Sila Resort

More about Sukhothai

CarriagesCarriages

Identification MarksIdentification Marks

Notice - Drwaing Of Wat Sri SawaiNotice - Drwaing Of Wat Sri Sawai

Prawn paste fried rice - blandPrawn paste fried rice - bland

How do I get there?

by drjlim

How do I get there from BKK? How many hours should I spare to visit this place?

Re: How do I get there?

by riproy

The most direct way is by bus from Morchit, the northern bus terminal. It is an overnight ride and can be pretty comfortable if you get a VIP bus. About a 7 hour trip. You can do it by day too, but you burn up a lot of sightseeing time.
You will need a day there. Rent a bicycle so that you can get around and see the whole thing at your own pace.

Re: Re: How do I get there?

by fraine

There is also an airport at Sukhothai - is less than 1 hour flight - depends on your budget.
Spend a full day there if you are super keen, can easily be covered on bicycle for a half day.
Also can take train to Phitsanoluk, then half hour bus to Sukhothai.
Can recommend Lotus Garden guesthouse.
F

Re: Re: How do I get there?

by ECYM

Hi,

I'm going to Sukhothai in a week's time. Still haven't figure which is the best mean to go from BKK as we are on a budget and I hate travelling coach in long hours... I am think of going by train... anybody know how long would it take a train to reach Sukhothai from BKK? How much am I expected to pay for the trip and where is the railway station in BKK?

appreciate any help...

Regards

EC

Travel Tips for Sukhothai

Loy Krathong

by Mahieu

Loy Krathong is one of the biggest Thai festivals. It is held on the full moon of the 12th lunar month. The main festivities are held in Sukhothai, so I was very lucky to be there on that night. I had a great time celebrating with the Thai people, watching the Krathongs floating, enjoying the fireworks and the vendors' food.
On this picture, you can see my Krathong floating.

Wat Pra Bat Noi

by gib157

Wat Pra Bat Noi (Lesser Footprint hill)is another ruin just south of Wat Saphan Hin. Very overgrown and crumbling. I find something very fascinating about these hidden relicts. I saw no one else in these places and it made it feel a lot more beautiful to me. After coming from the crowded Wat Sri Chum a totally deserted hill top ruin from hundreds of years past is something special.

There was a temple I went to in Cambodia called Phnon Bakheng and there was also a footprint in the same position (facing east) as the one here. My guide told me it represents the foot of buddha taking a giant leap - supposedly the other footprint is miles further east somewhere?

Wat Si Sawai

by hojasdehierba

This is my favourite temple in Sukhothai. The main prang was constructed in Hindu style and it was certainly the begining of a Hindu shrine, but it was finished as a Buddhist temple. The three prangs are enclosed by walls. It is close to the main complex of wats.
Este es mi templo favorito en Sukhothai. La principal torre fue construida en estilo Hindi y era ciertamente el inicio de un lugar de culto hinduista, pero fue terminada como templo budista. Las tres torres estan rodeadas de murallas. Esta situado cerca de la zona principal de templos

Wat Si Sawai

by thedouglas

This lovely little temple is near Wat Mahathat to the south, and consists of three well preserved phra prang (stupas) built in the Thai-Khmer style. This was thought to have been a Khmer sanctuary. The general style of this temple is quite different to most of the others, due to the Khmer influence.

Wat Sa Si

by call_me_rhia

Just outside Wat Mahathat there's another intersting, if smaller, wat: Wat Sa Si. You can reach it by walking over a bridge - and there's the usual beautiful array of chedis and buddha images. The one that fascinated me most was the one of the walking buddha. I read somewhere that this particular "position" is very typical of the area. had I not taken this picture from the front, you could actually see that this buddha is about to take a step forward

Comments