211 Moo 4, T.Maret, , Koh Samui, 84310, Thailand

Expedia.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 52% less but rated 18% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Hotel Theft Alert!

Me and my friend checked into Samui Cliff View Resort on 15th May 2011. On 17th May 2011 morning, about 8:50am I sent my friend off for snorkeling at the lobby. I returned to our room (Room 304) 10 minutes later and the housekeepers had made up our room. I stayed in the room till lunchtime.

I went out for lunch at 1pm at The Cliff Restaurant, and when it was time to pay the bill, I discovered that 4,000 baht were missing from my wallet (my wallet is inside my handbag which was placed on the couch in our room). I counted my money the night before I went to bed, and I do not leave any money anywhere else other than in my wallet. Of that, I’m very sure of.

I returned to the hotel and spoke to the Front Office staff that I’ve lost my money. They took an hour to investigate and did not make an open investigation in front of me. The hotel manager / owner (name is Aem) came back to me and say he couldn’t find anything in the housekeepers’ (two) belongings.

I demanded to have one of the female hotel staff to do a body-search and to take off their blouse (in case money is hidden in their undergarments) on the said housekeepers in my presence (I’m a female). But the hotel manager told me that it is against the Thai traditions to do so, and if I insists, and they couldn’t find the money, they will report me to the police!

Since this is the case, I went to lodge a police report at BoPhut Police Station. They offered to do a finger print match but that would take at least 2 months or more to get the results, and I was required to leave my wallet with the police. I can’t afford to leave my wallet there as I’m a traveler and it would take some time before this case is settled, whether or not I will be able to get my money back. I requested their female officer to do a thorough body-search but there weren’t any female police officers around, hence, it couldn’t be done. I paid 20 baht to lodge the police report but nothing was resolved.

The hotel manager did not do anything to try to rectify the situation, did not offer any compensation, and thinks that his staff did no wrong whatsoever. He also commented that the money missing is a small sum! Therefore, I shouldn’t make such a hassle (as he puts it). I tried reasoning with him but he went back into this office, and didn’t attempt to mend the situation.

I’m very disappointed with the attitude of the hotel manager in handling this matter. The Front Office staff told me there were a few cases as such happened before to the previous hotel guests. So if this is a repetitive action, why didn’t the hotel manager do something serious about this? I was never even offered a mere explanation but was told to not make a big fuss about this since it is ‘not a lot of money’ and that ‘we are tourists!’

I urged all travelers to Koh Samui to avoid staying at Samui Cliff View Resort because this is a serious crime and that manager / owner has no intention to stop this from happening again.

Directions: Chaweang Noi

More about Ko Samui

The happy people of Koh Samui, extend our warmestThe happy people of Koh Samui, extend our warmest

Reggae BarReggae Bar

Natien BeachNatien Beach

Hin Tai and Hin YaiHin Tai and Hin Yai

Ferry vehicle

by lauchloe

How much is the charges from Surat Thani to Samui Pier? Per car. And the operating hours of the ferry? From Hat Yai, how far it takes to reach Surat Thani jetty?

Re: Ferry vehicle

by lauchloe

Thanks. But we are driving from KL to Hat Yai, then from there, would like to drive further up to Samui. That's why we need the ferry info to plan our schedule.

Re: Ferry vehicle

by derekscott

The price, as far as I know is dependant on the vehicle you are driving and how much space it takes up on the ferry.Let me know which type of car you are driving and I will find out the price for you. I think for a standard family saloon the price is in the region of 400 Baht.

Travel Tips for Ko Samui

Yoga with Ute Eikermann

by balisunshine

Living in Ko Samui for the past 5 years,
Ute Eikermann is a qualified
Inyenger Yoga teacher.

She will be giving a 5 day workshop
this coming December.

She is also available for privatye classes.

E-mail: UteEikermann@hotmail.com
Tel. 09-909-6581

Elephant Soccer

by ATXtraveler

With a World Cup bid all but over for the Thai Soccer team, they turned to the best competition they could find to play. In this case, it turned out to be a bunch of elephants!

The competition ended in a one-nil victory for the big boys, and the elephants then went to celebrate the victory by playing a little basketball!

Lamai nite life

by hash09

Night life.

In this island there is a lot’s of place to go. For the clubber like me, we can go to the chaweng coast; there is a lots of entertainment place like pub, disco and shopping center, because I like to shop a lot. But from the place where I stay, the nearest place for entertainment is at lamai, you also can find so many pub, place to shopping. Sorry people I always talk about shopping, to me there in Thailand can me my shopping paradise though.

From Ko Samui to Ko Phangan

by balisunshine

If you don't want to stay
the night at Phangan,
then go for the day!

Take a snorkelling and fishing tour
to getan idea of what the island is like.

Daily departures (according to the weather)
start as early as 9:00 am and return at 5:00 pm.

One available boat is the Sirene at:
077-425301

Jeep

by clouds111

Rent a jeep for a couple of days to sea the island. This is good way to see the main sights of Samui and really cheap (about 800 bahts). You can find rental jeeps or bikes anywhere along the strip in Chaweng. It can be a bit daunting because they don't look particularly professional places to hire from (when we got there early in the morning there was someone asleep on the floor!!), but it all turned out well in the end.

The island itself it very easy to get around especially the coastal areas as a road circles Samui, so it's impossible to get lost. There are plenty of signs too. The jeep and the days we had it for were great although it did takes some time to work out how to get the key out of the car (Japanese cars!!).

Comments