River Side Hotel

SUNSET AT NIGHT-Koh Phi PhiSUNSET AT NIGHT-Koh Phi Phi

First time to Phi Phi

by thailand_ted

Hi,
I'm looking at taking my girlfriend to Phi Phi in April 2011. Like many others posting on the forum various website information has got me frustrated. I have found a hotel near Pak Nam Beach and the prices seem pretty ok. I needed to find somewhere that had beach bungalows and where we could have our own privacy and this place seems to be the best giving the budget I have in place. I have a couple of questions that I would be very grateful if anybody could answer for me:

Am I best to go and book my holiday as a package, or book it indevidually? (I always feel package holidays are more expensive, but the security of a package always sways me into paying)

If I was to opt into booking the holiday seperately, what would be the best airport to fly to from Manchester? And are the regular ferries etc that could take me to my accomodation without it costing me a fortune?

The website for the accomodation I found never stipulated a board basis, I take it that is because it is all self catering, are there many amenities on the Island (i.e food and water) and what are the prices like?

If there are any questions you think I should be asking please advise me as I am not normally somebody who uses forums. Thank you for your time and patience :)

Re: First time to Phi Phi

by SfumatoPants

"our own privacy"

You won't find any of that on Phi Phi.

Re: First time to Phi Phi

by cgf

To Pak Nam Beach you can only get there by a longtailboat (taxi boat) and this could be a cost if you want to do self catering, let say about 200 bath each way? maybe little more.. about 500THB, it's big cost in Thailand and you did not buy nothing to eat yet.
In PhiPhi Island I've been with my wife at PhiPhi Hotel last year and Casita the year before (same property) and at one good restaurant, the Tokay, we could have a 10% discount if we spent for at least for 700 THB... as we do not drink much, let say 1 liter beer and a coke can was what we usually had, many times we did not spend so much for dinner for two in order to get the discount. There are places where you can have dinner for much less then tokay restaurant on main way, by the beach...
Do not forget also the sea could be also rough, August should be also raining season. in that situation inside a longtailboat is not where someone would like to be.
anyway I would not book any package in advance, only flight to Phuket or Bangkok, ferry are regular and accomodation could be bought on ferry as well. Maybe for first or two night and then you see there or buy just before you go so you have not to send money.

"near" could be anywhere in the island...

Travel Tips for Ko Phi Phi Don

White Beaches and Green Water

by pettevi

Everybody must love the white beaches and green water. Most of the tourists go scuba diving which is also quite cheap. You can choose anything from one day snorkeling trip to deepwater diving with several nights on a boat.

Come for the beaches

by KatyaB

The greatest reason to come to Ko Phi Phi is for the beaches. The Island is like many other places one would go to 'get away from it all'. Western food seems to be more common than Thai food here.
The island is much more a place for rest and socializing than experiencing true Thai culture but it's also a great place for the weary, tired backbacker to rest their mind and body for a few days.

Ao Loh Dalam Beach

by austarman

Ao Loh Dalam Beach is such a great place to chill out for long periods of time as we did with many other cruise tourists this particular day.
The water was great here although the sun was quite hot this day.
The thing to do though when the beach is so hot like that, is just to grab a deck chair with a big beach umbrella then find an ice cold beer and just watch the happy people playing at the beach in paradise.
Fantastic atmosphere and environment! The crystal clear waters and fine white sands of Dalam beach with the towering cliffs at either ends of the beach.

DRESS DECENTLY IN THE VILLAGE

by Nina-Maarit

The local people living in the Tonsai Village are muslims, so please do not go to the village wearing just bikini - they find it offensive. If you come straight from the beach, you can cover your bikini e.g. with a large scarf.

Mosquito Net and Tiger Balm

by Scouski

Conventional luggage is hard to pull around this stoney, hilly island, or at least it was when i worked there (probably has concreted paths everywhere now - they like to build over 1000 year old palm trees like there's tomorrow).....anyway, the point i was making was, unless you are staying at a good hotel that collects your luggage from the pier, then pack a rucksack because cases on wheels can be a real nightmare here - seriously! Thongs, sandals, flip flops - whatever you want to call them, thats what everone here wears - the reason being that your feet would sweat in anything more than that. Womens toiletries can be quite expensive on the island, so girls (especially backpackers with little money) buy your deoderant & tampons before you arrive. You're travelling to an island where the fact that your stuck on it is exploited financially - forget Phuket prices, here everything is more. Fantastic opportunity to take amazing pictures - i myself an amateur photographer did not have access to a good camera and regret it, but if you decide to take anything expensive you should keep it in a good safe. Thai people are lovely but most are poor by comparison and will take an opportunity if it is put infront of them.

Comments