The Tongsai Bay
- Four Seasons Resort
- Tongsai Bay Cottages & Hotel
- Rocky Resort
- Sandalwood Luxury Villas
- Baan Samui Resort
Not a 5 star luxury hotel-beware....
Having stayed in other 5 star resorts in Koh Samui and Thailand over the past 10 years, I expected a luxury hotel. Why it isn't:
1. Typical resort greets guests with drinks, flowers, etc. This resort greeted us with a glass of tea and a drink menu to buy a drink. Our villa was not ready as the air conditioner was broken. They sent us to another villa with a broken air conditioner.
2. Our lunch at the beach was met with the baby being given a rusted spoon, paper napkins, mildewed chair and a 12 inch hair found in the soup. We also had to ask for silverware.
3. The sand is the worst in Thailand. It is rocky and impossible to walk on.
4. Room features are horrible. They are outdated, poor, and both villas had broken tubs.
5. Food is horrible- Being Asian I am familiar with Thai food and food served at the Thai restaurant was not Thai. Also, it was terrible and served improperly.
6. Room amenities- Provided each day with a bowl of fruit that was old and only consisted of one apple and several oranges. Typical Thai resort will provide you with mongusteen, rombutans, passion fruit, lychee. Also, they provided us with 3 cookies each day and called it a traditional Thai biscuit. This is hilarious as they are basic cookies you can buy in bags of a hundred for pennies. Then, they had the audacity to say that we could buy them from their gift shop.
7. Staff was unprofessional and could hardly speak English. Similarly, literature left in the rooms was grammatically incorrect and poorly written. They also had a cheap sign that said that mice and animals might be found in living conditions because they are not killed and a part of the natural habitat.
I have traveled the world and especially Thailand. I know a 5 star hotel and also know that I could have received better service at a 3 star.
Ko samui, it doesnt get any better than this!
This is without doubt the best hotel i have ever stayed in! everything from the staff, service, food rooms, and area was truely wonderful.
To have a bath outside overlooking the sea (but still private) was amazing. Each day we had 2 house maid calls. in the morning she Cleaned the room and refilled the free water bottles, cookie jar & fruit bowl. and in the evening she turned down the bed and left a little treat on my pillow such as a choc or a flower.
The food was out of this world to Keith Floyds restaurant on the private beach is only 1 of the 3 on site.
not a good place for kids but thats even better for me!
Unique Quality: The half moon pool is fantastic, amaizing views
there is also an on site spa and treatment rooms.
A dvd library which you can borrow for the evening free of charge and watch in your own room.
Staff are fantastic
We very much enjoyed the secluded privacy in our cottage. The greatest feature is an open air bathtub on the balcony of your cottage. Our offered an ocean view but it was well secluded and still as private as a bathroom - just much nicer...
For an extra touch, collect some frangipani in the garden to add to your bath.
Dark wood prevails in the cottages which gives a slightly rustic, but not overly bright atmosphere.
Since the Tongsai Bai is built on a small hill, be prepared for a few steps whereever you want to go.
The only way to more or less avoid is would be to choose a beachfront suite. These 24 units are all in one building close to pool, beach and reastaurants but I would not recomment this as the essence of the tongsai bay lies in the secluded cottages in the jungle. (Maybe this works for the bigger villas too, but I've only seen them from outside.)
The beach is nice and hawker free. The sand is a bit coarse.
Food quality was good and original Thai (i.e. not too much westernized Thai), with cooks allways happy to help for any special requests.
Unique Quality: Romantic cottages with great bay views.
Directions: North eastern tip of Koh Samui.
Not much within walking distance.
Koh Samui Paradise
We had a wonderfully relaxing trip to Koh Samui in 2001. It was one of the first times that I did all my research and trip planning via the internet. I chose Tongsai Bay because they advertised an ocean view from every cottage and a bathtub on every veranda. The idea of watching the ocean while taking a bath was too good to pass up and I was sold. It was truly paradise. The cottage was beautiful and quite large. Not only did we have a bathtub on our veranda but we had another one plus a shower on our back patio.
This resort had everything that we went to Thailand for. Beautiful scenery, luxurious accomodations and of course the best food. We especially loved the traditional Thai dinner we enjoyed while seated on the Thai cushion and listening to the live traditional Thai music.
Unique Quality: Small but private beach
Extreme luxury at Koh Samui
If you like once in a lifetime extraordinary luxury or ultimate honeymoon place, then consider Tongsai Bay Resort at Koh Samui.
Resort has long private beach, super villas, 3-storey hotel and some dozens private deluxe cottages. Try to get cottage instead of hotel room because the price is (was) same, but there is more privacy in cottage.
Tongsai Bay is pricey but definitely worth of every cent. Food is excellent; best we found at Koh Samui and the privacy is very relaxing. In our bungalow we had outdoor bath tube and another backdoor jacuzzi. Villa has also possibility to sleep outside on the veranda with mosquito net.
My sample images do not make justice to the destination. Check the site for adequate images, including overall views, gazebos etc.
Unique Quality: Outdoor bath tube; private outdoor jacuzzi in every apartment / room, private beach, outstanding modern Thai food
Member of Small Luxury Hotel www.slh.com
Directions: East-northern end of cape of Koh Samui, Thailand
Ko Samui Travel Forum
Need advice about Ko Samui, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Ko Samui and ask our Answer Gurus.