2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Enjoyable Stay

We recently stayed in the Ruean Thai Hotel for three nights. We arranged pick up from Sukhothai Airport to the hotel for 600 baht per car one way. The driver was there waiting for us when we arrived. We took the same service back.

The Ruean Thai Hotel is housed in a large, old wooden Thai house. Check in was friendly and pleasant. The receptionist gave us a small map of the hotel surroundings and information about how to get to Old Sukhothai and what to see there. Our room, the ill-named Room 101, was right next to the pool. The pool was for me the best feature of this hotel. It was set in a lovely central courtyard surrounded by rooms and all around it was an assortment of interesting curios and bricabrac the family who own the place have built up over the years. This included masks, several clocks (all at the wrong time), an assortment of dog ornaments -same style different sizes, Hilda Ogden style flying geese, among other things. At night the scent of jasmine wafted through the air as you swam. Heavenly.

Our room was decorated with the same dark, heavy, old fashioned furniture found throughout the hotel. It was in keeping with the hotel style.The bed was comfy and clean and had a mosquito net all round it, as the little blighters were pretty ferocious all over Sukhothai. There was a reasonable amount of storage space if you were travelling fairly light. There was a good selection of TV channels.

Towels were provided, as was soap and shampoo. The shower always had hot water. It was the kind of shower that drains across the bathroom floor though.

We brought our own swimming towels with us from home. I believe there was a charge of 40 baht for a swimming towel from reception. A bit mean, I think.

There was no tea/coffee making facility in the room. Two bottles of water were provided daily. A safety deposit box for valuables was available at reception.

Breakfast was OK. You are provided with instant coffee, tea bags etc and make your own. This was good for me as I like a couple of cups of coffee in the morning. There was plenty of bread and a toaster. Jam was available but not butter!! There were fried eggs, omelette, spring rolls, pork wonton, sausage, meat (sort of ham) and fried rice. All rather cold it has to be said. Fresh fruit and fruit juice was also available.

We ate evening meals at the hotel twice. The food was much better than breakfast. I especially liked the chicken curry and the pork wonton. Prices were a little dearer than in the restaurants near the bus station, but still reasonable.

The hotel is a bit away from the centre of New Sukhothai, about 20 minutes on foot to the songtheaws to Old sukhothai. The hotel offers free transport to the songtheaw or transport all the way to Old Sukhothai for 270 baht. If you go by Songtheaw, it is 30 baht per person.

The hotel sells bottles of beer from its fridge - 79 baht for a big bottle of Chang, 89 baht for a big bottle of Singha. There is a 7 eleven about 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Exit the front of the hotel, go left. When you reach the main road go right until you reach it.

The hotel was nice and quiet when we tried to go to sleep but on two of our three nights there was loud music from somewhere nearby the hotel. The owner said this was to do with a food festival so not sure if this happens all the time. I must admit I cannot stand loud noise. On one night it stopped around 10pm on the other around 11pm.

The hotel certainly has lots of character, the pool was great and staff were pleasant.

More about Ruean Thai Hotel

Shops at Suhkothai bus stationShops at Suhkothai bus station

Sign With wat Sorasak In BackgroundSign With wat Sorasak In Background

Some Of Our Mini Vans - WaitingSome Of Our Mini Vans - Waiting

SOME OF THE MANY SCENES AT THIS HISTORICAL SITESOME OF THE MANY SCENES AT THIS HISTORICAL SITE

Ratchathani Hotel

by amytoh

Anyone heard of this hotel? Is it ok to stay here? Said to be in the city centre and near to night market. Any other alternative suggestions - must be budget, ie. below 1000B, clean, with attached hot shower, near night market. TQ.

by thedouglas

We stayed at the River View Hotel - have at least one pic on relevant page. It was just across from the night market, and quite clean and adequate. Not much to choose from in Sukhothai, and some we looked at were fairly gross. I don't know the one you mention though.

by vtveen

We stayed in Lotus Village in (old) Sukhothai. Very close to the market (as everything in Sukhothai) and it has a wonderful setting in a tropical garden.
See: www.lotus-village.com

happy travels
Jaap

RE: RE: Ratchathani Hotel

by Sevsa

Stayed in Lotus Village also and I'm in agreement with the last post. It has nice rooms in a nice setting and is close enough to the market to walk. The bus station however is far from the center of town and everything of importance to travellers.

by amytoh

Thanks to all who replied. Am now considering the Lotus Village.

How far is it from the night market? I have elderly people travelling with me and they prefer to not walk much.

Thanks!

RE: RE: Ratchathani Hotel

by vtveen

I think it is 200/300 meters.
See also the map of Skhothai on the website of Lotus Village (www.lotus-village.com)

by sezabell

we also stayed at the lotus, maybe we just to budget but didnt think was worth it!we thought we were getting the whole teak house to ourselfs, payed the price for the whole thing then to find out that we were sharing it.
shower not off the bedrooms. although the setting was beautiful we did get quite a few mozzie bites as the rooms are over water. we woundered alot where was the toilet being emptied out in to!!!

by sukhothai

I stayed at Ruean Thai Hotel, it's very very beautiful but the price is reasonable. it locates in the city, but not crowded and noisy. see (www.rueanthaihotel.com)

Travel Tips for Sukhothai

What to bring

by ishi01

There is not much shopping to be done, so additional bags, or the bag in the bag situation will not be required...reserve that for trip to jatujak in bangkok. Light cotton t-shirt and pants/skirts.

You'd be walking on grass quite a bit. If you dont like the feeling of dry grass in your sandals, bring a pair of walking or sports shoes for the walkabout around the ruins....and oh, a hat with large brims will come in handy in the afternoons. Mosquito repellant is mandatory, depending on the time of the year and level of tolerance, sun tan lotion.
January is supposed to be 'winter' at that altitude, but it was hot, even for tropical me. There is a camera shop at the Big C half way between the old and new town for your camera needs. But do load up on the batteries before going to the sites. It will be frustrating when you are busy snapping away and the camera goes buzz buzz due to low bat...and snapping away you shall. Adaptor for your phone and laptops...and whatever else your electrical needs.

Buddha at Wat Saphan Hin

by gib157

I found this to be one of the most, if not the most beautiful buddha images i saw in Thailand. It was so simple, only just shorter than me, but the shape was perfect, and the expression - so full of calm and reasurring contentment. There was still some gold left on the face, and I really liked that someone had placed a golden cloth around the shoulders. I know this is nothing unusual, but it looked so subtle - the evidence that it was a site still cared for, and that someone was dedicated enough to return here and do this

Wat Si Chum

by call_me_rhia

The most stunning temple, in my opinion, is the Wat Si Chum. I was impressed by the huge white buddha statue: it's 11.30 metres high, but you'll only be aware of its size once you position yourself by one of its hands. It's placed inside a square mondop 15 metres high - and it feels like entering a tunnel

Mahathat temple

by pattayaraj

This temple is the most important temple in Sukhothai city where located in the city center.This temple was built in King Sri Intratit.From the 1st incription of Sukhothai described about the center of Sukhothai city located the temple where housed the golden Buddha image,standing Buddha image and huge Buddha image.That golden Buddha image is "Phra Sri Sakya Munee",now housed in Suthat temple,Bangkok. Inside this temple are a group of Chedis or stupas for 200 stupas, Viharas as a place for preaching ,Mandops ,Ubosot as ordination hall and ponds. The principal building is the lotus bud chedi in Sukhothai style.This style counted as the symbol of Sukhothai Kingdom.It housed the great relic.On the same base contains 8 chedis at the sides and corners.The base of this group of chedis decorated with stucco depicted the monk images in walking position to the same direction. In front of the main group of chedis is a huge Vihara where used to housed "Phra Sri Sakya Munee". Also ,on the North and South, there are Mondops houses standing buddha images called "Phra Attharot".
I have been there for many times ,this temple is always wonderful and attractive and I still not discovered all buildings. Absolutely sure, I will be there again.

Lotus

by dabuwan

Some of the temples inside the Sukhothai Historical Park are surrounded by ponds filled with Lotus flowers. The scenery is even more picturesque, then.
There are small wooden bridges to cross the ponds by foot or with your bicycle

Comments