99 Moo 5, Ba Kan Tiang Beach, Ko Lanta, 81150, Thailand

Expedia.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• vigi's Profile Photo

Beautiful Pool at Pimalai Resort

A stunning and refreshing fresh-water infinity-edge swimming pool. Normally, you'll smell and chlorine after jumping in a pool, but this one, no chlorine taste, not salty, it just like fresh river water, so cool!

• vigi's Profile Photo

Eco-Friendly Pimalai Resort

An exclusive 5-star eco-friendly resort managed by French. It offers well facilitated while abundant natural scenery, a beautiful pool, and yummy food.

Very troublesome and time consuming getting to this resort... 45 mins bus from Krabi downtown, 30 mins boat transfer, another 30-40 mins by minibus from Ko Lanta pier to hotel. It was exhusasted by the time arriving there, but worth it, it was SO BEAUTIFUL. This hideaway place is best for movie stars, celebrities, or wannabe to hideaway from those proporazzi "doggy" reporters.

Unique Quality: The room was nice, big and with balcony. Bed metress was ok, not very confortable as it "sound" when I turn around at night. Perhaps it's beacuse the environment too quiet so I can hear my bed? Electricity was a problem, it happened to cut off when heavy rain, a few times at night.

More about Pimalai Resort & Spa

Fantastic Resort

by TripAdvisor Member eliasbetinakis

Our stay at the Pimalai was a truly fantastic experience.

We stayed in a normal room, but the size and standard was above all our expectations. The welcome greeting, the friendly staff, the superb library, the free Internet connection, and the infinity pool. Everything we experienced at the Pimalai except for the food was very very good.

We travelled in Thailand for three weeks with a 14 mo baby and stayed at wonderful places along the way (Nakamanda in Krabi, Amari in Ko Chang, and Lebua in Bangkok). However, the Pimalai was the best place we stayed at overall.

If you go there don't miss:
- the upper level with the bigger library, the bigger pool, and the Seven seas restaurant (so-so food, high price, but amazing view, service and setting)
- the "same same but different" restaurant 5 minutes walk on the beach to the left (south). Great food and very nice staff.

Wouldn't return

by TripAdvisor Member youjustgogirl

We stayed at the Pimalai for three nights in late January 2006. It's just not worth the money. The food is horrible, except for breakfast, which was very good. I agree with lots of other reviews that it's not Thai enough, that the Thai food there is not good, and that the other food isn't good either. The rooms are lovely, we stayed in a beachfront villa. The pool is nice too. I just didn't like the feel of the place, and I thought that the service was pretentious, not genuine...as if I was at a five star resort anywhere. I love Thai culture and Thai service. I will say the spa was lovely, and the treatments were good. If I were the Pimalai, I'd rethink the food, and the feel of the place. We go to Thailand for Thai culture and food, not a resort in Thailand that feels like you're in Maui...but with bad food.

Huge disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member saskia-TRIP

We just came back from a tour through Thailand. Because we're both keen divers I also booked 5 nights (22nd. - 27th. of February) Pimalai resort for it's proximity to some nice dive sites. On arrival we checked in at the dive centre and booked the diving for 4 days. They told us that there would be no diving on the 25th. because the resort's owner had claimed the boat for a private party. The dive centre’s owner did not provide us with an alternative so I went to another dive club. In the evening of the 25th. I called the resort's dive centre to hear at what time we would be going out the 26th. I was amazed to hear that the boat was taken again. So again no diving with Pimalai.
I am hugely disappointed in the way the owner of the dive club behaved in not providing us an alternative dive centre and if the resort's owner wants a boat for his private parties, we (his guests) should not be affected by this. This sums up the diving affair.
About the resort I can be brief : The only thing 5-star about it is the prices. Also the general manager seemed to be making a giant effort not to show his face. All in all I think they have some pricing and management issues and I would not recommend this place as a 5-star resort.
Another thing : People staying in the newly build pool villas up in the hills had a pleasant surprise when they found out that their restaurant was closed because the resort's owner had claimed this too!
About the staff I can't say nothing but praise.

Excellent service with many smiles

by TripAdvisor Member paletexan

The staff alone at Pimilai truly make the resort great. Everyone greets you with a smile and does a great job. The transfer to/from airport to resort is seamless and the pampering in between lives up to the 5 star rating.

The grounds are well landscaped and quite lush. The location is great and next to the national park, and in proximity to some local villages. The internet access, dvd rental, and book library are a nice touch. The Spa is also excellent.

The breakfast buffet is not quite as grand as other 5 star properties in Thailand, but was adequate. In summary, the elevations and rooms of the property are well designed and the smiles of the staff are contagious.

Beautiful!

by TripAdvisor Member Shlumptyknees

I booked to stay 5 nights in a bayfront deluxe villa in early February this year. Despite the long journey and some confusion getting from the international to domestic terminal in Bangkok, I would say that the effort was definately worth it. Upon arrival by cabin cruiser to the perfect beach, I immediately knew that 5 nights would not be enough. The bayfront deluxe villa was huge and very clean and well appointed. The pool was beautiful and the food quality at each of the 3 restaurants excellent without fail each and every time. I would compare the meal prices to those in London but the quality far better. My take on it was that if you are staying at a 5 star resort, you have to excpect to pay a higher price than those found outside. Breakfast (full buffet) was very relaxing with a view of the beach and pool. The overall setting of the resort is simply stunning, varifying from manicured laws and flowering shrubs to dense jungle complete with families of monkeys in the early morning. The staff were unfalteringly polite and asisted whenever they could. There were a few language problems but there english is still far better than my Thai! After 3 nights I decided to extend by a further 3 nights and moved to a superior room which again was excellent and without fault. It was not until the last day of my stay that I found my way to the new part of the hotel further up the hill. The view from the bar and new pool is amazing so make sure you take your camara with you when you have sun-downers. I had almost daily treatments and massages at the incredible spa. These were not cheap but were by far the most intensive and most relaxing that I have ever had in Thailand. The steam bath and jacuzzi are free of charge in the spa. All you need do is call to book a time. All in all, I throrughly enjoyed my stay here and fully intend to return at the same time next year. My recommendation: don't delay - Book up and relax! I wonder if this review will get me a discount....

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member Barngirl

Perfect holiday at a wonderful resort.
Yes it's expensive compared to other locations on the island.
But it's really not expensive when compared to dining out in the UK or USA.

what does one expect for a 5 star resort?
Loved it!

Be sure to rent a car and explore the island. Beautiful.

Koh Lanta - Should I stay at Layana or Pimalai?

by rfilios

Thinking of venturing out to one of the islands while in Krabi next spring. Im travelling with my mother who deserves a much needed vacation and I want to take her somewhere very special. Koh Lanta has caught my eye and I can't decide between Layana and Pimalai. Help!
Any Koh Lanta tips welcome too or if there is a better island and fantastik resort I should be considering instead, let me know!

Re: Koh Lanta - Should I stay at Layana or Pimalai?

by Ritchie_Lionheart

Each island has its own character and tastes vary. I stayed in Krabi in November with the rainy season lasting much longer than usual. I am glad that I did not STAY on an island, as I would have become pretty bored. If you stay in Ao Nang, you will get to any of the islands in less than an hour, but also have easy access to all amenities offered by a medium-sized town (shopping center, massage, cinema, restaurants plus organised day excursions to islands and on the mainland). Hotels are cheaper as well (competition...).
I never book in advance, Krabi airport has a good hotel booking service.

Comments