3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• tranceperent's Profile Photo

amazing sea view

this one has been the best deal i have ever come across.
    i paid 10,000bahts = 200us$ for 4 nights with breakfast
    i didnt even prebook it, just walked in and they gave me a discount. i think everyone should try that.
    amazing pool and good staff. closest to the beach you can ever imagine

Unique Quality: friendly staff and good breakfast

Directions: once you reach the main pier, just go left. its less than 50m away

• K1W1's Profile Photo

Phi Phi's original resort

I have to write a little here about the Cabana. It was severely damaged by the tsunami in '04 which washed out the entire ground floor. However the 3rd floor and much of the 2nd floor escaped the damage from the wave, and saved many peoples lives.
    Until late 2005, the Cabana operated on a skeleton staff and took a few tourists on the 3rd floor. They also helped out the volunteers by providing some fantastic accomodation at very reduced rates. However the service provided was always friendly and faultless.
    Restoration caused the closure of the resort in October, and I would love to be able to return to see the new Cabana one day.

To the staff at Cabana over 2005, Thank you very much.

PS:
    I'm very happy to report that as of my 2007 visit, that the Cabana is again open and looking great. Some of the 2005 smiles are still here, which is great.

Directions: Turn left as you exit the pier on Phi Phi Don

• Sharon's Profile Photo

Lovely relaxing place

One of the nicest hotels on this small island.
    I've spent there a week and i made a reservation before leaving Phuket towards the Island. while you're there you can even get a discount if you stay for more then a few days.
    They have a lovely rooms, most of them have lovely view as its anyway between one beach to another, the stracture of the Island is such one that leaves you no way but to see the beautiful green water ! so its great.
    Just one thing... somedays they stop the water in the rooms for an afternoon break... so get use to that and dont count on your shower in those hours...

Unique Quality: Location, nice rooms, lovely swimming pool and beache. Well everything i guess.

More about Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel

Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel (a...

by Sharon

Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel (a view from my room on the pool and the other side of the hotel)
I paid between 30 - 40 USD, depends on the season and how many days you stay

Phi Phi's worst luxury Hotel!

by stressedatwork about Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel

Over priced - we paid for a luxury 4* hotel bungalow which was dirty, no air con, broken shower, big gaps in wooden walls, ancient fan, tiny space no mossie net. When I complained the hotel manager shrugged her shoulders and wouldn't help. It took 5 complanits before they finally moved us to a slightly newer bungalow which was still tiny with no facilities just cleaner! The breakfast in the hotel was ok but not much continental choice and the pool was nice but stuffed with chemicals! Good for hob nobbing with the boating brigade if thats what you're into- personally I was cringing at them and trying to avoid them! :o)
Good location but thats it. Everything else is negative!

A bit tired, and in need of professional management

by TripAdvisor Member tony10014

The Phi Phi Island Cabana is probably the most luxurious hotel on Phi Phi. It straddles the island and is about 20 metres from the boat dock. Accommodation is in three storey buildings grouped round a pool. The pool is large, but the overall impression of the complex is of an awful lot of concrete. Externally, the acrchitecture reminds me of nothing so much as 1960s public housing. The rooms are fine - the decor is a bit dated, but you do get a nice view of the beach.

The place was flooded during the tsunami and was closed for quite a while. There are still areas that seem to be awaiting repair. But what the hotel really lacks is professional management - there are a lot of staff, who are perfectly friendly, but who don't seem to do very much. So the public areas area bit dirty, poolside food doesn't get cleared away, there were cracked tiles in our bathroom, and so on.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing - eggs, a limited range of fruit, some cooked dishes, and some rather unappetizing looking bread. I guess catering on Phi Phi can't be easy, so one shouldn't be too hard on them. The restaurant atmsophere is a bit "factory canteen," albeit with a super view. The poolside food was quite good, albeit with a lengthy wait.

Bad service

by TripAdvisor Member Tereessaa

We visited phi phi cabana hotel beginnings of March.
They gave us a room that smell like *** (it was terrible) and the sheets were not clean. But after they gave us another room.
The stuff was not polite and they didnt even smiled.
At the front desk nobody said hello and it looks like the hotel needs a better managment.
The breakfast was ok, but it had a lot of flies in the restaurant.

The phi phi island is incredible very nice place to visit and the view of the hotel is breathtaking, one of the best in the island.

Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member GerMcManus

My girlfriend and I just returned from our trip to Thailand, during which we stayed at the Phi Phi Cabana for 6 nights. I had my concerns staying there from the reviews I had read, however I am happy to report that my stay was a very pleasant one. My girlfriend has higher standards on hotels than even me, and she really liked this place!!!

The resort is in the best location and is without doubt the best hotel in Ton Sai. We stayed in room2206, which had amazing views over the lagoon and pool area. On checking in, we did not get the level of customer service or welcome you would expect, however, I have to say, from that moment on, all staff were very helpful, courteous and smiling towards us.

Our room was very nice, the AC was excellent, the room was very clean, the bathroom was a bit on the small side, but clean. The only down side was that tap and shower water was very salty.

The grounds of the resort are ok, the pool area is nice, but besides that, things are basic, the gym is terrible. BUT, we spent little or no time around the hotel, we used the pool, but besides being in our room, by the pool or eating breakfast, we were never at the hotel!

I am very familiar with Phi Phi, and the Cabana is the best Ton Sai has to offer. If you want to be more remote, Phi Phi Village is meant to be nice.

Just a quick word on the buffet breakfast, I don't know what others have meant when they said it was terrible....it was great, it really was, big selection of food and fruit, great coffee and smiling faces.

I would recommend this hotel...and have recommended it to friends.

Surely one of the best views!

by TripAdvisor Member Tring86

I was shocked to see how bad some of the reviews were for this hotel! I have travelled around the world and stayed in some amazing and very expensive hotels- the phi phi cabana did not disappoint!

My boyfriend and I had been back packing through Asia and decideded to end our travels with a week on a beach- and after some recommendations headed to phi phi. We had nothing booked and just bought a ticket for the boat from phuket - phuket is horrible- on the boat on the way there a lady came round with a leaflets of the hotels available. We decided to 'splash out' so to speak in our last week and like the look of the cabana. It was only £30 for both of us a night with breakfast- amazing value!

the location could not be better, surely one of the best on the island. we went to reception and were shown a room that was available, before we had to decided for definate whether we wanted to stay or not. As soon as we say the pool and the view, I think we would have put up with anything in the room but even that turned out to be lovely! we had a ground floor room away from the pool with a superb view and veranda area. The room was very clean and everything looked new. the sheets and towels were changed everyday.

the breakfast was very good. a huge selection- the min croissants were especially good! all the staff in the restaurant were very smiley and happy to get you anything.

we didnt book any trips through the hotel, but there are lots of travel type shops just along the road, and from one of these we got a good deal on a snorkelling trip- should definately do one of these trips.

go to phi phi and stay at the cabana was fantastic!

Great Potential - Unfortunately Not Yet Achieved

by TripAdvisor Member lifeofluxury

The location of this hotel is fabulous with views that are picture postcard quality. It is set just outside the village a few minutes walk from the pier. It really does have the potential to be great which is why its such a shame that it does not live up to potential or even seem to be trying. As you arrive by boat its the first hotel you can see, and a very impressive sight. We booked through the touts that wait for the boat arrivals each day, so could not comment on rates etc. It is clearly superior in looks to other hotels on the island which makes it very tempting for the newly arrived to book in.

However, the appearance is very very deceptive. Customer service is non-existent and bordering on rude. When we asked for two keys rather than one, it was stressed very loudly that should we lose this key we would have to pay a fine before they reluctantly parted with another key. The reception staff are smiley but unfortunately completely incompetent. The chief receptionist (not Thai but Swedish I think) was efficient but surly and rude pointing out the rules on our arrival and not allowing us to check out before the mini bar was checked. I can understand this but to wait for 45 minutes before somebody could check the mini bar and confirm that nothing had been used did not endear us to the hotel especially as we then had only 5 minutes to catch the departing ferry. The receptionist just kept saying we must wait without even trying to hurry things along. She then proceeded to deny that we had returned the additional room key while I insisted that it had been handed in and signed for. When the paperwork was found for the returned key she just raised her eyebrows.

The breakfast buffet was at about the level of a two star hotel. All the food was left uncovered and covered in flies and bugs. To get coffee or tea involved long waits and the table coverings were stained and unchanged even through the hotel was at best only a third full. The staff were not unhelpful but really did not have a clue as to what was required and clearly untrained for the job eg when they brought the tea or coffee they did not bring sugar or milk, and when the sugar or milk arrived the tea would be cold. Food around the pool was simply inedible and involved an hours wait.

Towels around the pool had to be signed for when taking and signed for again when returning. The second day the towel man made me show my signature for the previous days towel returns before allowing me to take another two towels.

The rooms do have fantastic views, but the showers have broken tiles and very leaky doors so that you are drying yourself in a huge puddle.

The location is great, the views are fantastic and after that everything else is a failure which is a real shame. I appreciate that the damage to the grounds was extensive due to the tsunami which is why I do not mention this. However, the attitude of the staff and service really lets the place down.

Comments