Phulay Beach Aprime Resort

Agoda.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Costs 87% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Krabi

MAYA BAYMAYA BAY

Towards Diamond Cave Resort, go thru this doorwayTowards Diamond Cave Resort, go thru this doorway

Koh Kai in a stormy dayKoh Kai in a stormy day

Fishes that came nibbling at our fingersFishes that came nibbling at our fingers

Krabi in September/October

Hi guys,

I have a holiday coming up and originally thought of spending it in KZN province of South Africa.

But then I started considering rather going to Thailand and even though I think I would prefer heading towards Koh Samui, I'm getting the best packages for Krabi. I was very keen for this until I saw that it is Monsoon season and that September/October is usually the peak.

Has anyone been to Krabi/Koh Lanta during this time of year? Should I rather wait for my next holiday and time it better to go to this region?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Those areas will be an absolute nightmare in monsoon! Lots of mud & puddles around.

Feb/March is better..

by Doempie

I've been to Lanta a couple years ago during March/April and we also had afternoon and evening rain every day... It was still fun with nice hot days.

Have you been in the surrounding areas during monsoon season?

by Durfun

I was in both places around end of March. Only experienced some rain.

Best time is Feb I'm told.

But monsoon can be irritating. Some friends went & they were annoyed with the mud everywhere, making getting around a real pain apparently!!

by mim95

Ko Lanta gets quite quiet in the monsoon season. Rain can happen all day long! You are much better off going to Koh Samui instead.

March and April is not monsoon yet, and the occasional rain is quite normal at that time.

by earthflyer

I've stayed in Phuket up until mid July at the most and the weather was still good then but you can guarantee a thunder shower everyday in late afternoon. I would imagine in September It would raining quite a bit.

by Doempie

Thanks for the advice, everyone... I guess I just didn't want to accept it!

Going to Koh Samui from SA in September is difficult because all prices are higher to book because of our school holidays.

BUT, I have decided to head to Thailand again in March/April. That's not too long to wait... Will use this holiday to explore South Africa's own subtropical region. :-)

Thanks

by Cathy&Gary

We regularly drive to Krabi and Koh Lanta during September and stay for around 5 nights, never had a problem with the weather, yes it will more than likely rain, mostly at night or sometimes for an hour or two during the day. It has not stopped us from having a great time, no matter what it is still hot & humid with sunshine. Never had a problem with muddy roads etc, the roads in both places are fantastic!! Few potholes the further north you go on Koh Lanta but absolutely nothing to worry about!
Cathy

by Doempie

Thanks, Cathy! That's actually what I wanted to hear... :-) Maybe I'll still strike a last minute special, if not I'll postpone till April.

by mim95

Cathy, you must be really lucky with the weather. I used to live a few hours north of Krabi and rain can be really dreadful during the monsoon...sometimes no sun for a few days!

by Durfun

I guess some people like swimming in the muddy roads ;-)

by Cathy&Gary

Mim, we have just returned again from 5 nights on Koh Lanta and had some nights where it absolutely poured with rain and the days were cloudy with a couple of scattered rain showers but best part is its still hot and I burnt quite a bit on those cloudy days. It has never been enough to ruin a holiday lol.
Cathy

by mim95

great to know...i used to carry my raincoat (umbrella is useless) with me wherever i go in the rainy season. The rain is just so unpredictable...it can rain for hours or days...but sometimes there are clear moments.

by Doempie

So, postponing until April, it is! Thanks for all the input! :-)

Travel Tips for Krabi

Monkeys in Krabi

by gabyne

There are quite a lot of monkeys (macaques) around Krabi. You see them climbing around in the trees or like this one (seemed to be an older one) right by the foot path (between Pra Nang and Railey East Beach) watching the people going by.

Be careful, they might get aggressive or steal your food.

Meet the locals...

by Denay

Although I would not suggest this to just anybody, we were fortunate enough to really get to know the server at (surprise surprise) the Lost Sailor bar, who took us to his house (him on one bike, the three of us on the other) in Oa Nang, where he cooked us a traditional Thai meal, no westernization what so ever!

It was really awesome, seeing where he lived, how he cooked (on the back step with no hot water or soap, with a pet snake and tarantuala) and what real Pad Thai tastes like!

Original Thai restaurant in a romantic garden

by swissrain about Baan Mai

We were not satisfied with the restaurants on the Krabi beaches: overpriced and poor quality, such as only tourists can be served, onetimers, who enter the place to find out and then never return, or only return because there are no alternatives.
So we set out for Krabi town, hoping to find an original place there. A decent Thai woman gave me the recommendation: Baan Mai (wooden house). Entering the place I knew I would be happy: a wonderful, lush, tranquil garden, and a Thai clientele that wouldn't accept the poor standard of most Ao Nang restaurants. What a difference the way the servants approach the customer here to those Krabi beach restaurants. I felt the time had stood still in that place, getting a service I was used to 20 years ago. The food was excellent, too, and the prices adapted to Thai prices, not inflated like in the tourist ghetto down there at the beach.
The place is great for lunch, too, so you can get back to the beach with a public bus. I returned to Baan Mai every day for the rest of my Krabi stay, and revelled there each time.

Go on a boat tour

by Bonobo2005

Several travel agents and hotels offer large varieties of boattours. A typical tour includes some beaches, some sightseeing and some snorkelling. In many cases you can choose between longtail boats and speedboats, the latter being more expensive.

Surely it will be most likely an enjoyable day for most visitors, still be aware not to overrate such trips;

I was on a speed boat trip around Phi Phi Island and even in low season there were around 8 speedboats doing the same tour at around the same time so it gets very crowded (hard to imagine how it will be in high season!). When you want to swim you are warned for the speedboats that come an go and the time that you'll get at the beaches (30-40 min.) is just too short to indulge yourself in the beauty of the place. The boats tend to be packed and -along with the rough nature of speedboat travel - are not ideal for taking photo's from the boat.

Fares for a day trip are around THB 1000 (USD 25) / THB 400 (longtail boat) p.p. incl. entrance fees, buffet lunch and water on board. Book the tour directly from the operator (Barracuda on Ao Nang f.e.) for lowest rates.

Cooking Classes

by eugene29

Fancy a break from all the climbing and diving? Join the cookery class and whip up your favorite dishes like Phat Thai and Tom Yam Soup. Its a unique experience to be cooking in an open air kitchen and on top of a hill too.

Comments