Somkiet Buri Resort

See Amenities

Somkiet Buri - Plus and Minus

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2006

Stayed at the Somkiet Buri Resort in Sept 06. Here are some of my comments and hope it would be of use to fellow travellers. Pls note that the experience is dependant on each individual personal opinion. So here goes :-

Plus :

a) Good location, near to all the ammenities and about 80 m from the beach.
b) Hotel design is great if you are an eco lover. Lush greenery resembling a rainforest. Privacy is assured between the next room with lots of trees as coverage.
c) The room I got which was a double bed is generally clean but basic and there is a balcony.

Minus :

a) Courtesy and friendliness of the reception is wanting. You are received with a glum face and spoken as if you owed them a living. A request to have the reception call my taxi driver for the return trip arrangement was dismiss.
b) The service level at the restaurant was also disappointing. It seems that the staff need more training on cust service.
c) When I got the room I was given a double bed but wanted a twin bed. I was told to pay more if I wanted an upgrade to a bigger room with twin bed or to get an extra bed. To be fair I believe the blame partly lies with the internet booking company for not informing me that the the room type I booked did not have twin beds. However the manner in which the hotel staff spoke to me indicated that they were only interested in solving the issue by asking the guest to cough out money. Not a good start to your 1st day.
d) Maintenance of the room was poor. Bathroom light was not working and the tap on the sink was loose. When the water was running from the tap it began to leak at the bottom onto the floor. The bathroom light was changed after informing the reception but the leak and the loose tap wasn't fixed. The TV was working but no programs could be selected. I was told because the central antenna was broken affecting the entire hotel. After 2 days it was still not fixed.
e) The selection of food during breakfast is basic. A couple of dishes only enough to fill your belly.

Unique Quality: Lush greenery resembling a rainforest. Good location.

RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

A Little Bit of Heaven

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 12, 2006

After several months of trawling the Net to find the perfect hotel to celebrate my daughters birthday I finally found Somkiet Buri, a new hotel resort that had just opened. Rates were good so I booked and crossed my fingers. On arrival at Krabi Airport a young Thai boy was waiting for us with the hotels minibus (which we had booked and was much cheaper than a taxi)to speed us off to our destination at AO Nang Beach. We arrived at the resort and turned off the main road down a drive to the open-air Reception area glistening like a jewel in the dark, hot night where we were greeted by smiling staff and a glass of chilled fruit juice. Young boys arrived looking smart in their blue and green uniforms to whisk our baggage away on a handcart, and they beckoned us to follow them. They lead us over little wooden bridges spanning magical streams full of coloured fish, thru lush tropical foliage with mangoes and coconuts hanging from them, until we arrived at our room which was huge, with a lounge area and an amazing stone bathroom. The floor was beautifully tiled with designs of orchids inlaid in the marble. The boy showed us how to work the remote controls for everything, lights, curtains, TV etc and quietly left us to explore the rest of the room. On opening the curtains we found a big terrace furnished with teak loungers, table and chairs and surrounded by enormous exotic plants in the garden where we could just see the swimming pool shimmering in the failing light. A welcome basket of tropical fruits sat on the coffee table with a little card wishing us a good stay. I knew I had made a wise choice. Come the morning we could see that this resort consisted of 13 bungalows all around the central swimming pool and whirlpool and accessed by small paths and bridges through stunning gardens and jungle greenery.

Unique Quality: The dining area of this hotel was on a terrace under a bamboo roof and breakfast was a buffet, which was pleasantly surprising and had choices for all nationalities. Its only a five minute walk from the beach and although there are lots of shops just outside the hotel it was still tranquil once apart from the wild birdsong. Just 17kms from Krabi renowned for its limestone formations and pottery remains dated back 37,000years making this the most ancient settlement in Thailand. Krabi also boasts a 4 acre water park and golf course.

Senoritasmile's Profile Photo

Wonderful, secluded - Ao Nang Beach

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 12, 2005

This is a very special place! A small, beautiful resort just minutes from Ao Nang beach. There are about 15 chalets built within lush, tropical gardens, around a natural-style pool and plunge pool with a back-drop of mountains. You get to your room in the chalets by crossing lots of little bridges over fish-laden streams. The twin rooms are large, with two dble beds and a little terrace with big, comfy chairs. Cost was very reasonable.

This is really where you should head for total R & R or if you're on your honey moon! ( there were lots of honeymooners here).

Nearby Somkiet Buri Resort

Amenities at Somkiet Buri Resort

• Restaurant
  • Swimming Pool

Krabi Travel Forum

Need advice about Krabi, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Krabi and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Krabi hotel reviews

Rent a Kayak
Snorkeling at nearby Islands
Go to Ao Nang
Things to Do
Dimond Cave (Diamond Cave)
Long Tail Boat
Bus Tour?
Rent a Motorbike!
Transportation
Rated No.1 out of the three!!
Things to Do
Break down of the 3 main Island tours in Krabi!
Things to Do
Travelled there by bike for 3 consecutive days!
Things to Do
Bhor Thor!! Beware of the mosquitoes!
Things to Do
huay tho waterfall elephant experience
Bernie's Place