Ko Samui Hotels

Our Members Say

• phil_uk_net profile photo phil_uk_net
  • Reviews: 1131

P and P: Quiet with hot water and A/C

This place is located in Chaweng beack between the beach and the main road. It is fairly quiet, the rooms are clean and there is A/C and hot water. These 2 things are a luxury in many budget places. I paid 800 baht per night which was quite good I though.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written December 7, 2002

P and P

• phil_uk_net profile photo phil_uk_net
  • Reviews: 1131

Ike's hut: Room mates provided!

This tip recounts my experience in 1987 when I first went to Samui. Samui has changed enormously since then and it is very unlikely that this bungalow operation still exists. Even if it does the bungalows have probably been rebuilt. Back in those days Samui catered for a few backpackers and did not have the package tourists that it has today. While this means that accommodation standards have gone up there are many negative aspects too.

As I recall (back in 1987), there were loads of locals waiting at the pier when we came across from Surat Thani offering us accommodation. The place I stayed at was called Ike's hut on Lamai beach but it is probably no longer there.
The exchange rate wan't so good back then - only 40 baht or less to the pound instead of 60 like it is now - but even so the beach huts were only about £1.50 per night.

The hut was right on the beach. Facilities were basic - just a bed in a small room with an electric light and fan. The bathroom at the back had a toilet and cold water shower.
Electricity was provided by generator and one night while I was getting ready to go out it packed up. I was left in pitch darkness so called out to my mate John who was in the next hut. He came by a bit later with a torch. As he came through the door shining the torch I noticed that my whole floor was covered with cockroaches! Obviously these things had been living with me but only came out when it was dark so I hadn't noticed them before. Nice!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 3, 2002

Ike's hut (1987) - probably gone now

• JoJo_of_the_west profile photo JoJo_of_the_west
  • Reviews: 7

Scout

Typically when I travel I make reservations for the first night then try and get a lay of the land the first day that I’m at a new location to make a more timely decision regarding accommodations. I violated this rule with this trip to Ko Samui. I arrived on the island without any accommodations (a pretty bold move although it was unintentional.) Many people I know (and love) hate to travel like this but I encountered minimal problems even in spite of the snafu. I found adequate accommodations the first night by jumping on the van from the airport to Chaweng beach, the more densely populated portion of the island. I spent 350 bt. For a room in an eight room complex on the beach. The next day I walked along the beach and found a GREAT one room bungalow with a front porch and a hammock facing the water for 400bt a night (or 300bt a night for a 5 night minimum.) I should warn you that the inn keepers will try to get you to prepay for several nights when you scout for accommodations this way. My advise is not to. Typically, the proprietor knows that there are plenty of comparable and superior properties to choose from just 50 meters down the beach.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 25, 2002
Tip Photo

• xaver profile photo xaver
  • Reviews: 1230

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Family Bungalows: Best beach bungalows

In koh Samui, I higly reccommend the family bungalows in Chaweng beach. They are managed by some very funny guys, the athmosphear is great, you wake up and see a great beach in front of you.
www.familybungalow.com
A cheaper one is the luky mother bungalow, about 10 $ per nigh, but no air conditioning and many mosquitos.
about 15 $ per night a bungalow with airconditioning.

the view on seaside and the barbeque on the beach.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive