20 Moo 2 Chaweng Beach, 84320, Thailand

Booking.com Asiatravel.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 18% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• The worst receptionist i have encountered in Thail

I arrived late on 27th January 2011 for one night. I had already booked to stay in the W Retreat the next day.

Upon arrival, We didn't feel very welcomed by the staff at the reception. They didn't even seem happy to see us. I have felt warmth from all other resorts that i have been to in Thailand, even from modest hotels, but the greeting i received from Als resort was very negative. There was not even a hint of a smile form the reception staff .

We were then let to our room (we had to carry our own bags, which is fine with me). The first room's aircon sounded like a jack-hammer from a construction site. I called the reception, only to be told that the sound would decrease in minutes. we waited for 20mins and there was no difference. I insisted on a change. We were let to 2 other rooms, all with the same problem. Finally the 4th room was better in terms of the noise from the air-con. Each and every time, i would walk to the reception with a big smile and humbly request for a change, perhaps hoping for a reciprocal smile, but to no avail. About 40mins was wasted.

The room was alright, The floors were abit sticky n the bed was uncomfortable. Apart from that, there was no other complains for the room.

The next morning, I wanted to request for a late check out by 1 hour. I went to the reception full of hope that things would be different ( i thought that perhaps, that the evening before, the staff were tired because we had arrived at 10pm?? and as such it would be different with the staff in the morning) Unfortunately, the staff had the same attitude; unfriendly, un-smiling. In fact, the staff that handled my request for a late check out, bordered on being rude. Without even checking the availability of rooms, she told me in a rather rude manner, NO! She had a frustrated "what are u thinking" look on her face upon hearing my request. However, after politely reminding her that we had arrived late the night before, she did extend our check out by 30mins.
    When we returned the key to check out, we were made to wait, because they didn't trust us that we had not touched the mini-bar(they had to check). We had already paid for the room the night before and could have left upon returning the key. Again, no smiling and not even a "good bye" when we were allowed to leave.
    By this time, it became a joke, as it appeared that we were more friendlier than the staff.
    Needless to say, but we were waiting to get out of the place. Apart from the location, it doesn't have much going for it. I experience zero hospitality and will never go back.

• KCHarmon's Profile Photo

cheap bungalow on the beach

Al's Resort may not have the amenities or personal service that I typically enjoy, but you simply can't beat the location and price! I even had a massage at Al's spa (which isn't a spa, but rather a relaxing open room on the beach where you can enjoy a $8 /hr massage while you idly gaze at the ocean). Definitely one of the cheapest and best locations on Chaweng Beach. It's walking distance to all the main shops, restaurants and bars in Koh Samui island. The standard rooms are quite attractive, well kept, air conditioned, and only a few steps from the beach! note: None of the rooms have ocean views, and they're all adjacent, so only book a standard or else you'll end up disappointed. Al's Resort is a great home-base from which to explore the island, but is certainly not a destination in and of itself... No award-winning restaurant or pool, and with all fairness the hotel service is rather non-existent, but sometimes all you really need is a nice, affordable bungalow on the beach.

Unique Quality: fantastic location, cheap price, nice rooms

Comments