Candle Hut Resort

Thong Nai Pan Yai (South Beach), Thailand

Satisfaction Average

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Good value bungalows.

Very good value bungalows. Rates from 500-1000 bahts. Only few a/c-rooms, but a/c isnt really needed, cause fans are very powerful and the breeze from the sea cools the weather at nights.

Most of the bungalows has a hammock on the terrace and couple of chairs.

But, NO mosquito-nets, so bring your own, if you want to sleep in peace!!!

Unique Quality: Excellent restaurant, bbq every night. Friendly staff, that speaks good english.
    Laundry service.

E-mail is only contact. Lonely Planet has their phone number, but they dont have phone any more.

The beach is very quiet, almost empty. There is one supermarket on the other end of the beach(appr.500 meters away). A place for total relax.

More about Candle Hut Resort

Good value bungalows.

by kimmo_v about Candle Hut

Most of the bungalows has a hammock on the terrace and couple of chairs.

But, NO mosquito-nets, so bring your own, if you want to sleep in peace!!! Excellent restaurant, bbq every night. Friendly staff, that speaks good english.
Laundry service.

Full Moon Party in Ko PhanganFull Moon Party in Ko Phangan

Full Moon PartyFull Moon Party

Chakulum BayChakulum Bay

A great place to relaxA great place to relax

Tong Nai Pan Yai

by Dirk64

Hi everybody,

anybody here has been recently to the Tong Nai Pan Yai Beach ? I will go there in a couple of month, and I want to now if the PingJun Bungalow is or is not under construction/renovation.

I f the PingJun is under renovation, how is beach life influenced ?

I would be very happy for any information.

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from Germany

Dirk

RE: Tong Nai Pan Yai

by Annemari

Hi, I returned last week from Thong nai pan Yai. It is under construction, but if you don't stay at their bungalows, you won't even notice.
Beach life is great! It was my first time, but I wil definitely come back again!

RE: RE: Tong Nai Pan Yai

by Dirk64

Dear Annemari,

many thanks for reply. Now my journey to Tong Nai Pan Yai is coming closer, and I am really looking forward to it. I will stay at the end of the beach at the "Candle Hut". Many thanks for your reply and all the best

Dirk

looking for nice hotels

by mrkevinclarkc

Am visiting Kophangan in July and was wondering if anyone could recommend any nice hotels/beach huts to stay in. Also is there a lot of tourist attractions to see or is it more a relaxing island?
Have one night booked in the Panviman hotel - has anyone stayed there before?
Thanks

Re: looking for nice hotels

by HAKUN

Hi,
just come back from Ko Phangan... I stayed one night in Panviman... the hotel is ok... rooms are quite good for the standards of the island... the hotel is surrounding a beautiful bay.... that offers you a great great view...
The weak point is that the access is quite long and the road very bad from the pier... and if you plan to go for full moon party it is a long long way !!!
Anyway it is a good choice if you are looking for peaceful place !
;)
Hakun

Re: looking for nice hotels

by globerover

> Also is there a lot of tourist attractions to see or is it more a relaxing island?

Tourist attractions are really rare on Ko Pha Ngan, and if you do not regard the Full Moon Party as one, only 2 or 3 spots remain that are really worth seeing ... and if the rivers don't have enough water (though unlikely in July), even the waterfalls are not worth going, so that probably only the Chinese temple remains. I think I have covered all the attractions in my page on Ko Pha Ngan.

BUT, as a relaxing island, Ko Pha Ngan is the ideal place. The beaches are quiet, many of them are really great, the restaurants are excellent (as almost everywhere in Thailand) and even the local people are much more relaxed than in Ko Samui or Phuket.

I cannot say anything about the Panviman hotel, but there are so many hotels and bungalows there, so you will certainly find a good place to stay. My personal tip is the "Candle Hut" (see in my accomodation-tips)..

Koh Phangan.... Thong Noi Pan Noi

by louloubell

I visited here in summer 2001 and loved the quiet beautiful bay. At the time they seemed to be starting to lay tarmac on the dirttrack that leads to Tong Sala. Presumably this as been finished? Can it be done on a bike now?

Also, if it now has a road; has this dramatically increased the volume of tourists?

Finally, has anyone stayed at THONG TA PONG at the north end of the bay? I think its the one with huts dotted all over the headland.
Any comments?

Re: Koh Phangan.... Thong Noi Pan Noi

by globerover

In April 2004 the last 3 or 4 kilometres of the road were still sandy and very bumpy, but they kept on working on the new surface.

We stayed at Candle Hut in Haad Thong Naay Paan, the bay next to Haa Thong Naay Paan Noy. They were both not overcrowded with tourists then, but who knows how it looks nowadays, when so many tourists change from Phuket to the islands in the gulf. Ko Samui is overcrowded at the moment, not having enough beds, the situation on Ko Pha-Ngan might be similar.

RE: Koh Phangan.... Thong Noi Pan Noi

by diego67

Hello Louloubell,
I visited TNP last year for the last time and there are still some miles of jungle road between Thongsala and Tong Nai Pan. Still only a few people over there and you won´t find big changes since your last stay.
Greetings from Frankfurt Germany

Travel Tips for Ko Phangan

Bottle Beach - piece of secluded heaven!

by kirstylm

The perfect place to go for a few days of relaxing! Its a small fairly secluded beach that you can only really access by long-tail boat. Its about 300m long, in a little bay of the island. There are a few choices for accommodation, and lots of good food served by each of them.

There are hammocks, a great beach, Thai massages, hiring of kayaks, a lovely look-out point which you can climb up to (ask the locals and take 10 baht to pay the landowner), stunning sunsets, and otherwise just a lot of relaxing, beaching, eating, and drinking that goes on! And they also organise (from Smile Bungalows) a car to take people to the half moon party up in the jungle.

From here you can kayak in an easterly direction and go and visit Twin Beaches (I think that's what its called) - a smarter and much larger version of Bottle Beach! There is a very smart resort there where you can have a drink and a swim in the pool - but note that it is quite a bit more expensive! Nice for a visit though.

THE DOLPHIN BAR

by beaniezotzim about Dolphin Bar

I enjoyed this bar on those nights when you just want to hang out with a couple of friends and RELAX. This bar totally discourages loud people. They play really mellow music like Bob Marley etc. This is another good bar to get a Bucket (explained later on in another tip with a picture) The way it is set up is pretty unique, they have these small little open "room" areas - depending on the size of group you are with, they have rooms to accomodate your group. the rooms consist of floor mats and short tables and very dimmed lighting. This is definately one of those places that stands out for me. No special requirements other than no loud noise.

Bad opportunities

by Sajt

I had some bad remember about this travel between Ko Samui and Ko Phangan to Fool Moon Party. We used speed boat, that was fun. But before that. The van was late like half an hour, after that we had to wait for the speed boat for an other half an hour. We didn't care, we had some Irish guy and we drunk together. We had fun. The next surprise was, when we had to go in the water to pick us up. There was like 1000 people around and we didn't want to wait an other half an hour to go. I had my camera with me and I had to be careful. I didn't had short pens with me, so I was totally wet after this project. Everybody was agressive. The travelling with the speed boat was fun, but when we were there they didn't put us down on the beach we had to jump deep (1,5m) in the water I almost lost my camera.

Pizza and Pasta beware!

by LakeFever about any given restaurant serving western food

Becareful.....if /when you are trying to boost your morrale or some sort of stomach ailment you think needs some good old western food watch out for the pizza or pasta.
Anyone whos been to SEA before knows how this one goes....youre starving but only for something familiar........I dont know....the pizza looks good - theyve got many varieties.....yummmy........
Pizza arrives and its a piece of dough in some state of over cooked, undercooked or even raw.
Worst part is yet to come.....take a bite.....
Wait a minute the sauce tastes funny.....did I put ketchup on this thing???/What did I order?
Low and behold the tomato sauce on the pizza in all its layered glory, is Heinz Ketchup.
Sometimes its a blend and sometimes 100% pure ketchup! Nothing to wolf down on a hungry stomach....enough just to send back and go with the fried noodles or rice.
This also applies to pasta.....nothing like the most expensive meal youve had in days going better as a side for grilled cheese. For some reason they just cant seem to make decent tomato sauces - or even at least tolerable.

NOTE: this isint for or at every place.....if you really need to eat one of these dishes best to ask around to others first.....make sure you inquire about the sauce.

Comments