Moo 7, Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand

Phi Phi island by boatPhi Phi island by boat

The cave in Phi Phi LeThe cave in Phi Phi Le

Sunset - Phi Phi DonSunset - Phi Phi Don

Picturesque beach on Phi Phi Don islandPicturesque beach on Phi Phi Don island

Catching a ferry to Phi Phi - where to arrive & buy tickets...

by Kim1170

Just need a bit of clarification...Is Rassada pier right in Phuket town? If so, can we take a mini bus from the airport into town and walk to the pier or is it better to take a taxi and go directly to the pier (trying to stay on a budget)? Is it better to book my ferry tickets in advance or should we just buy them when we get to the pier? We will be arriving mid-December. Thanks!

Re: Catching a ferry to Phi Phi - where to arrive & buy tickets...

by seagypsy

Hi Kim,
I was hoping someone with more recent experience than myself would answer your questions but until, they do, I'll answer what I've experienced, since it's been quite a few years since I've been to Phuket. Phuket-town is inland and to the west of the Rassada Pier. I've only bought my Phi Phi tickets in town and since mid-Dec. is high season, it's probably better to get your ferry tickets prior to showing up in case it's sold out. The last time I went, there was a van transfer included with the price of the ticket with a pickup from my hotel but I don't know if this is still the case.
Again, hopefully someone else with more recent experience will chime in.

Re: Catching a ferry to Phi Phi - where to arrive & buy tickets...

by NinaPhuket

Hi, I live in Phuket 7 years and I think maybe I can give you some advice about transport and I guess you want to go Phi Phi island start from when you arrive Phuket airport. Normally, from Phuket airport to Rassada Harbour you can go by shuttle bus (van) for high season I'm sure you can ask at taxi desk service I'm not sure for the rate when I used last time to Phuket town only 100 Thai Baht, but the ferry start to go Phi Phi island in the morning (start from 8.00 - 8.30 am.) and if you don't buy ticket in advance you have to go at the harbour about 7 am. for buying the ticket at the harbour and wait your ferry. If you plan to stay in Phuket before go Phi Phi island and you plan to stay overnight at Phi Phi island I suggest you to buy tour package include accomodation will be better than you pay for taxi and transport by ferry and then pay for accomodation because this transport and accomodation inclusive whole package, I check many accomodations for my friends their room rates are higher than last year.

If you need more information or any help you can contact me direct my email nina.th@hotmail.com

Travel Tips for Ko Phi Phi Don

Thai Immigration

by MikeAtSea

Entry into Thailand is relativley easy. Almost every nationality obtains a visa for 30 days at the point of entry. Only a hand full of nationalities require a visa to enter the Kingdom. The 30 day visa however is very difficult to extend once in Thailand. The visa run – as people call it who wish to stay longer, means to return to the border and re-enter Thailand for another 30 days. Tourist visas issued at a Thai Embassy are valid for two months and can be extended once within the country.

Swimming with Leopard Sharks

by joyful_sun

I never imagined encountering sooo many leopards sharks in one liveaboard dive trip. The Leopard sharks of Phiphi are mostly residents to a particular dive spot so they are almost always there. And what's so nice about them is they swim around ever sooo slowly. They're not afraid of divers, they are very tolerant and don't dart out into the abyss at 100kph. Thus you get to swim with them up close. Sometimes they just swim directly at you and you just have to let them pass. If they're not swimming around, you can see them on the sandy bottom resting or napping.

Under Sea Tin Mining

by SLLiew

While travelling between Phuket Town and Ko Phi Phi by boat or ferry, you can see underwater tin mining dredges.

While most tin mining in Southern Thailand and in Malaysia is alluvial soil along rivers, this is unique that mining of tin in under the ocean waves.

So worth taking note and a photo for me.

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 3

by hash09

To beak a silent, then he ask me, why i am there alone without a friends, so i told him that sadness bring me to phuket and to phi phi, i came witout a friends because, i dont need friends to have fun, they just a knife for me who likes to stap me from the back.. kills me slowly, then he just nodded his head and understand what i mean. then he ask me about boyfriends (special) i said i did not meet anyone special so far, then he reply with shock face, how come a beautiful girl like you dont have a boyfriends.. so i told him, doesn't mean someone who are beautiful can have everything they want... or they supposed to be happy and such... i told him, the honesty that i look for in someone, their humounity, loving, caring and rinsponsible... he totally agree about it (im happy he agree about it).

Hassel free diving - Viking Divers

by grahamopey

Viking divers is a small company with it's own boat operating out of koh phi phi.
Although it specialises in the nearby islands they can also organise live aboard trips.

I have so far done two 'discover scuba diving' trips without yet taking the full course and Viking were definately the better by a long way (versus scandinavian divers on krata beach phuket).

The staff are friendly and provide excellent one to one tuition, whats more they aren't out in the streets of phi-phi constantly asking 'would you like to go diving tomorrow?'. They keep it small, intimate and ultimately safer.

My experience of scuba is far from great (or even fair) but in my book they come highly reccomended.

Comments