Maya Buri

9/193 Moo 4, Bond-Kai Road, Bophut, Koh Samui, Suratthani 84320, Tumbol Bophut, Amphoe Koh Samui, 84
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Ko Samui

Big BuddahBig Buddah

Ark BarArk Bar

Beware the tiger spray to youBeware the tiger spray to you

Lipanoi BeachLipanoi Beach

backpackers at chaweng

by eggin

hei there, has anyone of you been backpacking at samui?
cause i am looking for cheap accomatadion at the chaweng beach...can someone help?

by sezabell

whats you idea of cheap? i got a room at the rattana bungalows had a fan room with own bathroom, tv and fridge for 600 baht which i think is pritty cheap for chawang its not smack bang right in the middle of chaweng but is still on that rd and shops start right on the corner of the lane its down, has a pool and beach about 100meters away.

by eggin

well the cheap i am looking for is backpackers cheap :)
we are 2 girls traveling together and at the moment we pay for an aircon room with 2 beds 600 baht per night...
and we also have wifi for free (which is not too bad, as it rains the whole day since 2 days ...)

by mim95

600 B is a really good deal with air conditioning and free wifi!! I don't think you can get Khao San Road prices on Ko Samui. If you are staying longer, ask the manager for a deal.

by eggin

yea i will do that i think, as we will stay for 9 nights i think, would you say chaweng beach is a good place to stay?
we are not at bangkok at the moment, we are at the ao nang beach/krabi, and we also been to phuket and railay beach and everywhere, till now we paid 600 with air con and wifi (not at railay)
so i actually hope we will find that on samui aswell...

by mim95

I'm sure you can get a discount if you are staying for 9 days! I haven't been back to chaweng so I can't really comment on that. When I went there 5 years ago, it was the busiest beach. I'm sure it's even busier than ever. If you like actions, that's where you want to go. You can just take the songtaew to another beach if you get tired of chaweng.

by eggin

yeah sounds like chaweng is the beach we wanna stay at ;)
so i guess the best thing to do is just go there and ask ourselfs in the hotels, guesthouses and hostels?! or do you think a "travel agency" could find a cheap one and give us a good deal? what do you think would be the best way to do it?

by mim95

If you have to find a cheaper place, then it's better to check with other fellow backpackers or find it on your own. Travel agents won't be able to help you with cheap accommodations. Really, 600 Baht is a good deal.

Travel Tips for Ko Samui

Na Muang Waterfall

by austarman

I have so many favorite things about Ko Samui.
The locals are all usually very helpful and friendly,and the seafood available here is very good and at better prices than Phuket or Bangkok.
At night my favorite place to go is the Reggae pub in Chaweng.
During the day I enjoy kicking back on either Chaweng or Lamai beaches, and also riding around the island on my little rented moterbike.
But my favorite place to go in Ko Samui is the Na Muang waterfall about 8km from Lamai on the road to Nathon. I really enjoyed going to Na Muang waterfall sometimes for a BBQ chicken lunch under the trees followed by a couple of beers.
The best thing about Na Muang was that, it was always great to have a very cooling swim in the waterhole at the bottom of the waterfall.
It can get very hot in Samui during the day and this place would be the coolest place to come for a swim on the whole island.
The waterfall itself is quite high and it falls about 79 metres into a large waterhole and it is very deep in places which makes for a refreshing swim.
It is interesting too to read about how the present and former king of Thailand (No5) used to come here and swim too.
Also here you can shop in the many souvenier shops around or even go elephant trekking in the jungle.

Travel Light

by jamiesamui

Just bring the standard suitcase if you over shop you can buy reasonably priced bags for the trip home. For Samui I recommend you pack light (depending on your budget ) because there is so much reasonably priced clothing on offer , that you can easily find yourself looking like a pack mule trying to catch your transport home , or in extreme cases getting slugged for excess baggage I have found that sunscreen , mosquito repellant is dearer than I can buy it for at home so I make sure I bring enough with me. There are no shortage of places to have your pics developed or internet cafes to upload to your p.c

Loud But Fun

by jamiesamui about Moo Bar

The Moo Bar is situated at the very foot of the Green Mango on the right hand side. The Moo Bar is another place to dance, a fairly small partly open air area with 2 bars & people walking around taking orders while your enjoying the beat There are seats on a raised area near the top bar and is not a bad place to watch people letting their hair down.
The music as in all the dance clubs is fairly loud but this is a distinct advantage if you are having a disagreement with your loved one because you cannot hear her telling you what a ba*t*rd you are.
The only thing I didn`t like was very drunk people stumbling in because they either can`t get in to the Green Mango or have been asked to leave it. none

Rent a car and drive around the island

by Pomska

It's easy and cheap to rent a car in Samui. We rent it from our hotel Amari Palm Reef because there where a car rental service available (I think major hotels have that kind of service). The car was cheap (don't remember how much it was actually).

I found it really useful way of transportation when you want to explore the whole island by yourself. And it's safer than motorcycles.

Prego….a Maitre D' Please!

by balisunshine about Prego

Another recommended location that we visited,
was this Italian restaurant known as Prego.

All the way on the northern end of Chaweng,
this completely open venue
is beautiful from the inside and out.
But it may be a bit warm for its customers.
I saw quite a few of the patrons
wiping the sweat off their foreheads.

As we arrived,
the hostess took us to a table on the side.
My seat was facing the wall
and I asked if we could be moved
to one of the centered empty tables near by.

A big question mark of what to do
appeared on the hostesses’ face.
Realizing what confusion this caused her
I decided to settle for
the table that they felt
was appropriate.

The tables that I had desired
remained empty throughout our meal.
Not very accommodating huh?

There was a nice selection of international wines. The menu consisted of:

Antipasti’s & Salads ranging from:

There is a Special Delights Menu with a selection of:

2 starters from 480 – 590 Bahts

2 Pastas 490 – 670 Bahts

2 Mains 950 – 985 Bahts

There is a lot to choose from!!!

What really drew my attention was
seeing the Executive Chef Marco,
circulating around the restaurant
over viewing his 50 – something staff.
and the 100 – something patrons.

Not an easy thing to do
in this part of the world.

Where is the Maitre D?

Shouldn’t the chef be in the cuisine?

The service was full of flaws
and the food to my mother’s dissatisfaction
was not very good.

Maybe the owners should spend on another salary
and get a floor manager or a Maitre D'.

Open from 11:00 am – 2:00 am