Andaburi Resort

The Leaf by Katathani
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 10% higher but also costs 43% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Ban Khao Lak

The tall karstThe tall karst

Rocky ShoreRocky Shore

Workers AccommodationWorkers Accommodation

Rubber MangleRubber Mangle

Sea View Resort in Khao Lak - any information?

by sparrow2004

Hello, is there anybody who knows what happened to the tourists staying at the Sea View Resort & Spa in Khao Lak? Any survivors? I am still looking for my sister Angela Sperling and her son Nicolas Sperling, age 8, both from Germany. According to unconfirmed information they were in the phang gna hospital, but they are not on the list there and I can`t trace them. I`m afraid the information was false - has anybody heard of her? Please help!

Re: Sea View Resort in Khao Lak - any information?

by sara-tonen

according to sawadee.com/tsunami/hotels.htm
the hotel has unknown damage and the hotelcan not be contacted my prayers are with you and your loved ones during this hard and trying time.

Re: Re: Sea View Resort in Khao Lak - any information?

by mk_vienna

Here is a link to pictures of Khao Lak:

The first picture is/was Seaview.
If your friends where in the bungalows, the bungalows are gone. If they stayed in some upper room in the main house, maybe they survived.
I know many of the places from the pictures personally, as I was there 4 times already.

Good Luck to all still searching for relatives and/or friends!!!

Manfred from Vienna

Re: Sea View Resort in Khao Lak - any information?

by Seaview

Hi
I sent you a mail..
/Peter

Travel Tips for Ban Khao Lak

The Proliferation of Dive Shops

by phil_uk_net

Because of Khaolak's proximity to the Similan Islands, one of the world's best diving locations, it is not surprising that more and more dive shops are springing up. At one time Sea Dragon were the only dive shop in town. On my last trip I noticed that the huge place in the picture had suddenly sprung up.

It won't be long until it is like Patong with hundreds of places offering diving. My divemaster friends tell me that the Similans are getting more and more crowded. No surprise really as they are so beautiful. The same will happen there as happened at Phi Phi. I'm glad I got the chance to go when the islands were relatively quiet.

Destruction of the environment

by phil_uk_net

"Lotus restaurant, Bang Niang beach, January 2002"

I was so glad to have 'discovered' Khaolak in early 2002. After being shocked at how development had ruined other places I'd been to in Thailand here was a place that was still relatively unspoilt.

This little restaurant quickly became one of my favourites. Not only were the people working there wonderfully friendly and the food good but the setting was perfect.

It was a classic Thai style rustic building and stood on stilts at the back over a magnificent pond. The pond was covered in waterlilies (note how I am using the past tense), teeming with fish and attracted a variety of local birdlife.

Sitting on the verandah looking out over this perfect scenery was wonderful.

"December 2002"

Returning to Khaolak just 11 months later I was keen to visit my friends again at the restaurant.
This was the scene that greeted me when I arrived. The ground next to the restaurant had started to be dug up ready for new buildings.

"The death of the pond and everything in it"

As a result of the construction this is the new view from the back of the restaurant. Nice, eh?
Within about 6 months this area will be full of new bungalows.

"The end approaches"

This is the view from the back of the restaurant. As you can see, the pond is being filled in and the ground level raised.

The waterlilies have died.

"The last vestiges of life"

A few small fish survive the onslaught but not for long.

"Close to the end"

Some local Thais have seen what is happening and arrive at the pond with fishing nets to collect the remaining fish to eat or sell.
I was due to leave Khaolak the following day but by now there will be no evidence that a beautiful pond ever existed at this spot.

This sequence of events saddened me more than anything has saddened me in years. The worst thing is that nobody seemed bothered. Even the owners of the restaurant, who should be the most sad, could only think of the revenue they would earn from the construction of bungalows on this land.

I understand their view to some extent. They don't have a lot of money and money is everything to them. The thing is though, once an environment is destroyed, it's gone for good.

Since 1987 when I first visited Thailand I have seen this type of thing in many places and sooner or later there won't be anywhere left that hasn't been ruined by greed.

"The destruction is complete"

This was the scene when I returned in November 2003. The lovely restaurant with a thatched roof had been pulled down and replaced by an ugly concrete building with a corrugated roof. Bungalows have been built at the back and there is no sign now that there was ever a beautiful pond there.

"This is progress for you"

The restaurant owners are ecstatic as they now have bungalows they can rent out. Next to the bungalows a huge, ugly building is currently being put up. Compare this picture with the one at the top of the page and tell me what you prefer.

All this has happened in just 2 years. I was fortunate (is that the word?) to have visited this location 4 times in 2 years and I saw the gradual transformation. People arriving for the first time now will have no idea how beautiful it used to be.

Comments