Samui Amanda Resort

Don't touchDon't touch

Wat KunaramWat Kunaram

Diving around Chaweng beach

by Timmy23

Hi all, I have a trip to Chaweng beach in Feb, fancy some diving and snorkelling. Dive shops will be easy enough to find, but are there any areas good for snorkelling close by? Are there any reefs nearby? Also, is the water suited to us Brits or should I stick to drinking the bottled stuff?

by SfumatoPants

I don't see how you couldn't find a dive shop. There are some great day trips to Ang Thong National Marine Park. I'd do one of those again. As for water, stick to what you are comfortable with. Always better safe than sorry.

by xymmot

In Thailand, always drink bottle water....never, never tap...Depending on your time frame, I think Chaweng Beach and the area for diving is cloudy. If you are diving or snorkeling I rather hop a plane or bus to Phuket to find dive spots in the Andaman Sea...they have national sea park reserve like the Siliam Island National Park also. There are many deals at the dive sops in Phuket that goes out for two and three days that are great for 200 pounds,.

Cheers Tommy x

by mim95

Nothing close to the shore, you'll need to join a tour to the snokelling / dive sites. I believe the sea condition isn't the best in the gulf of Thailand. As mentioned, Angthong national park can be done as a day trip. There are probably other sites as well.

Don't drink the tap water.

by Brouce

Hi Brouce here I am new on this forum I need some sort of help from you. I am going for a family trip but i don't suggest a place for trip please help me out from my problem i will be thank full to you I want a historical place for my family from which my children get some knowledge about history.

by xymmot

Sorry Timmy23, I mis-read your question and I do not know why I am thinking of the Cham-Am
area, but as SfumatoPants said, Ang Thong NMP is a good place for snorkeling, but you must
go with a tour group into the park. Still, drink only bottle water....Andaman Sea is still the better dive area....I think...but there are areas in the Gulf, but cloudy. I think there are some night dive wrecks they go to and a few small islands in the area, but i do not like to dive the Gulf side.

cheers Tommy X

by baldurontour

Hi Timmy,

Snorkeling around Chaweng Beach is not really that nice. When checking out the dive shops, defintely you will also see loads of offers for boat tours for snorkeling.

I went for the trip to "Ko Nang Yuan". This Beach around this tiny island perfect for snorkeling. We were totally impressed.

Have a great time!

B.

by Timmy23

Thanks for the replies chaps, sounds like I will find a tour easy enough.

I have booked accommodation through sawadee.com, anyone any experience?

by SfumatoPants

They work, nothing to complain about.
I book hotels directly, by phoning them, after I have checked THEIR website (not a third party). I have found time and again that this is the best way to get a deal, no matter how small (at the very least a late check out for no extra cost, etc...).

Travel Tips for Ko Samui

Songkran Festival

by costaplatis

Yesterday, 13 April 2010 was the Thai New Year Celebration also known as Songkran. I had heard so much about the festival from friends and acquaintances that I was really looking forward to it and finally the day had arrived. The most obvious celebration of Songkran is the throwing of water. Thais roam the streets with containers of water or water guns (sometimes mixed with mentholated talc), or post themselves at the side of roads with a garden hose and drench each other and passersby. This, however, was not always the main activity of this festival. Songkran was traditionally a time to visit and pay respects to elders, including family members, friends and neighbors.

The throwing of water originated as a way to pay respect to people, by capturing the water after it had been poured over the Buddhas for cleansing and then using this "blessed" water to give good fortune to elders and family by gently pouring it on the shoulder. Among young people the holiday evolved to include dousing strangers with water to relieve the heat, since April is the hottest month in Thailand (temperatures can rise to over 100°F or 40°C on some days). This has further evolved into water fights and splashing water over people riding in vehicles.

The water is meant as a symbol of washing all of the bad away and is sometimes filled with fragrant herbs when celebrated in the traditional manner.

It was with a buzz of excitement that I woke yesterday and rode my scooter to drop off my girlfriend and then to my place of work. I had not yet gone 500 metres before I saw a group of children by the side of the road sizing me up and preparing for the inevitable drenching they would give me. My girlfriend who had to work said something in Thai to the youngsters so they relented and let us pass without incident. On my way home after dropping my girlfriend at work I again had to pass these water totting youngsters - this time I was not so lucky. As I rode past a minimum of 5 litres of water was hurled at me thoroughly drenching me from head to toe, the youngsters thoroughly pleased with their efforts.

After stopping at home in order to get ready to meet my friends at my place of work I was determined to get even with the children by the side of the road. I loaded my large water pistol and headed out for vengeance. As I approached my adversaries I took aim and let fly but again I came off second best and drove off to the sounds of laughter and cheers for my little foes. My place of work was only another 1000 metres away yet I was drenched a further 3 times before I arrived.

Preparations were well underway but the time I had arrived at my place of work - Tropical Easy Travel. Buckets filled with water were set out in front of the office, the hose brought forward, the BBQ lit and the fridge stocked with beer & various foods for the days celebrations. Within a few hours traffic had increased on the main road and the festivities were in full swing. We threw water at each other, passing vehicles and scooters - it was a blast!!! many of the vehicles passing by had added ice to their water buckets making their water ice-cold and a drenching from them a little more refreshing. After a few hours of the water fights, drinking beer, eating and general merriment I was thoroughly exhausted and headed home. I was doused with water a few more times on the way home and arrived with a smile and a sense of satisfaction that I had given as much as I had taken.

I can honestly say that my first Songkran was all I hoped it would be and more. This was a fantastic way to spend time with family and friends - I would recommend it to everyone. Make Songkran a feature in your next holiday to Thailand. What I miss the most about Koh Samui when I am away is the friendly nature of the locals, the beautiful beaches, and of course the many friends I have made in my time there.

No black tops and jeans for asian girl travellers!

by meltyan

I seriously warn you girls especially asian girls like me.. with tanned or dark skin.. like me... DO NOT WEAR BLACK TOPS, JEANS, GOLD JEWELLERIES, AND MAKE-UP.. cause otherwise you will be treated as a thai prostitute..

I was wearing like a typical tourist look as much as i can with t-shirt, pants, flip-flop, AND tie your camera around your wrist or hang around your neck. and shades mosquito repellent definitely..

Lamai

by JohnandSuzie about Lamai Beach

Smaller than Chaweng, Lamai has hostess and normal bars throughout the whole town but grouping in certain areas. Most of the normal bars have live bands playing...........the best i found was Samui Shamrock in the middle of town.
There are at least 3 nightclubs here all open very late in the early hours Anything

Ko Samui's airport is so cute!

by tere1

Bangkok Airways built its first airport at Koh Samui and it owns it so it's the only airline to fly there. The airport is the custest I ever saw. Very tropical with coconut trees and nice gardens, very colourful.

Located within the airport, passengers can dine on delicious traditional Thai cuisine at its open-air Thai restaurant. The latest additional to Samui Airport is the “Soul to Sole” spa where passengers can loosen up to a traditional Thai massage before boarding their flight.

Quiet & Cheap

by jamiesamui about Spicy

Spicy is a small restaurant situated 5 min north from Soi Green Mango(next to Starbucks)& I found it one afternoon when I was wandering around.

The menu here is as most of small restaurants do,offers both a Western & Thai Menu.

The food here is both good & cheap, service is good & the beer is cold.

An appertizer,Tom Yum a main meal a couple of beers & a fruit shake was just under 500 baht.

The only negative thay could be found was that there never seemed to be many customers here but i`m thinking that has more to do with the amount of competition in the general area than anything else.

A definate positive was when I was there a farang customer finished his meal payed then walked out without his wallet & the waiter chased him down & returned it. Tom Yum Mixed Seafood Soup just spicey enough to give you a nice twang.

Comments