Kandaburi Resort

Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Aquacraig's Profile Photo

Biggest bathrooms I've ever had!

Close to airport....and not far into town, this resort is quite comfortable. We stayed in the new rooms opposite the beach side rooms and were glad we did so, as they were a bit quieter and the bathrooms are enormous. Would recommend this place to people that like good service and a nice room.
    Word of advice though...if you are a bit modest about bathroom privacy you may be in for a small shock...as these bathrooms are open plan and have only have a thin veil curtain separating them from the main living room. It looks weird at first...but it does work quite welll!

Unique Quality: Apart from the large bathrooms....the Thai restaurant here is excellent! We dined their on numerous occasions and the standard was great each time.

More about Kandaburi Resort

Loved the Kandaburi

by TripAdvisor Member mangojuice

We spent alot of time researching the best location to stay on Koh Samui, as we didn't want to be in the centre, but within walking distance to it. We also used the reviews from this site to help make our selection. We weren't disappointed with the hotel, it is lovely. The location is the Northern end of Chaweng Beach, about 10 mins from the airport, but you don't hear anything. Its a good 15 mins walk along the beach to the centre, but along the way there are beach bars and restaurants. You are also sold lanteens and fireworks - mad lot! The lanteens are really nice, you can write your name on them and send them up into the night sky. We spent a couple of nights at the Sun Light Bar, chilled out music with low benches for chairs and cushions. Other beach bars have all drinks for 80 baht, about £1.20.

The hotel: we stayed in the deluxe beach rooms, 120, 121 & 122 - group of 6. The check- in was very efficient, with welcome drink and garland, bags taken to your room. The rooms were a very good size, double bed, TV, DVD, sofa, 2 chairs & table, mini bar with balcony, air-cond. we couldn't ask for more. Cleaned each day, free beach towels and 2 bottles of water. The only problem that needs to be addressed by the hotel was the smell from the drains outside our room and also the toliets by the pool area.
The breakfast was as you'd expect, a good selection, whatever type of eggs you wanted. We always got a sunbed around the pool, not really beach people, but the other couple did have beds on the beach and I think you need to get these early. Also you are bothered by the sellers all day long. The beach itself was lovely, shallow water and sand banks - you had to go out a long way before you could snorkel. We did see a few fish. The staff were very friendly, the Thai people are great. Between 1-2pm you had 30% off drinks, and then Happy Hour between 5-6pm. I felt that the staff could have been abit more proactive around the pool area getting you drinks, but not a major problem. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants, they are both open now on the other side of the road. They are still building the superior rooms, but do have the infinity pool this side - not sure what else as I never went across. If you want to get a tuk tuk, the guards flag them down for you 50 baht pp. We were part of a bigger group some stayed at the Baan, next to Tropical Murphys in the centre and also the Centara Hotel. The Kandaburi was much nicer than these, they said our rooms were much bigger and also the style is Thai, whereas the Centara is more colonial - personal taste I guess.

I was very impressed with the quality of restaurants in Chaweng and these are usually part of a hotel, you will be spoilt for choice. We went to Prego, part of Amari (good, but book) and also the Amari international restaurant (good), Red Snapper part of Chaweng Regent (our favourite), Kantara, Blue Lagoon (i think) (Thai). Eat Senses, Green Olive (not as good), we tried the Mexican Gringos - worst meal on the holiday, Chaba - great surf & turf, seafood - I had lobster for £10. Beware, the wine is expensive, around £20 a bottle but worth it when having a nice meal.

Weather - we did have some rain and a couple of overcast days, but it didn't spoil our holiday. When the sun was out it was very hot. Trips: my other half played golf at the Santiburi Asia Championship course, it cost £100 (pricey), but he really enjoyed it as the 4 of them each had a caddie, buggy - part of a fixed price, you get water, cap and towel. They also went out on a fishing boat for the day, caught plenty of fish. Elephant trekking was also another good trip. We had massages along the beach from the hotel 300 baht.

We all had a great time and I would recommend the Kandaburi Hotel, if I go back again I will stay at the Amari - we spent a couple nights in their lounge and it seemed very nice aswell.

Kandaburi is a fantastic option in Samui

by TripAdvisor Member JusMelbourne

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Thailand and Koh Samui. We spent a few nights in Bangkok and then 8 nights in Koh Samui.
And we loved Kandaburi!
As I am writing this review and I see that the hotel is rated 3 star, I am very surpsied. The lowest I would give this resort is 4 stars and will rate it 4.5 stars today.
The location is sensational - far enough away from the main part of Chaweng (both the beach and the town - maybe a 10-15 min walk, if you can bear the sun?), but close enough to walk to the beach restaurants at night, or catch the hotel bus (for 100 baht) into the city for dinner/shopping/drinks.
And you are away from all of the partying backpackers too, which is exactly what we wanted.
As you arrive, you dont really get to see the beauty of Kandaburi in the Reception area. You do though when you walk down the stairs and up to the pool/beach. It was a beautifully presented hotel - newish and very well looked after.
The staff are sensational - friendly and very happy. Breakfast each day was great and more than enough food.
We spent a lot of time around the pool and loved happy hour at lunch time and then in the late afternoon! The beach out the front of the hotel is quite shallow, but if you walk in a little, it is very clear and good for a snorkel.
The rooms were fantastic - very large, lovely Thai decor and had everything we needed.
The only minor downsides I had with the hotel were as follows:
Our bathroom occassionly had a smell coming from the toilet (that Thailand sewer smell?), but at night it had gone, especially when our room was serviced each evening and they lit some essential oils (a lovely touch). It was never bad enough to complain about though.
And although the staff were fantastic, the service at the pool was OK. You had to go to the bar to order a drink - they didnt really come to you and ask if you wanted one. Which wasnt a massive issue, as the staff were great once you had ordered.
Other than this though, I would highly recommend the hotel and my husband and I are even planning on returning next year.
It is very good value for money and we had a brilliant time.

Fantastic Honeymoon stay at the Kandaburi

by TripAdvisor Member AmericanSwedie

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic honeymoon in Ko Samui. We stayed for two weeks at the Kandaburi resort and were very satisfied. We had a deluxe room on the third floor. The room was beautiful and looked just like the pictures I had seen on the hotel’s website. I was a little bit nervous as we had booked the room through another travel website (which saved us a lot of money,) but the hotel treated us just like any other guests. We were given welcome drinks upon arrival, and our room was specially decorated with rose petals etc. About an hour after arriving a bottle of champagne and a cake were sent up to our room, complements of the hotel (because it was our honeymoon.) The breakfast buffet was very good, even by Swedish standards! We never did try the hotel’s restaurant as we usually had our dinner on the beach. (The beachfront is lined with restaurants. We walked down to the Relax Resort restaurant several evenings. They had an extensive menu and the prices were very good. You should definitely try a coconut shake, as well as an ice cream sundae with coconut ice cream!)

Many people thought that we would be bored after two weeks on Ko Samui, but we found that it was just what we needed after planning our wedding and hosting my big American family in Europe. We were able to relax and had plenty to do. We even got our “Open Water” diving certifications. We did this through Blue Planet, which is a small dive shop recently bought up by a young British couple. Blue Planet was fantastic. Not only were the prices lower than most of the other dive shops, but we received private lessons from a well-experienced diver.

Loved It

by TripAdvisor Member kaico

Where do you start,
My husband and i stayed at the kandaburi resort for 8 nights as part of our belated honey moon. From the moment we arrived we were totally spoilt. On arrival while our bags were being transfered to our delux beachside room we were given a drink, lovely cold face cloths to refresh ourselfs and a garland of flowers.
When we got to our room the bed was decorated with fresh flowers and a bottle of sparkling wine a chocolate cake with congratulations written on it and a basket of fresh fruit.
The room itself was huge very modern and clean, the room also had a t.v and dvd player, (you can hire out dvds for free at reception). The bathroom was lovely the only thing i would say is there is no door on the toilet which was fine for us being husband and wife but maybe not if you are sharing with friends.
The pool and beach area are again lovely and very clean.
There is a pool/beach side bar which is expensive compared to other bars 2 mins walk away and they also charge a service fee and additional tax so beware, we did not experiance this anywhere else.
We had our breakfast there every morning which had a huge selection, cant fault it at all. We did not use any of the restraunts for any other meals it was quite pricey compared to all the other local restraunts you have on your door step.
The spa was lovely we had a full body aromatherapy massage which was great, but again two minute walk away along the beach there are loads of places to get massages for alot less.
The staff in the resort were great so friendly, polite and helpful.
The resort runs a free shuttle bus into town at set times but if you miss this there is plenty of other transport ( dont know what there offical names are but kind of like pick up trucks, will take you into town for around 50 bahts, just stick your hand out when they pass, jump on, ring the bell when you want to get off, then pay the driver).
The resort is currently expanding across the road, but this did not affect us in any way did not hear a thing.
Each day you are given fresh beach towels so dont bring your own. You also get complimentary bottled water each day in your room.
Overall great resort, good location, brilliant staff, clean and modern.
We thoroughly enjoyed our styay and would definatly go back.

Excellent!!

by TripAdvisor Member Gooma

My wife and I stayed at Kandaburi for 2 weeks to celebrate our 1 yr wedding anniversary.
Overall, a fantastic holiday and Kandaburi was a great place to stay.
Some comments:
*Massive rooms - make sure you stay on the beach side of the road. The hotel is expanding to the other side of the road which is cheaper but not worth it
*Quiet part of Chaweng Beach away from the hustle and bustle (though walking distance to all the action)
*Food at Kandaburi - average (excelpt for their fine dining restaurants across the road).
*Top 4 restaurants: Dining on the Rocks, Eat Sense, Poppies, Kantara
*Beach - you will be dissappointed when you first arrive as during the day, the tide goes out and it does not look good at all. Once you walk out 200m it is clear. By afternoon, the tide comes in. No waves if that is what you are looking for. Having said that, it was probably one of the nicer parts of Chaweng beach without rocks
*Nightime - serene amience at the resort - 5 stars for this.
*Day trips - do not do the Sky Fox - waste of time and money!!! I would recommend Mr Ungs Jungle Safari and a day trip to Koh Tao for snorkelling
*Overall an excellent hotel, needs some friendlier staff at reception though.
*2 weeks is not too long - plenty of stuff to do.

Thoroughly recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member JezFromPerthWA

We enjoyed our 7 night stay in Kandaburi. Thoroughly recommended.

> The Hotel:

The hotel was great. The room was comfortable and clean. The staff were very friendly although English was not their strong point but it was easy to get by. Having walked along the beach and cut through some of the other hotels, we felt we were at one of the best hotels on the beach. I can’t tell you why it’s not 4 star rated.

We personally loved the hotel location because being at the northern end of the beach it was

(a) far enough away from the busy section of Cheweng Beach (in the middle) but a 10-15 min walk if you wanted to get down to that part of the beach and shopping area behind the beach
(b) the hotel is not in front of a rock/sand 'spit/breakwater' that appears in front of some of the other more central hotels along the beach.

Having been to Fiji we were expecting larger grounds and to walk down leafy paths to get to/from reception / pool etc, but none of the hotels on Cheweng Beach are this large so what you see in the photo's is more or less what you get. Having said this they've done a great job. The grounds are really well done with the tropical foliage, fish pools, layout, etc. There’s a good sized pool surrounded by leafiness and some water features. I liked the fact they had a decked, partially open area overlooking the beach for breakfast / meals. Just a few steps away from the pool was the beach with sun lounges. In the afternoon we made good use of the 2 for 1 ‘happy hour’, especially the cocktails.

We'd strongly recommend the beachside rooms, as the hotel has now spread backwards from the beach across busy Cheweng Rd. You're much better off in a beachside room to be close to the pool, beach, bar etc.

> Tips:

- Tours. We loved the 2 tours we went on:

1. Full day trip to the Angthorn National Park. This is a marine park covering 42 small islands. The trip included: hotel pick up and return, the speedboat & crew, kayaking around a small island, snorkelling, lunch on another island, 30 min hike up a particularly beautiful island with a lake hidden in the middle.

2. Half day trip (Vision tours) into the mountains on a tray back 4WD was also worthwhile. My wife convinced me to do the half hour elephant ride which I thought would be cheesy by was really worth doing.

- Eating. Initially we wanted to know where to eat out as we noticed not many people ate at the hotel (for no good reason other then it's fun to be a bit more adventurous and with any hotel it's usually cheaper to eat out). We asked staff for a recommendation. This met with blank stares and flicking through 'dine out in Samui' booklet which was a bit odd. All they need to say was "walk 10 mins down the beach - there's tonnes of good restaurants that pull candlelit tables out on to the sand"! When you feel like something other than Thai food try the Italian restaurant, Prego. Good food, 10 min walk from Kandaburi and reasonably priced.

- Towels. There's no need to bring beach towels as they are provided by the hotel.

A realistic review

by TripAdvisor Member Leon_styles

The Kandaburi certainly has the potential to be a great resort but is astonishingly lacking in certain areas, most notably, the F&B.

The rooms are excellent and very clean which is expected that the charged prices. The facilities are adequate with a nice swimming pool and beachfront, spa, internet room, and the ususal suspects. However, the quality of the food is dismal to say the least, and at relatively higher prices than restaurants in town.

Now for one, I would not complain about the price of the food if it was at least half decent, but I was disappointed time an again with almost every dish served to me with one exception.

I had one asparagus soup in the mediteranean which was good but the main course of lamb and cous cous was so dry it was almost inedible.

We ordered room service several times and ate less then half the food delivered. I am no chef, but I could personally cook better food than was given to me at the hotel. They even manage to make simple dishes such as bolognaise and pizza almost inedible. In addition, the price of drinks is probably more expensive than your home country at something like 250 Baht for a cocktail.

The poolside food is just as bad - the hotdog is made with the cheapest sausage and bread I've ever seen. A cocktail sausage in a slice of bread would have been better. Having said this, the breakfast was fairly good though frying an egg is difficult to get wrong.

As for the other aspects, the pool is very nice and the staff in general are friendly. However, the hotel is constructing a new building across the road which I imagine would accommodate another 200 guests. Considering there are only about 20 deck chairs by the beach and no more room to expand, I'd say unless you sleep on the beach your chance of getting a deck chair is going to be slim to none during peak season.

We stayed in the newly constructed rooms which were offering a discounted price of 3000 baht per night due to nearby construction. The noise is minimal if you close the windows but the price will double once the contruction is finished. Personally, I think 3000 baht per night is about right - the people staying near the beach were paying 6500 baht for smaller rooms which I was shocked to hear. Considering these are off-peak prices I wouldn't consider returning at anywhere near peak season prices.

Loved the staff

by TripAdvisor Member SurelyShirley

Stayed at this lovely resort for 10 days, would recommend to anyone, couples or families. The rooms are spacious and beautifully maintained. My only concern would be for those not able to manage stairs, you must go up and down several sets to reach reception from your accommodation. The pool is lovely and the staff so friendly and helpful. The restaurant was okay, but you need just to walk 50m down the beach to find better choices.

Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member Jen1985

I am a travel agent and did a sight inspection here as part of a work trip.

This is a very modern resort located on both sides of the road. The reception is on road level and you walk down around 2 flights of stairs down to the beach side of the resort. On the beach side there is no elevator access so would not suit people with mobility issues. They are currently building a new wing across the road, and this will have elevator access.

This was a very peaceful resort aimed mainly at the couples market. Huge pool area with wooden sun loungers.

Rooms were of a very generous size but the bathrooms did not have doors! The Superior Rooms only had a light see thru linen gauze curtain for privacy.

The resort also offers a free shuttle into Chaweng Beach daily.

Which Spa???

by nickandeva

Hi,

Im looking for a romantic day spa, at an affordable price for my partner and I as an anniversary gift.

Can anyone please recommend one? Any comments/experiences are much appreciated...

Thanks!!!

Re: Which Spa???

by brotherleelove

Check out the Spa Samui:

and the Tamarind Retreat:

Re: Which Spa???

by judyksp

Try one of these below:

a. Kandaburi Spa - www.kandaburi.com (having a special promotion now)

b. Mata Hari Samui Day Spa - www.mata-hari-samui.com

c. Eranda Spa - www.erandaspa.com

d. Peace Tropical Spa - www.peace-tropical-spa.com

The prices for all of them are reasonable. When they have promotion, the prices are very good. I have tried all of them.

Comments