Shasa Hotel Casavela

ShaSa Resort & Residences, Koh Samui
Expedia.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• I went solo and enjoyed my stay!

I don’t usually like to write reviews for any kind of product or service but an exception can be made for Shasa Hotel, I think. First of all, it has a great location. When you’re bound for Koh Samui, your travel agent may recommend you to a nice Chaweng hotel by the beach. If you’re planning to have a lazy vacation, it’s all right to be at the center or several meters away from everything.

But why even travel if you don’t want to explore? So this boutique hotel was the perfect place for me. It gave me more space to roam around and less shops and nightlife. (I can always go there whenever I want to; I don’t have to live near them). The trips to Lamai or Chaweng (more than twenty minutes via the hotel’s shuttle service) gave me the chance to have a tour of the island.

Obviously, this is also the reason why I’m writing the review. I’d love to say where some people are wrong about this proximity thing.

That said, the short trip is worth every minute – the Shasa Hotel is a picturesque hillside location with the best view of the Gulf of Thailand with some gardens here and there and coconut trees. I absolutely love the peace and quiet. It felt like having a real home in Thailand.

The hotel itself is a destination. My trip was more of a sabbatical but I thought I’d make it some kind of a business with pleasure kind of thing. When I wasn’t out taking pictures and making notes or just learning about the local people, I had fun staying home or at the hotel. The waterfall-like pools and well-placed gardens provide the perfect ambiance, classy yet natural.

I might be nit-picking but I think if you aren’t going to an island vacation to relax I was and instead want to party then this might not be the hotel for you. There aren’t many nighttime activities/parties on this part of the island.

Another reason to choose Shasa is that it offers everything you can possibly need away from your home country or hometown. Its Health Club features state-of-the-art exercise equipment ranging from free weight to resistance or cardiovascular training. I’ve been to the sauna room or the hydrotherapy pool a lot too. I never let the spectacular sea view out of my sight. Whenever I was too lazy to change clothes to dine out, I’d just go to Beyond the Sea for an exotic Thai food or fine wine.

Overall, Shasa at Laem Set in Koh Samui is an excellent choice if you want to get the most out of your stay in Thailand.

Unique Quality: Awesome private beach

Directions: At Laem Sett Beach

• I had great honeymoon at Shasa

When our trip to Phuket was cancelled at the last minute, I thought our honeymoon was going to going to be ruined. Thanks to our travel agent who swiftly booked us for Koh Samui, it didn’t turn out as I expected. What really changed the course of our honeymoon (yes, I really wanted to go Phuket so much) was our stay at the beautiful Shasa Hotel. The island and hotel turned out to be just as I imagined my honeymoon destination to be. As of this writing, I haven’t stopped bragging about it to my friends.

At the Shasa Hotel lobby, I couldn’t help but say “wow!” while being unashamedly teary-eyed. Even my friends didn’t say I was over-reacting when I showed them all the photos! This hillside by-the-sea hotel took my breath away with its landscaped garden and cascading pools.

When we arrived at our room, a one-bedroom Seaview Suite (with a dramatic view of the Gulf of Thailand from the veranda), I knew something was going on. No wonder the shuttle service driver who picked us up from the airport had a mischievous smile. My hubby already had something prepared in our suite – one large white and red rose tree basket from the local florist and a tub full of rose petals. He had this planned months ago! He had set up his laptop within seconds and captured my aha moment right away! As promised, we posted our first pic on Facebook (via the hotel’s wifi Internet) right away to tell our families back in the States that we arrived safely. After that we were on our own in this little paradise.
    My groom was certainly impressed with the kindness of the hotel staff. They were very friendly and eager to please. Without their full support, he wouldn’t have been able to pull off the delightful surprises that he planned for me including the candlelit dinner at the balcony which was much more romantic than I could have ever imagined. And true to our sweetheart tradition we had coffee afterwards – Starbucks coffee at Shasa’s Beyond the Sea. The day after, I had my first Thai cuisine dinner here. Fantastic!

The rest of our honeymoon was like a dream. Shasa Hotel staff helped us book for elephant trekking and tour of temples and historical sites. When we feel too lazy to leave the hotel, we enjoy their smoothies, relax at their hydrotherapy pools or have some cocktails at the pool bar.

The choice of hotel can really make or break your honeymoon. I’m so proud of my hubby for finding Shasa Hotel.

Unique Quality: Great spa facilities, friendly staff made us feel like royalty

Directions: Laem Sett Beach

• Great Rooms and Amazing Food!

As soon as you enter the Shasa hotel you are in awe as the lobby is breath-taking.

This hotel has everything you could ask for. It’s got awesome food, amazing swimming pools, and super duper friendly Thai staff who were all proficient in English.

I’ve never spent this little for such a quality 5 star hotel in the United States. I think the price of the hotel is more than reasonable.

The restaurant Beyond the Sea had some of the most delectable Thai food I’ve ever had in my life.

Lets talk about the room itself. It had all the basic amenities you would find at any other hotels but with extra features. I was shocked when I found a washer and dryer in the room. The room even had detergent!

Our balcony also had a picturesque view of the ocean. It was great waking up in the morning and getting a glimpse of that view. I miss it!

I really liked the big living room with cozy couches, once you lay down it will be very hard for you to get up. The rooms also have free wifi.

Another good part of my stay was the kitchen. The hotel was kind enough to send someone over to my suite and teach my wife and I to cook some Thai food, surprisingly the food even turned out delicious. I now know how to make the best Tom Yum Kung in Wisconsin.

I’m not the most extroverted person in the world and I’m not afraid to admit it. I hate crowds and beaches that are full of people. That’s probably why I loved staying here so much. The place had a private beach (Laem Sett) and there weren’t many other people at the hotel, at the gym or even in the pool. Maybe it was because I went in the low season but anyway I loved the privacy that hotel offered.

Unique Quality: Food was amazing, view was superb and the beach really great!

Directions: Laem Sett Beach

• Had a Great Time Here!

How many ways can you say amazing in English? Well I will try my best, this hotel was fabulous, awesome, flawless and fantastic.

Sorry for gushing but I really want to make sure that readers of this review understand that if they go to Koh Samui and money isn’t an option then there’s really only one question they should ask.

How many days should I stay at the Shasa Resort? The answer should be as long as possible.

From the moment we got off the airplane and the Shasa Resort van picked us up, we knew we were going to have a great vacation.

There’s no way you will get bored in Koh Samui, not when you are waking up everyday with fresh fruit, excellent service from the whole staff and are basically living in paradise.

Shasa’s staff helped us book a breath-taking scuba diving trip, monkey show expedition and elephant riding trip. All of their recommendations were right on! The animal shows, scuba diving and other activities they recommended all turned out to be awesome.

And when we weren’t out and about traveling around we were chilling at the Laem Set beach, a private beach, which is quiet, has a picturesque view and is great place to relax.

You should also check out the Shasa Resort’s famous Beyond the Sea restaurant. This restaurant serves tantalizing authentic Thai cuisine. Some of the best chef’s in Thailand also work at this restaurant.

The facilities at the resort were also state of the art. They had a large gym with a good selection of free weights and machines and a yoga room, which my wife loved.

There also was a humongous library with tons of books and magazines from around the world.

Finally our room was wonderful. We had big screen TV, large bath, private pool and lots of privacy. We even had our own kitchen. Some other couples told us they offer private Thai cooking classes too, unfortunately we didn’t have the time to fit it into our schedule but I’m sure that would have been awesome too.

I’ll like to reiterate this again for you all, the Shasa Resort is amazing!! I highly recommend it.

Unique Quality: Amazing views