Ko Lanta Yai Hotels

Our Members Say

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ancient Realm Resort & Spa: Ancient Realm Resort & Spa

While we were staying at Kaw Kwang Resort we went & checked out the rooms at Ancient Realm Resort for a friend, we decided to check in for a couple of nights as there were signs up out the front for a promotion on rooms for 599baht. Well I don’t know what that was about but the rooms were all 800, 900 or 1000baht.

We took room 2307 in the middle & it was 900baht. I have since found out the promotion had finished but the signs had not been removed.

All the rooms have lots of extras e.g. - free wifi, breakfast, cheap minibar, umbrellas, torches, universal multi adaptor boards, liquid soap, shampoo, torch, inside clothes airier, DVD player, satellite & cable TV, (about 65 channels including Australian Network) tea/coffee making facilities, in room safe, day beds, air con etc, oh and even hair dryers!!!

The massage area was quite nice & I have no doubts it would look even prettier in high season, but the green water around the outside did not look to good. However I really enjoyed my 90 minute aromatherapy massage here, it cost just under 600 baht and was well worth it. Probably my only complaint re the spa area is not to let the staff have a small child in there chatting away while someone is having a massage.

Dinner that night at the hotel was very nice, Gary ordered Beef Hotplate (or hot pot) and asked for Phet Mac Mac - very spicy. He got chicken and no spice but it was still pretty tasty!! My fish was delicious but hated the frozen crinkle cut chips.

We had a fantastic night at the bar and it was the night of the king tides, water came in everywhere but not enough to ruin everyone’s fun.

By day two though we were wishing we had not left Kaw Kwang Resort, I don’t want to sound like I am rubbishing Ancient Realm because I am not. It is a very cute quaint place but I feel like it is more suitable for younger people.

For us at 7am in the morning it was noisy, we could hear someone in the bungalow behind us walking around in their room, it sounded like they had big heavy shoes on. The shower room I thought was so lovely in the beginning turned out to be a pain for us oldies. Very hard on the feet getting up and down those steps. Plus I don’t like hearing other people in their bathrooms.

Our water pressure for the shower was just a slow trickle, I let reception know but after 2 hours no one came so Gary ran around the shower catching the droplets.

We missed not having chairs in the room to sit on, plus the curtains do not block out any light whatsoever. There is no shade in your little yard to sit under; maybe umbrellas over the outdoor settings would be nice as not everyone wants to fry in the sun.

Plus the beach at the northern end of Klong Dao beach is much nicer & suitable for swimming during low season.

Please don’t think we hate Ancient Realm as we don’t, like I said it just did not suit us, but I can see why so many people would love it there as it such a quaint pretty place. We will definitely come back to Ancient Realm for dinner and drinks at their lovely bar. Gary said that their hamburgers are the best he has had in Thailand!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 11, 2011

Ancient Realm Resort & Spa Koh Lanta

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kaw Kwang Beach Resort: Kaw Kwang Beach Resort

We have stayed at Kaw Kwang beach Resort four times now and it is our favorite place when we visit Koh Lanta. The hotel was the very first resort to be built on Koh Lanta and has been managed by the same Thai family ever since.

The location is perfect at the northern end of Klong Dao beach which is a great beach all year round, perfect as well for children as it is sheltered .

The town of Saladan which has many lovely restaurants and is the main shopping area is also only 1.5 kilometers from Kaw Kwang Resort.

Kaw Kwang Beach Resort has seven different types of bungalows and rooms and prices vary quite a lot depending on which one you choose.

We always go to Koh Lanta in low season and have stayed in 3 different style rooms, so the following prices reflect this. We have never made a booking and just turn up!

The Kaw Kwang Modern is their most expensive room due to being much newer, the size and location as it is very close to the water, we paid 2,000baht per night which includes breakfast. We went back a few weeks later and they gave us the same room for 1800baht. This modern bungalow is huge, some of them have an extra bed in the room as well. There are lots of windows and the views laying in bed are beautiful.

The Deluxe beach front bungalows are a bit smaller but location wise are just as good, they are the first row of bungalows in front of the ocean. We paid 1300baht a night which includes breakfast, plus they put in a DVD player for us, we have stayed in these rooms twice, second time we were charged 1000baht and they are excellent value for money.

The Deluxe bungalows have also had new plumbing and bathrooms put in recently.

The hotel has a large infinity pool overlooking the beach and there are lots of beautiful open areas with gardens, lawns and trees.

The Standard room was 600baht a night, we stayed in this room for the night as the Modern Rooms needed to be made up and the Deluxe rooms were being renovated. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these rooms, they are one row back from the ocean but are the same as the Deluxe rooms, it is only the location that is different. I wanted to be close to the water & that is the only reason we moved the next day.

All the rooms have a small table & 2 chairs inside plus on the verandahs there are tables and chairs.

The restaurant at the hotel is very cheap, meals are mainly Thai and delicious!

The beach out the front is sensational and very clean, even during low season as the hotel workers clean it every day.

We love staying at Kaw Kwang Beach Resort and will no doubt be back there a few times next trip.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 11, 2011

Kaw Kwang Beach Resort

Twin Bay Resort: Twin Bay Resort

We looked at quite a few different hotels on Koh Lanta and were so disappointed with what we saw.

A lot of places were like backpacker hotels, some were quite a walk from the beach and a couple were just not worth the prices they wanted considering it was September and low season.

So we decided to look at one more hotel and if that was not any good we would leave and go on to Trang.

Lucky we made that decision as the last hotel was Twin Bay Resort and it was amazing.

Twin Bay Resort is located on Kaw Kwang Beach at the northern end of the island and behind the hotel is Klong Dao Beach so you are surrounded by 2 beautiful bays.

As soon as we walked up to reception we knew we had found the perfect place to stay.

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, the quoted price for a beach front bungalow was reduced to 2000 baht with breakfast and within minutes we were in our bungalow just metres from the water!

Twin Bay Resort has 3 pools and one is a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the beach and we spent many hours in there looking at the views and watching the locals play soccer.

Like I said before we were there in low season but everything at the hotel was still beautifully maintained, the restaurant and pool bar was also open. It was like our own private resort as there was only one other couple there at the time.

The restaurant at Twin Bay was also amazing, the food is up there with the best we have ever had anywhere, the presentation, taste, size of the meals and prices were fantastic. The chef came out to make sure everything was ok and he was such a lovely guy.

I took lots of photos of our meals and we ended up eating there a few times so I have added another page under my Restaurants section.

About midnight on our first night I woke up to the sound of water so went outside to see what was happening, it was fantastic the tide was in and we were about 20 feet from the water.

Then the next morning a man stopped and asked if we were enjoying our stay, of course I had nothing but praise and it turns out he was the General Manager and offered to upgrade us, well I said no thanks we really loved the beach bungalow we were in!

I could go on and on about the Twin Bay Resort, we loved it there and can not fault the place at all. The beach was also very protected so perfect for swimming in the crystal clear water.

We will definitely be staying there again in 2010.

• Related to: Food and Dining, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 29, 2009

• Phil_Weaver profile photo Phil_Weaver

The Narima Bungalow Resort: Idyllic surroundings

We stayed at the Narima for 8 nights in April and enjoyed every minute of the experience. The resort website (http://www.narima-lanta.com/ ) is well presented, comprehensive and accurate. Here you will find all the information you might need.

Bungalows are not luxurious but are extremely comfortable. If you must have TV or a phone in your room, this is not the place for you, but if you want to relax and unwind in idyllic surroundings, or just chill on your balcony in your hammock – look no further! Our bungalow had a double and a single bed and an unimpeded sea view at a cost of 2,700 THB (£39 sterling or $72US) including American breakfast for us both.

The proprietors, Yodchai and Nopawan are visible and regularly available in the restaurant and make a point of chatting with all their guests to make sure that everything is OK for them. They are nice people and guest satisfaction is obviously important to them.

The only negative aspect of the resort is the rather rocky beach, which is accurately shown on the website (and attached photograph). However, it is possible to swim in the warm waters of the Andaman Sea and the beautiful sunsets have to be seen to be believed.

We were a family group with some young children and the wide ranging restaurant menu provided something for everyone, from pizza and burgers through pasta to traditional Thai food, all delicious and cheerfully served by very pleasant staff.

We hope to return to Ko Lanta and the Narima one day and would thoroughly recommend it as an excellent place to stay.

Wonderful sunsets and idyllic surroundings.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written May 5, 2006
Tip Photo

View of the beach from our balcony

• Nelson-Sweden profile photo Nelson-Sweden

Costa Lanta: "Nordic design" hotel in Thailand

Exclusive and cool hotel in a clean and neat "Nordic Design"-style. Managed by three Thai-women who met while studying in US.
Did not stay here but got a good tour of the hotel and had a wonderful Christmas Eve here.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 5, 2004

• Nelson-Sweden profile photo Nelson-Sweden

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

D.R. Lanta Bay Resort: Good Family/Calm hotel

Nice, clean bungalows more or less next to the beach. Medium Size clean pool, standard restaurant with average prices. Helpful staff.

Booked through www.kolanta.net - worked perfectly. See link below for prices.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Budget Travel