Holiday Villa Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% higher but also costs 35% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Ko Lanta

receptionreception

Parking the bike near the restaurantParking the bike near the restaurant

view from the tableview from the table

thai girl dancingthai girl dancing

Ko Lanta to Ko Samui

by Phil_Weaver

In April this year we want to travel from Ko Lanta to Ko Samui with two children (both under 10). Has anyone any experience of making this trip?

I know it is possible to fly from Phuket to Samui but we would prefer to travel overland and by ferry to see a little more of the country. There appear to be plenty of options to do this but any advice will be gratefully received!

RE: Ko Lanta to Ko Samui

by xtrimmo

you can take a boat to krabi and then a mini van to surathani from where the ferries leave for samui. you can also take a minivan from koh lanta to surathani. as anywhere in thailand, your hotel/resort/bungalow will help you make all travel arrangements. not to fear, they are organized, helpfull and inexpensive. how ever, maybe you want to skip samui and hang out in koh lanta or krabi, things on samui have deteriorated a lot ever since the tsunami hit. be carefull if you go anyways.
have fun

by Phil_Weaver

Thanks for the quick reply Immo! - approximately how long will the journey take?

Regards

Phil

RE: RE: RE: Ko Lanta to Ko Samui

Regards

Phil

by xtrimmo

you can do the trip from koh lanta to samui in less than 12 hours if you take a mini van. leave as early as you can, that way any delays will not throw a spanner in the works. getting around in thailand is extremely easy, fast and convenient and arrangements are best made on the spot. the more flexible you are and the less advance plannin and booking you do, the better. reason number one: places, hotels and beaches always look different in reality then in the brochures and on the internet (does the word photoshop ring a bell?)
have a great trip, i know you will.
immo

Thanks again Immo!!

Travel Tips for Ko Lanta

Beautiful views

by gabyne

On our way round the island by motorbike we came along this rice field with this small hut in the middle. It looked so beautiful...

It is located on the road from the west coast to the east coast, right through the island (there should be just this one road).

Local cordiments to heighten your eating pleasure

by jenniferchin

4 accompaniments to your local meals to enhance your eating sensations :-)

Starting from top, moving in clockwise direction :

1) Dried chillie flakes ~ be careful, it can be really spicy !
2) Fresh birds eye chillies in fish sauce ~ be EXTRA careful, fresh cut chilles are extremely spicy (only for the crazy !)
3) Sugar ~ to cut down the spiceness, I think.
4) Fresh green chillies in sweeten vinegar ~ this is not too spicy. Its my favourite !!

Jennifer's Ko Lanta

by jenniferchin

"Back in Lanta !"

December 2009

When I decided to return to Thailand this time around, I knew I had to return to Lanta.
But this time, things were a little different.
Decided to explore Lanta proper
Found some incredible beaches off the beaten track
Spent some time in the national park
Finally went to the Hammock House and bought some hammocks

Its still wonderfully chilled here :))

Til my next trip ...

December 2005
Lanta did not let me down ... yes, she was a little more crowded than before .. but her charm and smile is definitely there :-)

Summary of trip
This time I was with Kay, Sharon and Mei Ling. We met up with Anna, Leah, Phil and Iss and had a fantastic time there ! The hour long boat ride from Phi Phi island was much anticipated by me .... trying to see if I can remember my way there (hahaha !!). Our first night was somewhere very far away and on a beach filled with jagged wicked rocks. The next night onwards, we settled into a quaint family-run establishment, at the end of Phra Ae beach. It was then 4 days of bliss and fun - filled with sleeping in hammocks, enjoying the sunsets, making new friends, eating yummy local thai food and oggling at cute guy(s) :-))

There is something wonderful about sharing something you love with like-minded people. For me, it was introducing Ko Lanta to my fellow-travellers whom I interact on a regular basis and letting them see how beautiful it is. So, I must say that I am very grateful to MeiLing, Sharon and Kay for coming along with me on this trip :-) The experiences, good and not-so-good are always treasure and remembered, and will always spur me to keep on coming here.

My meeting with Anna was so cool .. we have been friends for so long here on VT and been planning to meet oh since forever. This time, the stars were aligned and we finally met :-) I totally adored the anticipation of meeting, the frequent exchange of crazy emails and sms-es ("Where are you ? We are in Lanta already waaaaaaaaaa !!!"). Both Anna and Leah are such cool gals !! Hope to meet with them again soon :-)

Ahhh .. Phil_uk_net ... one of my earliest friends in VT. A totally gentleman with a wicked sense of humour, I am always hoping to catch him whenever I pass by Hat Yai or on my way to an island in the south. This time, he was there with his partner, Iss, and joined us all in our crazy sessions :-) Oh gawd, I hope we did not shock you too much, Phil ! :-p

December 2003
Life here is just so laid back and relaxing. I was here for 4 nights. Ushered in new year's here.

29 December 2004
I was here exactly a year ago. So many events have happened since. The worst being the tragedy that awashed South and South East Asian countries. I worry about the kind and welcoming people in Lanta I met then. I don't know. I hope they are alright.

Some good news ! Read some positive news about the state of Ko Lanta after the tsunami. Apparently its not too shooked up !! Am glad and smiling abit now :-) -11 January 2005-

Comments