Samui Cliff View Resort & Spa

Tags

Luxury Travel Family Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities

Hotel Theft Alert!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2011

Me and my friend checked into Samui Cliff View Resort on 15th May 2011. On 17th May 2011 morning, about 8:50am I sent my friend off for snorkeling at the lobby. I returned to our room (Room 304) 10 minutes later and the housekeepers had made up our room. I stayed in the room till lunchtime.

I went out for lunch at 1pm at The Cliff Restaurant, and when it was time to pay the bill, I discovered that 4,000 baht were missing from my wallet (my wallet is inside my handbag which was placed on the couch in our room). I counted my money the night before I went to bed, and I do not leave any money anywhere else other than in my wallet. Of that, I’m very sure of.

I returned to the hotel and spoke to the Front Office staff that I’ve lost my money. They took an hour to investigate and did not make an open investigation in front of me. The hotel manager / owner (name is Aem) came back to me and say he couldn’t find anything in the housekeepers’ (two) belongings.

I demanded to have one of the female hotel staff to do a body-search and to take off their blouse (in case money is hidden in their undergarments) on the said housekeepers in my presence (I’m a female). But the hotel manager told me that it is against the Thai traditions to do so, and if I insists, and they couldn’t find the money, they will report me to the police!

Since this is the case, I went to lodge a police report at BoPhut Police Station. They offered to do a finger print match but that would take at least 2 months or more to get the results, and I was required to leave my wallet with the police. I can’t afford to leave my wallet there as I’m a traveler and it would take some time before this case is settled, whether or not I will be able to get my money back. I requested their female officer to do a thorough body-search but there weren’t any female police officers around, hence, it couldn’t be done. I paid 20 baht to lodge the police report but nothing was resolved.

The hotel manager did not do anything to try to rectify the situation, did not offer any compensation, and thinks that his staff did no wrong whatsoever. He also commented that the money missing is a small sum! Therefore, I shouldn’t make such a hassle (as he puts it). I tried reasoning with him but he went back into this office, and didn’t attempt to mend the situation.

I’m very disappointed with the attitude of the hotel manager in handling this matter. The Front Office staff told me there were a few cases as such happened before to the previous hotel guests. So if this is a repetitive action, why didn’t the hotel manager do something serious about this? I was never even offered a mere explanation but was told to not make a big fuss about this since it is ‘not a lot of money’ and that ‘we are tourists!’

I urged all travelers to Koh Samui to avoid staying at Samui Cliff View Resort because this is a serious crime and that manager / owner has no intention to stop this from happening again.

Directions: Chaweang Noi

• Swimming Pool
  • Room Service
  • Business Services

Ko Samui Travel Forum

Need advice about Ko Samui, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Ko Samui and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ko Samui hotel reviews

Nightlife
Mummified Monk
Koh Nang Yuan
Things to Do
Koh Samui taxi drivers.. can be killer
Warnings and Dangers
Very affordable automatic scooter and motorbike
Excellent cooking class on Koh Samui
Avoid!
Busy v Quiet
Thai Kick Boxing
Things to Do
Lamai Village, girlie bars galore.
Party Central in Chaweng Beach Village
Things to Do
Lamai Beach, kind of yuck!
Crowded paradise
Things to Do
Best way to get around the island - scootering!
By plane from Kuala Lumpur