Muang Pai Resort

Bus from Chiang Mai to Pai, Maehongson & Khunyuam

by Pat_Bangkok

Start from Arcade Bus Terminal in Chiang Mai

Normal bus
CM - Pai 80 baht (3 hours)
CM - Khunyuam 153 baht (5 hours)
CM - Maehongson 180 baht (8 hours)

Pai-Mae Hong Son

by call_me_rhia

The Pai-Mae Hong Son is a really nice area to hike, in the sense that there isn't too much tourism yet, and a great place to go bamboo-rafting although the rivers are sometimes are far too gentle and shallow to really have a wild time. It's also the perfect location to visit interesting hilltribe villages. I visited three and I have fond memories of them all. Other than this this is limestone country, and there are several interesting caves to visit - with huge natural theatres and stalagtites/stalagmites

Pai.........Mae Hong Son

by sunnythai

"Pai........"

I quit a job, at the time, and called a friend asked her if she wanted to go to Pai. She said yes. ... ...no hesitation at all.

We took a bus from Chaing Mai to Pai. It took us four funny hours. (In 2005, we paid 100 Baht for a taxi from Chaing Mai Airport to the Bus Station; 20 minutes. Then, we paid 65 Baht each for the 4- hour bus from Chaing Mai to Pai...!!! )

Pai gave me a lesson of motorbike riding. Exciting.....

"Summer in Pai"

We went to Pai in a middle of summer, which was not a peak season in term of tourism. But we found that we could enjoy Pai not less than we could in the high season. Low season gave us massive choices of accomodation in very sensible price. We went there for four nights, we stayed in three places. How lovely!!

"Beautiful morning"

We woke up early everyday and rode our motorbike to town. Enjoy fantastic morning of Pai.

Pai had it own style. Ancient buildings were stunning. We ran taking pictures here and there like crazy.

Luckily, we woke up before other tourists. Only locals saw us went crazy!!!

Incredible Thailand

by Tguru2005

"Thailand - Laos"

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, Luang Prabang, Ventienne, Phuket, Phi Phi Island.

An amazing trip for which I have no time right now to expand upon.

"Pai"

"Luang Prabang"

Dressing up in traditional Karen CostumeDressing up in traditional Karen Costume

Tham Pla Forest ParkTham Pla Forest Park

ChediChedi

Highway 107Highway 107

Round Trip Southwest Thailand

by HansWerner

I´ve been already two times to Thailand and I´m thinking about a third time. First time I was in Phuket and in Souththailand, the second time in the north (Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son) and on Koh Samui and Ko Tao. Now I want to make a round trip and visit Phuket (Flight Destination), Ko Phi Phi, Krabi and Ko Lanta. My main interests are diving, motor biking, rafting, sea kayaking, hiking, see waterfalls and so on. Where can I do the booking of hotels for thailand in the internet ? I remember two websites. Something with asiarooms and thaihotels. Special tips for what to see in this region or around Krabi, Ko Lanta ? What about connections between the islands ? Can I make a one week dive trip by boat in this region ? I don´t mean Similan Islands. Is it possible to fly from Germany to Phuket and fly back from Krabi or Bangkok ?

Re: Round Trip Southwest Thailand

by jrs1234

Hi -

I've used

to book a hotel in Bangkok earlier this year quite sucessfully - I've also seen others recommend

but there are plenty of others as well.

You'll probably have to fly via Bangkok, but you should be able to arrange connecting flights to Phuket and from Krabi easily enough.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Re: Re: Round Trip Southwest Thailand

by Mahieu

www.asia-hotels.com is indeed a very good website, with reviews from people who already went to the hotels.
For your region, following website might be interesting: http://www.phuket-hotels.com/
It's in French, but you have the opportunity to change into English.

Greetz

Re: Round Trip Southwest Thailand

by kiki13

I agree w/ the other posters...asia-hotel.com is a good site.
Another one, which offers really helpful info. on hotels,activities etc... is Sawadee.com

Chiang Mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok

by AngieTan

I am planning a trip from chiang mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok. Am thinking of taking the bus from Chiangmai to Sukhothai for 2 nites. Or is it better to take the train instead? Does the train stop in sukhothai?
What about getting from Sukhothai to Bangkok.
No planes for me...

Re: Chiang Mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok

by Sevsa

The train doesn't go to Sukhothai. I was there in October but I was coming from Vientiane and used the bus which was fine. I think the the closest train stop is Philsanulok and you can get a bus from there or just catch a couple of buses to Sukhothai from Chiang Mai. Check out www.railway.co.th for train info. Going back to BKK is again either by bus or going to the nearest train station.
Sukhothai is a nice little town and the ruins are interesting. Bus station is a few kms outside of the town center so its a very long walk (did it once with a daypack) or local transport (30-50 baht).

RE: Chiang Mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok

by beebah

Ah.. yes you can do by train. But as comment above you have to take a bus to Phitsanulok station which is located 56 km. away from Sukhothai (Actually there's one train that passes Sawankhalok in Sukhothai but it's only once a day)

I think catching a train from Phitsanulok to Bangkok is the best way.

:-) enjoy

RE: RE: Chiang Mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok

by AngieTan

Thanks for your advice. Have you been to Pai. After discussing with friends we finalise our trip. 3 nites to Chiang Dao, then move on to Pai and from Pai to Sukhothai and finally Bangkok. Not sure if there si a direct bus from Pai to Sukhothai or do we have to take another bus from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai.

RE: RE: Chiang Mai to Sukhothai to Bangkok

by beebah

Pai is in Mae Hong Son, and there's a bus route Pai-Mae Hong Son- Chiangmai (takes 7- 9 hours depends..) From Pai if you don't fly I think you have to come back to Chiangmai first and then catch the train from Chiangmai to Sukhothai. No direct bus. Pai is very small town. It's famous for 'nothingness' but breath taking nature, spending lazy days..few years ago.

But nowadays since it's getting more and more popular there're some luxury resorts and spas there already (Which I think it sucks big time) More tourists, you might see foreigners more than the locals. Anyway, still worth visiting.. should go before it's losing its charm.

package trips

by handyandy

We are flying to Thailand in march and were looking for a good tour say 7 to 9 day of Northern Thailand any suggestions

by yvr

If you are flying into Bangkok which I suspect you are, there are an abundance of travel agencies that could help you plan a tour. The golden triangle tour may be just what you are looking for.

by SirHalberd

Getting a tour in Thailand is real easy. You can get the package tour you want if you like or you can pick and choose individual tours and not have to stick to a schedule. In Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya travel agencies act as tour brokers and they will have a selection list of available tours. Tour companies pick you up at your hotel and return you there at the end of the trip.

You can see Bangkok on your own or take a few tours and then fly up to Chiang Mai and get your tours from a travel agency there. You can even take an overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai if you want, that way you can save paying for another night in a hotel in Bangkok. Chiang Mai travel agencies have tours that go to Chiang Rai Golden Triangle area, local hill tribes and other popular tourist attractions. Sample tours that you can ask about.

Don't avoid seeing Bangkok, it's worth a visit! There are two airports in Bangkok that serve that area, if you are scheduling flights keep in mind that these airports are on different sides of the city. Some local, within Thailand flights leave from Don Muang Airport DMK.

Good luck.

by petuktuk

The Mae Hong Son Loop is good for a tour of Northern THailand. Great that you have enough time 7/9 days as many people don't allow themselves enough time for this area. The loop goes something like Chiang Mai- Pai - Mae Hong Son- Mae Sariang -Chiang Mai, it can be done in reverse order and needs a minimum of 4 days. Mae Hong Son is famous for the diversity of ethnic minorities and hilltribes living here, and its pristine trekking routes. The loop will give you a great overview and feel for life, culture and nature in the North which is distinctly different from the rest of Thailand. Check out www.thailandhilltribeholidays.com

Travel Tips for Mae Hong Son

Jong Kum temple

by pattayaraj

This old temple was built in 2370 B.E. It 's the center of Tai culture and festivals with Jong Klang temple.All architectures in Kong Kum temple was built in Tai style. All main viharas or halls covered with multi tiered roofs called Prasart style as the palace of King or religious representative. The main hall housed a big Buddha images called Long Por To which built in Burmese style.

Comments