Ko Samui Hotels

Our Members Say

CHARLIES HUT: MY SECOND VISIT TO CHARLIES

As on my first visit to Charlies, my time spent here was peacful for the most part, but sometimes you couldn't help getting carried away. I spent 12 days at Charlies this time, mostly swimming and suntanning during the day. This provided me with the chance to meet and party with many tourists, that were on various stages of their holiday.
Some of the staff that were still working here remembered me from the last time, and they were wondering why my brother didn't make this trip. He won't be able to travel with me for a couple of years due to school, so they may not see him for awhile.
The only bad part to my visit this time was the construction that was going on next to Charlies. It would start at around 7:30am and go on all day, so as you can tell, not too much for sleeping in. Most nights I would be lucky to get to bed by 5:00am, so this made it quite interesting getting up.

As before the beach was great, however because of the time of year, the water was a lot calmer and there were less people. The staff treated me very well and I had a fun time talking and catching up with many of them.
The hut that I stayed in this time was a little better than on my last visit, the main difference being my own attached bathroom for 350bht.
The restaurant and staff were excellent once again on this trip.

• Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 12, 2004

OUTSIDE MY HUT-Koh Samui

CHARLIES HUT: MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME

If you would like to stay at Charlies, there are a few different huts to choose from. The basic hut, like the one I stayed in, cost 200bht a night and has a fan and shared bathroom. I found during my stay that my hut was secure, and the bathrooms were kept clean. The hut also comes with a bug net around your bed to keep most of the critters away while you sleep.
You can also purchase huts with an attached bathroom for 350-500bht per night. These were located close to my huts and from talking to the people that rented them, they had little complaints.
In the section across from my hut, there are huts available that have air conditioning and bathroom (700bht per night).
I would definitely recommend this place to people on a tight budget that are looking for places like I stayed in. They were well worth it as everything you need was easily found close by. You can find restaurants, laundry, internet, all kinds of shopping and best of all, the beach within minutes of Charlies.
Now that I have stayed here on every trip so far I have tried every hut so far that Charlies offers. They are all good places to stay in, it really just depends on personal preference.

Bamboo huts in a close, quiet setting with access to the beach just seconds away. As well as a nice little restaurant with good food and view of the ocean.
It is very peaceful and the staff maintain it quite well. Security is around 24 hours a day, and after you get to know them a bit, don't mind having the odd beer with you.
****UPDATE****Charlies now offers an internet service and also tour packages for day trips, train/bus/plane tickets.****

• Related to: Backpacking, Beaches, Budget Travel
  • Written March 20, 2004
Tip Photo

PICTURE TAKEN FROM BEACH(Looking toward my hut).

• hash09 profile photo hash09
  • Reviews: 248

Crystal bay resort

I like to stay in the crystal bay, the owner of this chelet is very friendly to us and they willing to help with anything we ask... and their services also quite good.

The chelet got no pool, but it just next to the beach, if you choose the chelet with beach view, i think it quite good enaugh, the room is clean and you also will served with one breakfast each morning.. i mean breakfst for two..hehehe

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 15, 2005
Tip Photo

Infront of crystal bay signboard

• Jmill42 profile photo Jmill42
  • Reviews: 1072

Charlie's Huts: Cheap Accommodation

On Chaweng Beach there are numerous places that can provide you with cheap accommodation. I found this to be the coolest place. Providing singles, doubles and cabins, all thatch huts, Charlie's also has a nice little restaurant and a good section of beach in front of it. For 200 Baht a night or less, you can have one of these cabins. I went for a bathroom and shower attached cabin, but there are some with shared facilities for cheaper. They do have air-conditioned cabins, but your in Thailand! Act like a local!

The huts are just off the main road, and there are numerous banks, shops, restaurants and a supermarket is right across the street.

Sleep under a mosquito net
Pad-locked doors, porches
restaurant
nice beach

• Written March 24, 2004

• Stell profile photo Stell
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Spa Samui: Fab health resort /spa and fantastic health food.

This was THE most relaxing time I've ever spent.

I'm going back!!!!

They have a fasting program if you want to do it but if not the health food ( mostly vegetarian ) is the best I've ever eaten. Accomoation is right on the beach and they have great massage on site. They also offer other things like yoga and chi-gung on the beach most mornings

It's not right in the thick of the Lamai Beach action but close enough to go to Lamai if you want to. I hired a bicycle and cycling to Lamai took about 5-10 minutes. Everyone there is very friendly and laid back too.

• Written March 19, 2004
Tip Photo

View from my room - looking out to the beach.

• STRATOS79 profile photo STRATOS79
  • Reviews: 221

P&P SAMUI RESORT: Budget resort in chaweng

If you want a budget hotel next to the sea and close to chaweng nightlife and shops for less than 20$ then P&P SAMUI RESORT is a great solution. A simple place with thai restaurant and a small pool and friently staff All rooms have air-con,fridge,safetybox and tv with no extra fees

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 26, 2007

• sugarpuff profile photo sugarpuff
  • Reviews: 404

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Coconut Beach Resort: Looked fun!

Again, I didn't stay here, but passed by and dropped in to inquire about prices and availability. Lovely wooden hut bungalows in the midst of really tall coconut trees. Only 300Baht a night including inside shower, toilet and sink with fan. A little cramped but directly on the beach. There was a restaurant and bar attached but the prices were steep compared to other places on Lamai Beach. This was located fairly north of the beach where there was more happening and closer to the nightlife area.

The photo attached is not of the bungalow but it was the only one I had of some tall coconut trees!!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written February 5, 2007
Tip Photo

• meaganelizabeth profile photo meaganelizabeth
  • Reviews: 89

Spa Samui: Healthy Lifestyle Accomodations

There are two spa Samui resorts in Koh Samui. One is up in the jungle, called the village, the second is on the beach. People fly to Koh Samui from all over the world to visit this spa. Other people choose to stay here for the beauty and the programs. This spa offers all kinds of cleansing, fasting and detox programs. There is daily yoga, chi gung, tea ceremonies, meditation etc. Steam room, fresh water pool, yoga sala, about 15 different types of massage, library, internet.

The village has amazing views from your bungalow. The bungalows range from $20 - 175. The $25 bungalows are air conditioned, and very cute. TV and dialy maid service. The restaurants at the spa is world renowned, named as a top 50 Vegetarian restaurant in the world. They do serve fish. The meals are fantastic, and having eaten all over the island, I would come here to eat even if I wasn't staying here. There are buddhist lectures and all kinds of activities at spa samui.check out the website!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: School Holidays
  • Written May 25, 2005

Spa Samui Village

• kimmo_v profile photo kimmo_v
  • Reviews: 223

Sand Sea Resort: Little bit luxorous living

We had a bungalow on the waterfront, with a/c, tv, huge bath tube, terrace, toilet/shower,...
Sitting on our own terrace, listening waves breaking the shore, sipping rum&coke, reading a book. Hey! Thats life as its best!

Very quiet place at the north part of Lamai beach.
The beach aint so good than in southern part, but it doesnt matter, cause everything is so close.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 11, 2003
Tip Photo

Our little house on the beachfront.

• sugarpuff profile photo sugarpuff
  • Reviews: 404

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Cottage@Samui: A lovely quiet place hidden down a dirt track!

We arrived at Samui on the Lomprayah catamaran from Koh Phangan at 1130am. I had briefly looked at places to stay on the half hour boat trip from a brochure I picked up at the ferry pier and I already had an idea of which beach I wanted to stay on, so when the Lomprayah shuttle bus drivers asked where we wanted to go, I said Lamai Beach, Amity Bungalows. Did I have a reservation? No I replied. I was a little disturbed by his question as on the other two islands I hadn't needed a reservation...anyway off we went. We dropped off three others along the way at their respective hostels/hotels/resorts and on we continued. Got to Lamai Beach area finally (it's in the south, so farthest from the ferry pier) and down this dirt track we went to Amity Bungalows. It was right on the beach with some brick bungalows and some brick houses which looked pricey. To our dismay they said they were all full apart from the the most expensive bungalow. We didn't really know what to do at this point as we really were a long walk from the other budget places. Our driver was very nice and said he knew of a place we may like and offered to drive us there, but we had noticed along the dirt track there were three other places, so we told him we would try them out. We thanked him and off he went in one direction and us in the other!

Charles asked at one place 'White Sands' their prices and a look at the room, and I tried another place and we decided the place that I had looked at was better. That was 'The Cottage@Samui'. White Sands had a cute restaurant where I went every morning for breakfast as it was practically on the beach but the area where the bungalows were was pretty dark and muddy. The Cottage@Samui on the other hand is a 2min walk from the beach, restaurant was quiet if not dead most days but was set in a beautiful garden area. The rooms came with inside shower, toilet and sink, double bed, nice big soft towels and our very own live-in Ghecko! I wasn't too pleased about our other living companion but I grew used to him during our 6 day stay there. The rooms were 300Baht a night. Very good price for what it was. You could hire motorbikes from them as you can most restaurants and bungalows. they have four computers hooked up to the internet and can also organise tours around the island for you. I seemed to pay our money to a different girl everyday, but they were all very friendly and they made the best banana milkshake (in pint glasses!) I had had in our 20 day trip!

• Written February 5, 2007

Our cute bungalow

• austarman profile photo austarman
  • Reviews: 186

Ever Green Resort: Garden hideaway

The location and setting of these bungalows was just perfect for me being close to the town and beach.
Each bungalo sits independantly in a lush garden and is very cool and comfortable.
The staff were very helpful especially when I locked myself out of my room.
There is a resturant about 500 metres away that is right on the beach and the food there is very very good.
I would recommend these bungalo's as they were clean, cheaper than usual, and close to everything.

The bungalo I was in was air conditioned with a TV and a fridge-minibar,a safe,big bed and hot water.
What more could you want?
Did I say it is situated right in the centre of Chaweng and just off the main street?
It doesn't have a pool but it is only 500 metres from the beach and many good bars and resturants.

• Related to: Beaches, Budget Travel, Beer Tasting
  • Written November 30, 2005
Tip Photo

Evergreen bungalo's in the rain

• JessH profile photo JessH
  • Reviews: 561

Animal-Friendly Hotels on Ko Samui: Animal-Friendly Hotels on Ko Samui

In the past and even today on rare occasions, the authorities or hotel owners on Ko Samui have poisoned stray cats & dogs. Death by poisoning is long and horrifically painful for the animal!

If you're a friend of animals you can now enable the dogs and cats on Samui to have a better life. An initiative to support the DRCS (Dog Rescue Centre Samui - Brigitte & Werner Gomm) protection of the beach dogs on Koh Samui has been set-up: The Seal for "Animal Friends Hotels" on the island helps you choose those hotels that do not kill animals.

First off: the animals do not belong to the corresponding hotels, they are strays. "Animal friendly" doesn't mean that animals are allowed on the hotel property, but that they have their natural territory on the beach and aren't in danger of being poisoned or otherwise hurt.

The animals living at these hotels have been sterilized & are vaccinated regularly: you don't have to be afraid of illnesses.

If you feel molested by the animals, a simple "GO!" will be enough and they will leave you alone; There is no need to throw stones or kick them!
--> Did you know that thanks to the work done by Brigitte & her husband Werner, Ko Samui is the only island in Thailand that is completely free of rabies!

Some of the dogs will look scary, especially when they have mange or wounds from a street fight. Guests always inform the reception about these occasions. Very often the personnel at the reception doesn't understand the problem or fully comprehend the feelings of Western tourists; so they falsely understand it as a complaint and because of these misunderstandings again some animals may be "removed".

Please think beforehand if a complaint is necessary and consider the possible consequences to the animals. If you feel that the hotel is unable to understand or help with your concerns, contact the Dog & Cat Rescue Centre directly! Tel: 0066-77-413 490 or 0066-81-893 9443.
--> List of Animal-Friendly Hotels in Ko Samui:

Animal-Lovers always dive with DIVE POINT:

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Eco-Tourism, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 5, 2007

Logo for Animal-Friendly Hotels in Ko Samui

CHARLIES HUT: RETURNED FOR 4TH TIME

I returned, as usual for me, to Charlies Hut and spent 3 nights here on my latest trip to Samui.
I stayed in the air-con huts this time to see what they were like and overall it was OK. They obviously have air-con, but also have an attached bathroom with cold shower. Other then this they were similar in many ways to the other huts I have stayed in before, on previous trips. The price for these huts are 700bht per night, which is not bad at all I would say.
I only met up with a few of the staff during my short stay this trip, but it was great that they still remember me and all treat me very well. I will be back here for sure again!!!!

As with all my other visits to Charlies, nothing can beat the fact that you are very close to the beach and almost anything else you may require.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written October 2, 2005

MY HUT SEPT/2005-Koh Samui

• AMOQUE profile photo AMOQUE
  • Reviews: 100

Lucky Mother Bungalow: Low budget backpackers place

This is not a place to go if you like luxury. Luxury is minimal here, but still you have your own shower, toilet and bed. That's all.

A nice place in Chaweng center for backpackers who want to explore Koh Samui relativly low budget.

The bungalows are in a nice lane, surrounded by flowers and trees. When you walk trough that lane you'll be at the beach in 1 minute. Center also 1 minute.

Put something on your body against insect bites, because there are lot's of musquito's and no musquito net.

-The hostel has a restaurant that serves nice breakfasts and lunches. Dinner is also available here.
-Close to towncenter and close to beach.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 23, 2004

Me standing at our Lucky Mother bungalow

• AMOQUE profile photo AMOQUE
  • Reviews: 100

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Coconut Calm Beach Bungalows: A great place to stay!

Very nice and clean bungalows. They look brand new. Lot's of palmtrees and a very nice and exotic place. Clean and proper bathroom.

-Restaurant and bar with nice staff. The food was allrightt. Possible to eat on the terrace.
-If you make a reservation on time they have a taxi service.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Beaches
  • Written June 24, 2004
Tip Photo

New bungalows underneath the palm trees

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful