Mook Lanta Boutique Resort & Spa

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 91% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Ko Lanta

Departure LoungeDeparture Lounge

the lower hut is the Barthe lower hut is the Bar

The BayThe Bay

Yeah.. thats the way.. I Like it! OUCHYeah.. thats the way.. I Like it! OUCH

Ko Lanta Situation

by rvl

I am trying to find more information about the situation on Relax Bay and more specific the company called Omnitrips. They are located on the beach in Lanta and I have been trying to find Bjorn, who owns this operation. Cellphones are either not working or lost but problem is finding good information about Lanta.

I would really appreciate if somebody could give me some news about the situation on Lanta and I would be even more happy with news on Bjorn Moller from Omnitrips.

Thanks very very much

All my thoughts and prayers go out to everybody in the affected countries. May you have all the strength you need.

Best regards

by tentbird

Although i dont have any specific information, i came across personal reports from people who were on lanta at the time of the tsunami. check out their web pages for photos and accounts:
www.mytripjournal.com/chan

According to these it appears to have suffered less than most of the other affected areas. i hope this helps in some way

by Adamis

hi ralph,

A friend of mine and her family run a beach resort on ko lanta "Lanta Long Beach". Its situated on Long Beach. i just got the following email from her. I know its not much but hopefully some help :

Me and my sister's and brother stayed in Canada this Christmas, but my mother was on the beach when the tsunami hit. I have not been able to talk with her yet but have people in Thailand who I can contact. she is in the hospital with a broken leg, but not much more than that. we are really lucky because Thailand was not hit as badly as most of the other countries. what I have heard from people on the island is that the tourism industry will probably never recover, many people became instantly bankrupt, with no possibility to come out of it. Although, I have also heard that on Lanta there are still some bungalows standing, including my mum's and Richards place too, but every single beach bar on the island is gone. People are still in a state of shock and it is hard to fully understand how bad the damage is. I think that the government is keeping the death toll lower than the reality so as to avoid bad PR. I guess time will be the revelator. Thank for your concern, keep in touch.

by rvl

Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.

by rvl

Thanks for your help. Really appreciated

by Charl8

Hey Ralph!

I am also keeping an eye out for Bjorn, but haven't heard or seen anything. If you hear anything, please let me know. LGustafsso@yahoo.com

/Lotta

by Charl8

Hi again Ralph!

Bjorn is fine. I just received a message from a co-worker of his who let me know that Bjorn is working hard in the Phuket area, trying to help the Swedish community.

/Lotta

by mike67

I saw some website quite useful about Ko Lanta Tsunami, check it out at

Mike

Dear Lotta,

Thanks very much. Really appreciate the good news.

regards

Travel Tips for Ko Lanta

a slow and controlled dance

by willy_wonka

this beautiful little girl was dressed in traditional costume, and did a dance. she was just so adorable, and beautiful! she danced with such poise and grace, and her performance was very controlled. the thai dance was done very slowly and methodically, with graceful flowing moves. balancing on one leg, this girl wouldn't even wobble, such control she had! the music in the background was lovely as well.

the thais are a peaceful calm lot, and this is reflected in this beautiful traditional dance!

we then also saw fire twirling, another popular past time on the beach! as the sun sets all along the beach you'll see glowing fire, twirling through the darkness. young and old, they do it! one of the local guys at our 'resort' was teaching a young italian guy how to do it. i had a go, without fire.... luckily without fire! because i kept hitting myself, including my culo one time! lol

Catch at least one Beautiful sunset...

by beaniezotzim

make it a point while you are here to see a beautiful sunset. We usually wound up eating dinner right about that time so we made it a point to eat out in the sand and watch the sun go down. I love the silhouette that the long tail boats made against the sunset...

This was my favorite part of ko lanta

Why Ko Lanta ?

by jenniferchin

"A walk on the wild side ...."

I was faced with some tough decisions to make ~ I had come over to Phuket and have absolutely no idea where to base myself. All I know is that I did not want to spend my entire time in Phuket !

In the ferry from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi, I came across a whole load of young very rowdy holidaymakers (as oppose to travelers). After evesdropping a little, I found out that they are going to board over at Ko Phi Phi. Asking about the people working on the ferry, I found out that I could actually make it to another island, Ko Lanta ~ its just another hour or so of boatride ... anything to get away from the rowdy crowd, I instantly agreed.

Here is the thing ~ I have not really read up enough about Ko Lanta during my planning stage but Rough Guide convinced me that its not too bad of an island. Plus, Rolf (VTer R.Dettmann) told me that it was a glorious place .. wonderful for diving and relatively quiet. But, too much planning is not good ~ so, I hopped on the ferry to Ko Lanta !

"Impressions of Ko Lanta"

I was very surprised with Ko Lanta. I thought it would be really quiet, just like Ko Libong which I was on a few weeks ago. Man, I was wrong !

Saladan, the main town on the island, is a hive of activity. There are only a few streets but they are filled with shops ~ restaurants, dive shops, retail outlets, bars (!!) and a local market. Lots of tourists milling about on the (dusty) streets and on motorcycles.

The condition of the roads here are not that good. Nearer to the town area, the roads are tarred but furhter on, its all dirt road. Also, lots of signs along the road, proclaiming where the latest and bestest (is there such a word ??) parties are.

However, I also did manage to find some really (surprisingly) cheap places to stay. And did things which I've planned to do - visit Ko Jum and go for sea kayaking :-)

The best thing about this trip was meeting the people. Going to a totally foreign place without knowing anyone there before hand is such an exciting venture for me. The people there are really varied ~ the good, the bad and the ugly. I realise that not everything is pink and rosy, and there's a good and bad side to everything. One just has to deal with it as it comes, thats all. I totally adore the sheer anonimity and the fact that I can do anything I want whenever I want. Traveling is such an amazing life journey :-)

Comments