Santhiya Resort & Spa

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Santhiya Resort & Spa

Wedding @ Santhiya Resort

by TripAdvisor Member nlouey

My husband and I got married last month at Santhiya Resort & Spa. We can't express how much we love this place. The service and friendlyness is the best we've ever seen and the location of Santhiya is unbeatable. It's located at the end of Thong Nai Pan beach and has it's own private beach where we were married. We were the first wedding at Santhiya and they did such an amazing job. All the staff were so accomadating and went out of their way to make sure we had a memorable and special day. Not only were the staff fantastic on the day of the wedding but they made all of our guests feel welcome everyday we were there.
We had a combination between Thai and Western wedding and we were able to chose exactly what we wanted. We had the ceremony followed by drinks by the pool then the reception in the evening, with a beautiful selection of Thai food, although western food was available if requested.
They orgainsed all transfers for our guest staying at the resort from Samui airport or anywhere on Samui.
The process of organising the wedding did take quite a few months of emailing the resort back and forth but I believe that would happen for anyone organising an overseas wedding. Every email from the wonderful Samantha were friendly and polite and always finding a way to accomadate our requests.
I would recommend Santhiya to anyone thinking of getting married in Thailand.

Really great but should pay more attention to details

by TripAdvisor Member BELLIFONTAINE

We stayed 4 nights at the Santhiya resort with our 13 y old daughter. We were transfered by speedboat from Ko Samui which was really enjoyable. We booked a Suite seaview villa which has 2 rooms and an outdoor bathroom plus a jacuzzi on the terrace.

Positive points :

- The exclusive position of the resort with its private beach is the really great ;
- The unique architecture of the resort and the view from the villas are memorable ;
- The lagoon pool is to die for, never seen such a pool in orther resorts in Thailand.
- Enough sunloungers were provided as well as beach towels and lunch and snacks service by the pool ;
- Excellent buffet breakfast ;
- Good restaurants (but pricey), excellent service with good english speaking staff.
- Excellent SPA but staff does not speak english !

Negative points :

- It is a quiet expensive resort even in low season. Despite our reservation was for a Suite seaview villa, we asked to change room after the first evening because the view was obstructred by folliage and we were too close from the kitchen restaurant (noise..), our second villa was almost on the top of the hill, far away from reception, pool, beach, and restaurants (you have to call the buggy each time you want to go somewhere in the resort) ;
- I had emailed the resort asking for extra bed to be done on arrival for our daughter. I got promptly replied positively to my enquiry. But on arrival I had to call reception twice before it was done.
- There is no Wifi internet connection from the villas but only from the main restaurant and the lobby. I think that for a resort of this standard Wifi must be accessible from all villas.
- On check out , receptionist made a mistake on our bill about transfert cost. I told her about it and she would not correct it until I showed her their printed email stating their rates and policies for transfers. I don't think her attitude was professional.

Anyway despite these negative points, we'll be happy to go back to the Santhiya again.

Overrated, poor service, a big disappointment!

by TripAdvisor Member SkyTripper08

We booked our stay with Santhiya based on the overall positive reviews from this site, but were greatly disappointed upon check-in. They basically mislead us regarding transportation means and cost, and refused to make amends.

We had an 8am flight to catch from Koh Samui on the last day, so I called when I was booking this resort, to make sure that transportation by speed boat was available for us to get to the airport on time. the concierge lady ensured us there was no problem apart from the fact that we would have to wake up extra early. Upon arrival, we were told instead that public transportation was infact not available and that the only way was to take Santhiya's speedboat and pay a hefty 12,000 baht (when normally they only charge 1500 baht per person). If we had known this, we would not have booked this resort when transportation is costing more than 1 night's stay.

The staff were not helpful and shifted the blame, when clearly it was their own staff's fault for giving out misleading information. Given they have their own speedboat, they could have reduced the ridiculous cost of 12,000 baht, but they refused to, given that we had no other option.

The resort itself is in a nice location with a beautiful private beach, but the villas were too rustic and the outdoor bathroom became a nightmare when the weather took a turn. Having to go around the hilly resort in a buggie every time we wanted to step outside of the villa was also inconvenient.

Overall, I would not recommend this resort for obvious reasons. If they can't be responsible for the information that they convey to their guests, what more can you count on them for?

Lots of Potential

by TripAdvisor Member Chuck4410

Santhiya is a beautiful resort. Most of the rooms are spacious individual bungalows. The staff is extremely nice and very attentive.

We arrived by the Santhiya speedboat that, while expensive, is worth it. Your other option is to take ferries and harrowing overland crossings in the rear of a pickup truck which is not exactly pleasant.

However, there were a few problems we encountered here during our recent stay. When we arrived, the first room we were shown was very nice, but didn’t come close to resembling the “Seaview Suite” depicted in their marketing materials. The view was severely obstructed by overgrown plants (the should just trim them). I am not the type who complains at hotels, but the fact that I was paying $500 US per night for this room compelled me to say something. The staff was very nice and immediately came to pick us up from our room and showed us 4 alternative bungalows to choose from. However, none of them had what I would describe as a “seaview” compared to the pictures from the website. This probably sounds like I am the worst hotel guest ever, but I really felt a bit cheated.

We then spoke to one of the managers who offered us the Supreme Deluxe room, specially designed for honeymooners. And let me tell you, this was one hell of a room. I’m pretty sure it occupied the space of 4 regular size rooms in their larger complex high up on the hill. There was a huge boulder lodged in the center positioned next to a beautiful bathtub. The room also featured a balcony with tables and chairs and multiple floor levels within the unit. Huge windows afforded spectacular views on Thong Nai Pan beach and the bay. We could not have been happier as this was one of the coolest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.

Everything was great until we returned home from some beach excursions to find the property being doused in anti-mosquito fumigation smoke. We were told to wait ten minutes for the smoke to clear before going back to our room. Once the smoke was gone, we went back to the room only to find that the smoke had actually come inside the room and was everywhere. You could see it swirling around the lights and the smell was noxious. As all the doors and windows had been closed when we left in the morning, I did some investigating and figured out that the smoke was coming from cracks in the cinderblock underneath the sink. So basically, mosquito poison was pouring into our room from underneath the sink and making it completely uninhabitable. We called the manager, and he brought some staff who opened the doors and paced around the room for a good 30 minutes while my girlfriend and I stood on the porch watching. Once the smoke had more or less dissipated, the manager asked us “Is it okay now?”. This was not the question I wanted to be asked, as I had just been forced out of my $500 room because it was filled with poison. The appropriate response from a five star operation would have been “What can we do for you, the room is free for you tonight”, or at the very least “your dinner this evening will be taken care of”. But instead, the manager came back later and told me that he spoke to his engineers and they determined “it is not possible that smoke was coming from under the sink, you must have left the door open. We can’t offer you anything”. Essentially, they were now calling me (the customer) a liar and were not giving us anything in response to the poisoning of our room. This is NOT five star service any way you look at it.

Overall Santhiya is a great resort. The food is nice, the staff is great and the location is beautiful. The resort has a lot of potential. But the upper level management really needs to learn how to deal with problems better as this was a pretty serious slip up on their part.

Calling all honeymooners!! (and all romantics in between)

by TripAdvisor Member LondonPinkLady

I have just returned from a 6 night stay at Santhia resort, booked by my now husband for our honeymoon.

I can't recommend Ko Phangan and this particular resort enough- it's absolutely beautiful and the level of detail and decoration really are quite spectacular. We had a seaview room with gorgeous view of the sea and beaches. The room itself was a joy- especially the outdoor bathroom and the HUGE bed. I too fully appreciated the oil burner...so much that I bought one!

The pool was spectacular with a waterfall and plenty of smaller pools to cool off in.

The 2 restauarants in the resort are definately worth a visit- the breakfast buffet was sooo good! . The western food at lunch and dinner was lovely too and worth the higher cost- however I preferred the Thai food on the next beach along- and indeed the price was much lower.

I found the satff very friendly and helpful. There was a langage barrier with some of the employees but it was clear from day one that they were dedicated in making this a perfect holiday for all guests and I think they did the resort proud.

Granted we were very lucky with the weather- we just about had 7 clear days of sun, with thunderstorms only occuring infrequently and at night. We married in Sept and waited until now to visit Thailand as the rainy season was just about over- I'd recommend doing the same if possible as I imagine the island- (especially the transportation )would get quite frustrating if it poured down every day!

Re. the taxis- don't use the ones from the hotel. Taxis from the next beach along are half the price if not less. That however would be my only gripe as this really was the most wonderful place I have ever visited- absolute paradise.

Beautiful Hotel as long as you get a really good rate.!

by TripAdvisor Member livinginmoscowuk

I read the other reviews before I booked and to be honest I was hesitant to book as the hotel was alot more expensive than the other hotels on the Island. We had a fabulous time and the hotel was magical. It is well worth booking the speed boat transfer from Koh Samui directly to the hotel for 2,000 BHT per person as people were saying the land transfer was bad but in fairness it is a remote island with no proper roads. The welcome reception we recieved was fantastic and we felt very VIP. We booked a Seaview villa which was STUNNING the bathrooms are fabulous.I loved the resort style as it was very Thai and also very natural with nature. The staff were extremely friendly,helpful and we found the service excellant, The resort is very hilly and I was 6 months pregnant however they will collect you in a buggy to get around the resort so it was not problem. The weakest feature I felt was the beach which was steep and had some litter on it. It is only a small beach and I felt they good have groomed it more. Howver if you turn left on the beach you can climb over the rocks to the main beach which is gorgeous and has loads of lovely restuarants (as the other comments are fair the food in the hotel is pretty awful in comparison and not 5*) The other small fault I felt were example you have to pay for the Kayaks and if you wanted to use the hotel transfer to the village you were charged which is not very 5* for me.Overall a beautiful hotel if you can get a good rate, having worked in hotels/travel industry for years I would love to go and work there as the property is fabulous but the small things could make it a truelly 5* hotel.!

Not at all care for littel ones also !!!

by TripAdvisor Member t.sweet

We came from Bangkok to koh samui, once we arrived there were someone waiting for use for a pick up. He took us to the place where we shouls take the speed boat and we were there so tired with two small children and he said to wait for 4 HOURS so that he can take use to the rsort !!!! WE WERE SHOCKD!!!! ony 1 hour travel form BKG and wait for hours to go into speed boat. He said maybe other guests are coming BUT who cares WE are Tired Guests !!! anyway with his very poor englisg we moved on and had no other choice !!!!

It tooks around 40 min to arrived, once we arrived, there were a huge a warm welcom with fresh cocounts juice. Still comunication in the hotel was poor english.

We had Grand Villa nice but as mentioned in other posts there were many incsents and the room were not that much clean.

water activities are limited.

Food is wondrfull cant say a word about it with all staff smiles around you.

NO CHILDRN FACILITES AT ALL !!!! Which was very diffcult for both of us. A small box of toys in a room next to the lobby but when we open the box it was very dirty with all dead inscets NO ANY HAYGIN at all. Had to call them to was the box and i and the kids end up cleaning the toys with dettol tissues.

I ask if they have any colors for children to paint and they were like smilling then hey offer me highlighters!!!!

Spa is okey .

A trip to the town was HORRIBLE with the roads be a ware of that.

I would only recommand this hotel for honeymooners and family with big kids !!

I was just thinking when i will be back to bangkok !!!

Wii post some pictures soon as i am at the moment using the laptop at the lobby. No internet in the rooms and no bus center.

Amazing place!!!!! Total Luxury!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Claireg800

Beautiful.....Luxury......Amazing.......!!!

What else can i say. This place is not cheap but it is worth every penny. You get a 10 min free massage on arrival (never a bad thing). The gounds are so natural you feel like you are in the jungle hills. You get chauffered around in golf buggies from the beach to the restaurant to your room.....just buzz and they are there.

The private beach is nice if a little stoney in the water but the main beach (which is gorgeous) is only a very short walk away.

The pool area is magnificent. The service is a little over the top but some people like that kind of thing I guess.

TIP: They have their own speedboat and for a very reasonable 1000 BHT pp they will collect you from Ko Samui and in 40 mins you will be at the resort. Couldn't be easier.

Breakfast buffet is delicious and the view is just breathtaking.....

The rooms are beautiful. We had an outdoor bathroom (which I just loved) and a bathtub on the verandah.

A really special place. Would 100% go back.

Great place and surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member Mi25B

We- my husband , daughter and I were there over the 1st of May weekend. On arrival we were served these yummy chilled fresh coconuts and a surprise massage which was for 5 min. Though short it was required after the fantastic speed boat ride from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan.

We had a pool villa and I think it was one of the best locations in the resort with the view absolutely spectacular.The people there were very friendly though sometimes communicating with room service could be tricky:)
The entire property of the resort has great foliage and landscaping. The insects are plenty but then, the place is kept clean so that did not bother us much.
What I feel has scope to improve is the food...The restaurant serves a good variety of different cuisines but the food quality is average.Breakfast had a decent spread and was fresh.

Overall, we had a relaxed weekend and have returned with great memories and will surely recommend this place to our friends.

Santhiya Resort & Spa, Koh Phangan

by Girlwander

"Wandering in Koh Phangan..."

Koh Phangan is an island neighboring the famous Koh Samui. It fairly shares the same fame as Phuket being " the most bodacious island for tourism this side of Thailand", Koh Samui on the other hand enjoys a piece of that popularity being mentioned in some hollywood flick's as a perfect setting to be in an island paradise! Tho' Koh Phangan may not be as famous as "Koh Phuket" or "Koh Samui", Koh a Thai word which means island, Koh Phangan infact is actually a nicer, quieter and more private island than the 1st mentioned 2...well if your the type who appreciates some peace and quiet who wants to get away from it all especially the tourist chaos you may actually find in this place what your looking for?

"Santhiya 2008 New Year Countdown"

The program culminated smoothly and ended memorably as guests patiently waited for their Lanterns to float in the dark glittery sky of 2008. This part of program gave guests the chance to write down and send off their New Year’s wishes and resolutions through The Santhiya Traditional Hot-air Lantern release. Indeed, a momentous event for all guests because it made each one share a spiritual side. The floating of the illuminated lanterns amidst the dark sky is a beautiful sight and an awesome experience not to be missed its like being in a fantasy world. It felt almost as if watching a scene from the Harry Potter Movie, the sight of floating lanterns looks magical and it’s almost comparable to the floating candles of Hogwarts. Some guests may have felt emotional or perhaps teary-eyed to this very moving moment when the night becomes quiet and intimate with family and love one’s around.

"Giant swimming pool & waterfalls..."

It whats great to actually find a resort that offers facilities cut above the rest in an under developed island!

Sahthiya in Ko Phangan or Santiburi in Koh Samui for honeymoon?

by sonalishenoy

Hello All, This is my first time posting on this forum. I hope to get some feedback about these 2 resorts. I am planning my honeymoon in Thailand and wanted to know which of these 2 Resorts are more luxurious. I am looking for a quiet romantic 7 day trip. I looked through the pictures for both resorts and I love the vibes I am getting from Santhiya. Fro several reviews I gathered that Santiburi is also really great but I feel the rooms in Santhiya or Melati are much bigger and many have attached private pools. Whic of the 3 resorts would you recomend for an ultimate honeymoon getaway?

Santhiya