Eurolanta White Rock Resort

181 Moo 6, Klong Nin Beach, Ko Lanta, 81150, Thailand
Eurolanta White Rock Resort
Agoda.com

More about Ko Lanta

The shower in our outdoor bathroomThe shower in our outdoor bathroom

BOB THE DOG-Koh LantaBOB THE DOG-Koh Lanta

Long time for ferry crossingLong time for ferry crossing

Sunset at Ko LantaSunset at Ko Lanta

July Ko Lanta

by slyons81

I'm Planning a honeymoon in Thailand for July. I've done a lot of research and Ko Lanta seems like a first choice. However, I don't know if "July Ko Lanta" is going to offer what I'm looking for. I understand that it is significantly more quiet in July, that doesn't bother me. I do want to be able to enjoy some of the activities that I know are available during the peak season. I also had a few questions with some of the issues regarding the monsoons.
safe to swim (rip tide)?
Rain?
If anyone could help I would be really thankful.

by Doffcocker

Hi,

I spend about 4 months of the year on Lanta, but I haven't been there in July. My mate who stays on the island permanently reckons the best weather is in the low season, I think in July there might be quite a few rain or fairly short thunderstorms but still a lot of sun and heat. However, traditionally Lanta closes down for the Low Season, this usually starts around May when the passenger ferry stops. This is because of the state of the sea, but the ferries run year round to Phi Phi, which you can see from Lanta, so I don't know what the difference is other than supply and demand, as Lanta is less developed than Phi Phi. In the last couple of years a few resorts, bars and restaurants have started to stay open through low season but it is very quiet. The dive schools, etc will be closed. Many of the ex-pats and many of the locals working in the resorts, etc go home for the low season. So I don't think you would get the full range of activities. I don't know about a rip tide but the sea can get a bit rough and it does sort of suck the sand off the beaches clean it and put it back at the end of the low season. There can be lots of tree trunks, etc in the water and on the beaches at the end of the low season

by slyons81

Thanks so much, that was really helpful, kinda affirmed what I thought was true. I looked into Ko Samui, it seems like it's more of a year round destination (?). We're looking for a laid back beach with a lively but not intense atmosphere, Lamai looked like a match. I don't know if you've been but if you have any opinions I appreciate the info. Don't feel obliged to respond but you're very helpful. Take care.

by Doffcocker

Hi,

From around May through to October the prevailing weather is from the west (the West Monsoon) that means that the sea gets rough on the Andaman coast and it bears the brunt of any weather going. The Gulf of Thailand being on the opposite side of the country is protected through this period so resorts such as Ko Samui are more popular. Friends who have been around Thailand for many years tell me that Lanta now is like Samui was 12 - 15 years ago. I'm afraid I don't know that side of Thailand so I can't recommend anywhere

Travel Tips for Ko Lanta

Lazy Longtail boat trip around the Island

by shelley2007

Circumnavigate Ko Lanta, a full day’s adventure, this trip offers the easiest solution, exploring East and West coasts of Lanta, as well as the mangrove forests in between Ko Lanta Yai and Ko Lanta Noi. Enjoy the sheltered beach with lighthouse on Ko Lanta’s National Park; sip a cool drink while sitting on the sands of Ao Nui on the West Coast. With a wealth of bird-watching opportunities in the ancient Mangrove forests and stops at some of the favorite beach spots along the way, pick-up service from almost anywhere. A swimsuit and Towel, Cold beer is on the boat!

Elephant Trekking

by Loops

There are a couple of elephant treks you can go on. We went on one which took about an hour, through the rubber plantations.

The elephants are apparently not native to Lanta, they are ex-logging elephants which were shipped over to tourist areas after a ban on logging was brought in by the government, resulting in jobless elephants all over Thailand. If this is true (which I suspect it is as my trusty guidebook tells me so!) then at least the tourists are providing the elephants with a better lifestyle than hanging around busy streets begging for food.

The great thing about elephant trekking is that it is so quiet and peaceful - you don't imagine that elephants move about so silently, being such large animals, but as they walk through the forest, they are actually quieter than the average human!

The guides took us down a couple of quite steep banks which was weird as you feel like you're going to fall off, and we walked along a stream that was quite shallow as it was the dry season, however, they do the same route in the wet season and I saw photos of elephants in the stream up to their heads in water, which must be quite good fun.

We'd done an elephant trek once before in Ko Samui, but this one was better as it was longer and the land wasn't as flat.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the baby elephant show afterwards. When you get back to the centre, they bring out the baby elephant and it does some tricks like kicking a ball and putting a hat on the kids' heads, which is OK, but they also get it to balance on its trunk and things more suited to Disney's Dumbo film in my opinion - but apart from that, the whole trip was a good one.

Comments