Aonang Terrace Hotel

Aonang Terrace Hotel
Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

More about Krabi

fishing portfishing port

Where's my guide? Oh, he's take my picture!Where's my guide? Oh, he's take my picture!

beautiful soap carving with 100baht/pcbeautiful soap carving with 100baht/pc

Lagoon in Hong IslandLagoon in Hong Island

Need Help Deciding Day Distribuition between Rai Leh and Phi Phi Don

by Urbanomad

Hi,

I will be travelling to Thailand in April 2011 and planning to spend a total of 7 days between Rai Leh on Krabi coast and Phi Phi Don Island. However, I'm not sure where I should spend the most time between these 2 places. Is there more to do and see in Phi Phi Don or in Rai Leh? Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Michael

by GracesTrips

I haven't been to Koh Phi Phi but I have been to Railay. You can see pics & tips on my Krabi page. How much time you spend at either destination is dependent on why you are going. Is it just relaxation or do you enjoy swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, etc.? The resort we stayed at on West Railay had the best price in transportation from airport to resort. It included from the airport to a dock and a long tail boat ride to east Railay (round trip). I know the transportation to or from Phi Phi is limited during the course of the day. I hope that helps!

by RobSydney

How much to do
Well really both are releatively quiet beach slob experiences
Ok they have other things , but thats the core of both
Rei lei is a little older crowd, maybe a bit quieter, maybe closer to other places like Au Nang for suplies and boats to other islands , snorkeling days out from rei Lei
Pi Pi mosr younger , more party, more nightish
But really both are centered aropund the nice beaches and a relaxing holiday feel

by Urbanomad

Thankyou.

Basically we want to spend time relaxing on beautiful beaches, whenever we want and to a lot of activities and tours whenever we want.... it's basically a mix.

by RobSydney

Given your brief- key items relaxing, beautiful, closer to more things to do and a Pi Pi vs Rei Lei decision
My vote would be more Rei lei

by SfumatoPants

If you want a quiet beach with activities then I'd have to say that Phi phi is out. It's my opinion that Phi Phi is a disaster zone - destroyed by tourism. Railay is slightly better off, but it's very expensive.

I would suggest the beaches further south on Koh Lanta for peace and calm with an opportunity to throw in some sporting and nightlife activities. From Lanta you can always take a day trip by boat to Phi Phi to witness the trashy party scene first hand.

Travel Tips for Krabi

No Medical Facilities in Railay

by GracesTrips

Staying in Railay was absolutely wonderful. It's beautiful and peaceful with lots of activities you can do such as kayaking, snorkeling and rock climbing. However, the drawback in Railay is that there are no medical facilities. And, if you think about some of the activities you might consider doing, there are risks of injury to consider. In the event of an injury that needs medical treatment, they would need to take you by boat to Ao Nang. Then from there a hospital which is probably in Krabi Town (not sure).

Tiger Cave Temple

by travelpug

This may be the most famous cave temple in Krabi Province. The cave used to be the home for tigers, hence the name Tiger Cave Temple. It's a big compound and it could be crowded on weekends and holiday. Climb to the top of the hill and get a nice view of Krabi.

You need to take a tuk-tuk to get here because it is out of Krabi town.

KRABI AIRPORT

by Adeline_Foo

Krabi Airport opened in Novermber 1999 and is a small but efficient entrance to the province located just 15 kilometers northeast of Krabi town. I flew to Krabi by SilkAir. It is a direct flight from Singapore and it only took 1.5 hours!
From Krabi Airport, you can get a taxi to bring you to Ao Nang. For us, airport transfer is included in the package so we got a bus that drove us to Ao Nang. It was about a 30 mins ride by bus. In Ao Nang, the best transport to see the place is walk! Ao Nang is a very small town and you can just walk to anywhere!

As for visiting all the islands, long tails boats is your safe bets! Also, speed boats to those a little far away islands or those special diving boats where they take people out for diving!

Scuba Diving

by Fernandocramos

Phi Phi is one of the best places for scuba and snorkling. I did two dives, one in Koh Si and another one near Koh Talu.
I could see a lot of fishes, anemonas, reefs, and alitle cave that we passed trough it and croosed the island.
The company I choosed was Ao Nang Divers and they were extremely professional.

Elephant farm

by Globtrotter

Elephant farms protect Thai elephants as they provide them with work and food (there is an issue with unemployed elephants in Thailand).

Farm are very touristic. They offer elephant rides and baby elephant shows.

The shows are nothing short of humiliating for those poor animals. To me, this was the worst memory of our trip to Thailand.

I left the show in the middle and went feeding some elephants with bananas away from all the tourists - that was fun and unique :)

Comments