Sukhothai Resort Hotel

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Sukhothai

J&J Guesthouse entranceJ&J Guesthouse entrance

Notice - Wat Phra Phai Luang ReconstructedNotice - Wat Phra Phai Luang Reconstructed

Notice War Si ChumNotice War Si Chum

Sitting Buddha in the MonastrySitting Buddha in the Monastry

How Much Time to Cycle Sukhothai?

by Prachinburi

My girlfriend and I would like to visit Sukhothai Historical Park, but we're not sure how much time we should plan on spending there. We'd like to tour the park on bicycle at a leisurely pace. Is there enough to see that we could easily spend a full day doing this, or would it be better to plan on only half a day?

Also, I've seen conflicting information about the park's hours of operation. I've seen 0800-1600, and I've also seen 0600-1800. Anyone know which is correct?

Thanks!

by vtveen

Hi
We spend about a half day cycling around the historical park on a very leisurely pace. Personally I think a whole is too long just for the park. To be honest we didn't visit the museum.
Sukhothai Historical park was one of the highlights of our Thailand visit !!
Jaap

by keppe

we did it from 10 am till 4 pm , it s very beautiful there, one of the most beautiful temples is just outside the walls, so my advice is certainly bike outside the walls,
oh yes, when you rent a bike you get a map, and the person tells you what the most beautiful temples are;

greeting

by sezabell

we did a half day and that was plenty, be sure to check tyres on bike before you leave especally if you go out of the gates and towrds the other temple to avoid getting a flat tyre half way there as my partner did, we had a long hot walk back, altough the rentel people did offer us another bike when we returned the fun of it was gone.

Re: How Much Time to Cycle Sukhothai?

by easterntrekker

Hi
WE spent 3 hours cycling the park and felt it was enough. I would be surprised if the park opens at 6AM . I recall 8AM bt maybe it depends on the time of year.

Travel Tips for Sukhothai

Going to the toilet at the old city

by thedouglas

The loos at the main shop-restaurant area near Wat Mahathat were very clean - pay 4Bt to visit. I found it a bit offputting to be in there using the toilet while there were male cleaners outside the door mopping and doing general cleaning maintenance! Desperation and bustingness override modesty though! We had a good laugh afterwards.

Old kilns

by thedouglas

We stopped and had a look at some of the old kilns around the walls of Sukhothai - and, after scratching around only very briefly, I had trophied a few pieces of original old Sukhothai broken ceramic objects!

Wat Tra Kuan

by Willettsworld

This temple has been known as Wat Tra Kuan since 1907. Its name was mentioned in the stone inscription of Wat Sorasak around the middle of the 15th century. It is said that the Venerable Mahathera Dharmatrailok from Dao Khon came from the north to see his nephew who was a ruler of Sukhothai and he resided at Wat Tra Kuan during his visit.

Based on the supposition of King Rama VI of the Rattanakosin period, Tra Kuan is a Khmer word which means a kind of vegetable known in Thailand as Phak Bung or the morning glory in English.

Wat Chang Lom - Sukhothai historical park

Fourth Photo: Wat Chang Lom
Fifth Photo: Wat Chang Lom

West side

by Mr.Sparkle

I found The West Zone to more rewarding than the East Zone, but for the simple fact of variety. The hill top temple of Wat Saphan Hin should be on your list of things to do. It’s an easy hike up for starters, only 200m, it has a decent view (not spectacular though) and most importantly there is an impressive free standing Buddha on top, which would be the main reason for going.

The down side is that it’s a little far from the Central Zone. Count on a 20 to 30 minute bike ride over flat, paved terrain.

After seeing Wat Saphan Hin, continue down the road from more ruins, scattered on both sides of the road. They are all in disrepair, so they give an alternate view to what you’ve already seen in the Central and North Zones.

Entry price is 30 Bath to see the whole West Zone.

Expect to spend about 2 to 2 and half hours to see the West Zone.

Comments