Ko Lon Hotels

• Sue-Melbourne profile photo Sue-Melbourne
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cruiser Island Resort: Cruiser Island Resort - Phuket

The positives - the bungalows are air conditioned, clean and in decent shape, however half of them back the staff quarters. The staff are quite noisy in the morning so you would not have much of a chance to sleep in past 7am.

All of the bungalows have a pool view. The pool is extremely small around 8 by 4 metres hence there is no possibility to have a swim.

The negatives - quite a lot. The people at this resort have a very relaxed attitude to time. We have arranged with the resort to pick us up at Phuket airport at 7.10am for 900baht. No one was there to meet us. After 2 phone calls to the resort, a driver made an appearance at around 8.10am an hour later. We were told that he was expecting to pick up another guest, so to wait for a bit. We waited around for another half an hour and asked him when this other guest would arrive as we had already waited at the airport for 1 and a half hours. Apparently he was coming in on the 8.40am flight, so we had to wait for him to clear customs. Fuming, tired and worn down from sitting in noisy smoky phuket airport, we waited, and waited and waited. By around 9.30am it was pretty clear he was not arriving, we had made numerous phone calls to the resort requesting to be driven there to no avail. Eventually this driver asked us to pay the airport limo 500baht to drive us to the pier while he waited for the other guest, which we refused since we were already paying him. Finally at 10.10am an alternative vehicle was procured. We eventually got to our rooms around 11.30am 4 and a half hours after arrival!!

We got a welcome drink which we consumed and housekeeping omitted to clean up. The dirty glasses were still sitting on our balcony when we left 4 days later.

I would never recommend this resort. It has been a horror from the beginning to the end. For 4600baht per night, you would expect competent service. I've stayed in backpackers paying 300baht per night which have provided better experiences.

The food in the restaurant is overpriced but we were expecting that given we were on an island. However the competence of the staff was extrodinarily bad. Our first meal, we ordered satays,soup and a salad. The salad and the soup made an appereance within half an hour of each other. After 45 mins, we asked where the satays were, and they came back with a seafood platter 15mins later. When we told them we ordered satays, they took it back to the kitchen where the staff proceeded to consume it. After another half an hour of waiting, we decided to leave when the satays did not make an apperance. We also found out that the next table was waiting on a seafood platter

The next meal, I ordered breakfast, and judging that they might get it wrong, I specifically pointed to the item on the menu and repeated it twice for the waitress. She proceeded to serve me a completely different meal. I judged it better to consume than to argue.

There are only 2 scheduled boat rides to phuket per day at 10am and 5.30pm. If you wanted to leave the island on an unscheduled time, you would have to pay 300baht. I would have been happy to spend most of my time on the island, however they did not offer much facilites the pool being tiny, the beach unswimmable during low tide and no other amusements on offer, and the restaurant too frustrating to eat in.

When we were settling our bill, we found that they tried to charge us for our boat rides to phuket during the agreed scheduled hour.

On leaving, we arranged for their boat to take us to the mainland. We were assured that there were no other people to wait for hence there would be no problems getting to our flight on time. We did get picked up at the agreed time, however once on board, the boatman drove us around in circles going to other boats. When asked, apparently he had run out of petrol and had to try to get it off surrounding boats. Eventually, we had to return to the island for more petrol before actually leaving for phuket 45mins late and nearly missing our flight.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written January 2, 2007

• Tina-Perth profile photo Tina-Perth
  • Reviews: 246

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Baan Mai Resort: A modest resort

We didn't stay at this resort either, but just checked it out for a friend.

We pulled up on the beach which was uncleared of stones, coral, shells and debris, the beach was quite narrow too. We were greeted by the manager outside as he was working with some others on their boat. He directed us to a very nice lady who walked us around the resort.

It is a small resort built of wood as its name suggests (Baan - home and Mai - wood). When I say built of wood, I mean built of wood. Everything, including the wall and ceiling panelling in the rooms is wood, the airconditioner has a wood cover, wood is the theme here, no doubt about that. Unfortunately as the rooms were very small and basic, I found the wood made it feel quite closed in and a little claustrophobic for me.

I wouldn't call the gardens tropical, as they do in their brochure, but each to their own. The lawns were brown and there were a few plants around, but not many.

The unique quality here would definitely have to be the bathrooms, they are so quaint. They're built in a balinese style.

As with Cruiser Island Resort, a unique quality here is the fact that it's so secluded from modern society, not a road, not a shop to be seen, so if you think you may want a bit more choice in snacks than the mini bar or extra drinks, take your own. I'd also make sure that I had adequate personal items too, although it's only a short boat ride back to Phuket.

There was one pool at this resort.

I was a little shocked at the prices here. They range from 4,000 baht per night for the 1 room bungalows during May to October, through to 18,900 baht for the villa during December and January. What I liked best was the notice of a "Compulsory Gala Dinner" for Christmas and New Year's Eve at 3,000 baht each! They have a policy of minimum stays here too. 3 nights in high season and 5 nights in peak season.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 8, 2005
Tip Photo

A beach bungalow

• Tina-Perth profile photo Tina-Perth
  • Reviews: 246

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cruiser Island Resort: A nice retreat

We didn't stay at the resort, but since we visited the island, I asked for a tour so I could give information to a friend.

From the beach I was very unimpressed with the resort, it looked very boring, but once I got into the grounds, I thought it was rather lovely. There are no paths or concrete other than stepping stones through the rich green lawns that even surround the pool. No standing on hot paving here!

Even though inside the lower priced bungalows was fairly basic, they had everything needed and were comfortable. The nicer bungalows and family villas were actually really nice.

A comment I made to my friend who is staying at the island soon is that as there are no shops here and only the limited stock mini-bar (premium prices of course), I would take a store of snacks, alcohol and any personal items that may be needed with me.

This resort had the second bathrooms I've ever seen in Asia without any mould in the grouting. All the tiles were gleaming and everything was spotless.

The villas have no common walls and are all set away from eachother enough to prevent hearing your neighbours. There are two swimming pools, a massage centre and sauna.

There is a quaint little beachside bar as well as the larger one in the restaurant.

The beach here was kept very clean with all shells, rocks, broken glass and debris removed unlike the rest of the beach. There were plenty of beach chairs set out as well. There is a large hill behind the resort which gives it a nice feel.

Unfortunately my camera is dying and the better pictures I had taken of the beach and inner area did not work out.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average