/library and internet was free inside the business center and the library had lots of things to do for our children. We ate dinner at the Italian restaurant in the hotel and it was pretty good. We highly recommend this place to anyone who will be in Chiang Rai.

Outstanding service

by TripAdvisor Member dainabrisbane

We stayed at the LM Chiang Rai for three nights in July. We had already stayed at the LM Chiang Mai and were going on to the LM in Bangkok. After experiencing the three locations we can without any doubt say that the service and attention of the staff at Chiang Rai was outstanding. We had the pleasure of meeting Anne the GM, I think, as we checked in. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. The only disappointment was the pool side restaurant. We ate there on our last night in CR and unfortunately the meal did not live up to our expectations. Interesting menu, good wine, but my dish was a seafood pasta that - I counted - consisted of one prawn and one or two small scallops with a lot of tomato sauce and pasta with a sprinkling of parmesan. Not what the menu offered at all. My husband's dish was also disappointing. Having said that it was the only blight on our stay there. Breakfast was excellent with attentive service and good hot food as well as the usual cold fare. I would definitely stay there again but would give the poolside restaurant a miss. Plenty of other places to eat. We didn't try the other restaurant so can't comment on that.

out of this world

by TripAdvisor Member curtis69

Although travelling extensively in Asia (Shanghai, HongKong, Bangkok, Singapore) as well as Europe and the U.S.A. for 40 years, this was the best I ever experienced not being announced as VIP. The staff was exceptionally and genuinely friendly and attentive.
The restaurant was out of this world, both food selection and taste and the restaurant staff could read our minds. As said if you are VIP you expect something like this but checking in as ordinary people we were truly overwhelmed by the genuine friendliness and exceptionally trained staff.
Looking foreward to find a reason to visit again!

Couldn´t be better

by TripAdvisor Member stringerbell34

Short opinion to say that this is one of the best hotel i´ve stayed ever. Every thing was perfect, starting with the magic welcome, following with the marvellous breakfast, swimming pool, surroundings, and ending with the absolute fantastic staff. I have no words to say how charming and splendid was all, and i dream about coming back. Thank you!

Chiang Rai - ThailandChiang Rai - Thailand

Chiang Rai - ThailandChiang Rai - Thailand

the same street market in the early eveningthe same street market in the early evening

At the Golden Triangle lookoffAt the Golden Triangle lookoff