4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Samui's best kept secret

I arrived at Rocky Resort with high expectations after reading the 14 pages of testimonials on the website in detail. And, I can attest that they didn't dissappoint. From the moment I arrived I was made to feel welcome, at home, and relaxed. Check in was done in the restaurant overlooking the sea, we were offered a free welcome drink, a kind of fruit punch and we got to enjoy a brilliant view of the ocean while we talked with Luke and learned about the resort.

After that we were taken to our rooms which were very stylish. There's a great attention to detail which permeates all around the resort, and shows up especially in the rooms, even down to the coconut wood soap holder.

The resort itself is small, intimate and very private. It's located in a small bay just south of Lamai beach, in easy walking distance to the main strip of Lamai, and yet completely private.

The restaurant is fantastic, we had a private dinner of steak and lobster served to us in the Sala on the beach by candlelight.

The resort is highly recommended, it's the only place I would stay if I go back to Samui.

Unique Quality: Friendly atmosphere, great food, great location.

• cbrandlehner's Profile Photo

My favourite Bungalo Resort

Unique Quality: Very good and inexpensive food at the resorts restaurant.
    If you heard that Thailand is overcrowded, it is definitely NOT TRUE for this resort. It is relaxing and quite comftable for that price offered.

More about Rocky Resort

Rocky Resort highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member CiQ

Rocky's feels exclusive and luxurious, without pretention. We are a family of 4, including 2 teenagers. We all had a wonderful stay at Rocky's. It is family-friendly. The grounds are beautiful and the guest cottages are elegant and pristine. The staff is attentive. Management is approachable and interested in their guests. Rocky's is away from the towns and the noise (a good thing!), but only a short taxi ride away. The food is delicious and the presentation highly attractive. They have an excellent website. We will stay there again.

International menue!

by cbrandlehner about The Rocky Resort Restaurant

This reataurant offers you an internatinal menue. Regardless if you choose european, Thai cuisine or local seafood, you will be surprised by the qualities of the chef. Pork filet with rosti potatoes.

Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member pollyscottiedog

I really found rockys resort overrated, I found that if you had booked a wedding or a big event the staff were all over you as were the owners, but if like us you had just booked a weeks holiday you were like the poor relations. The pool area was very small and was often taken up by the groups of people that had come with the wedding party so it was very difficult to get a place around the pool. When we went in feb 2006 there was no no smoking areas, and what made it worse was that the owners of the hotel smoked and were often seen at breakfast near the buffet and chatting to guests with a cigarette on, which in my opinion is totally unacceptable. some of the staff were ok, but alot of them were rude I think this is because of the owners moneygrabbing attitude filtering down to the staff. The rooms were ok, we had a beach front bungalow, but not as fabulous as the hotel website would have you believe. I definitely would not recommend this hotel if you were going as a couple on holiday, maybe it is different as part of a big event such as a conference or wedding. You should also check your bill as they had a habit of charging you the tax twice, once if you had a meal or a drink and again at checkout on the total amount.

Nice resort

by TripAdvisor Member elaine&ivan

Stayed at the Rocky at the end of Jan for my husbands 50th. This was the third hotel on our trip round asia and cost the most, even though the other hotels were 5*, so I thought this was going to be fabulous. Opted for a junior beach front villa. Room was nice, with the sea just a couple of yards from the door. When we were there the weather was not that good and the sea was quite choppy, which was a disapointment as we love snorkelling and this was impossible. still dont this it would be that good if the sea was calm. When the tide is in the beach disappears, and the tide didnt seem to go out until night, so if you got children with buckets and spades not much fun.

As with a couple of other reviews the hotel guide in the room states that the bar is open until 12am, not so, shuts at 11pm, which was disappointing. Breakfast is until 10.30, however you need to get down well before this as by 10.30 its cleared away fast. We missed three out of six breakfasts and ended up getting something to eat in Lamai, Location not that good for going out for a drink as it is a good 30 minute walk along a busy road. Buy your drinking water and and booze you want at the supermarket, loads cheaper than the hotel or go into Lamai for a bit of night life. If you go to the reception and get them to order a taxi the cost more expensive than getting one yourself, walk to the top of the road about 2 minutes and one will come along in a couple of minutes, remember to sort the price out before you get in. Bike and car rental also cheaper outside of the hotel. Booked the sala for a special meal, this was nice, however remember you pay for everything here and they even charge you to set the table up in the sala. Bizarre entertainment one night about half a dozen glitzy lady boys dancing and miming to music. All in all a lovely setting, but expensive for what I recon is about 4* hotel.

2nd time and still amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member Summer2121

I've just returned from my 2nd stay at Rocky's and I'm glad to say that it was even better than the first time. This time my husband and I were lucky enough to celebrate our wedding while staying at the resort. For anyone who is thinking of getting married in Thailand I can not recommend Rocky's highly enough. The attention to detail was just amazing and we both enjoyed a completely stress free day thanks to the wonderful staff who work at Rocky's. Our family and friends as well as well as my husband and I were blown away by the whole day. The honeymoon suite is out of this world and is truly the most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in. I can't wait to get back for a 3rd visit!

Can't Get Better

by TripAdvisor Member colhelshep

Our last visit to Rocky's was our third stay at this fantastic resort and it incorporated the wedding of friends from Australia. We recommended Rocky's to them because, in addition to the sheer beauty of the setting, we were extremely confident that Luke and the team would make it an amazing and unforgettable event for our friends and their fifty plus guests. Our confidence was justified. Our newly married friends and all of the guests were simply stunned by the attention to detail that we have come to expect as the norm. Thanks again to Luke, Eric and all the other delightful staff for a wonderful, but all too brief, stay. The fact that we can't wait to get back there is the highest recommendation we can give.
Colin & Helen Shepherd

The best holiday resort

by TripAdvisor Member pmcclell

We have stayed twice now at Rocky with a family of 4 children so the hillside villa's are just fantastic because we can all fit comfortably. I we can not say enough good things about the staff at Rocky's and it is the quality of the service, the absolutely fantastic restaurant and the fact that the resort is nicely positioned away from the traffic and crowds of the main beaches that will keep us coming back here - am just about to book our third stay with them.

the Rocky Resort Restaurantthe Rocky Resort Restaurant

PAVILION, ROCKY OR ALOHA - RESORT ?

by kikki1

Hi ,
we are going to Koh Samui in august .
My husband would like to make a reservation at Pavilion Resort . I think i would like the Rocky Resort and I have a friend who stayed at Aloha resort (7 ! years ago) . We have a child 8 yrs going with us .

We would like a quiet area, good food and nice cosy room .

Regards

Re: PAVILION, ROCKY OR ALOHA - RESORT ?

by selfishman

I visited the Rocky Resort and was very impressed. It has a nice secluded beach, great restaurant, and good location.
My good friend is also the manager there so I am a little biased, but I did get to see first hand all the work they put into the place and the attention to detail in creating the atmosphere you described.
If you do decide on the Rocky Resort, tell Erik I said hi.
Take care and good luck!

Comments