19 Moo 3, Ao Nang, Muang, Krabi, 81000, Thailand

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 45% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Sunda Resort

Photo taken by HaraldPhoto taken by Harald

Crystal Lagoon (pond) about 30 km E of Krabi townCrystal Lagoon (pond) about 30 km E of Krabi town

Noodle vendorNoodle vendor

up at the top!up at the top!

Need Your Help

by brizol

Hi,

We are looking to take the ferry from phuket to krabi to spend a couple of nites,how long would it take from the ferry port to the best beaches?is there transportation avaliable?
Which beach would be best for a 2 nite stay,2 adults and my 8yrs old daughter? and any thought on a nice beach hotel mid price range?

Many many thanks

Hotel tip

by Kakapo2

My husband stayed at the Sunda Resort and loved it. He thought it was very good value although you had to walk 10 minutes to the beach, and 30 minutes to the centre of Ao Nang (or 30 Baht for transportation by Tuk Tuk).

Hotel Suggestions?

by cl3150

I am going to be in Krabi in mid-February, and would really like to get some suggestions for a nice, well-located hotel. So far, after looking on the Internet, I am considering the Tubkaak, the Amari, the Rayavadee and the Sheraton. If anyone has stayed at any of these places and can offer some feed-back, that would be very helpful. If there are other places that you would recommend that are better than these, I would like to hear about those as well.

Thanks.

Re: Hotel Suggestions?

by expatbangkok

Krabi town is boring. Sheraton is remote, better to stay near beach road. I stayed at Tipa Resort.

Re: Hotel Suggestions?

by Kakapo2

My husband who has just been in the region says:

Krabi town is miles and miles from the beaches, so you should get accommodation at the beaches. Ao Nang is definitely the best beach. There are very many hotels and resorts and the range in quality is great. All I can really comment on is the Sunda Resort where I stayed. I thought that was very good value although you had to walk 10 minutes to the beach, and 30 minutes to the centre of Ao Nang (or 30 Baht for transportation by Tuk Tuk).

Krabi airport transfer

by actressmelb

Hi all!

I will be heading to Krabi (Ao Nang/Nopparathara beach) within the week and am currently a little confused as to the status of transfers from Krabi airport. Some of the official websites (not sure if they are out of date) claim there is still NO public bus service from the airport to Krabi Town and private transfer and taxi is the only way?

I have also read about the 150B service to Ao Nang/Nopparathara beach and that it goes as far as Sunda resort (my resort!) Has anyone taken this and knows whether it is reliable and meets all arrivals? I will be on an Air Asia flight arriving mid arvo (after 3pm). And does it go to to hotels or just drop you in the central beach areas? Sunda resort where I am staying is further away from the beach (it is closer to Nopparathara than Ao Nang). They offer an airport transfer for 700B one way, but as a young student on her own, I would like to avoid this!!!)

Thanks so much in advance. It is hard when a lot of the official airport and region sites are not clear on this!

PS Did anyone rent motorbikes/scooters over there who has never ridden motorbikes before? I am a cyclist but fear motorbike may be unsafe!

by earthflyer

My info maybe a little out of date now but there was no bus service from the Airport to Ao-nang Beach 3 years ago, I had to go by Taxi which took a little while to get there.

Hope somebody else has the answer for you.

by GracesTrips

I never saw a bus. Lots of bikes/scooters but hard to carry a suitcase on one of those. We rented a scooter in Ao Nang for US$6.00 for the day (pretty cheap). The scooters are automatic so it was easy to drive around. Not too much traffic so you can pretty much go at whatever speed you are comfortable with. We stayed at Railay West and arranged for airport transfer through our hotel. Since Railay is only accessible by boat, a van came to pick us up from the airport to take us to a dock and rode a long tail boat to Railay East. Round trip cost us 1200Baht. Ao Nang is little further north of Railay so I imagine the airport tranfer (round trip) would be the same but it's not necessary to take a boat (just my opinion).
Hope you find a reasonable way to get to your resort.

by Doffcocker

Hi,

There is a shuttle bus from the airport to Krabi town (100 baht) and there are songthaews from Krabi town to Ao Nang (60 B) but I don't know how far along the beach road the songthaews go, I very much doubt they will go as far as Nopparat Thara

by dominant_tofu

there is a bus going to almost every resort...as soon as you land at Krabi Airport you wont miss the counter offering shuttle for 150B.

by Doffcocker

Just to confirm and add to previous post, the shuttle is now 80 B to Krabi Bus station, 90 to Krabi Town and 150 to Ao Nang and Nopparat Thara

Travel Tips for Krabi

Swimming

by GracesTrips

How can you not enjoy the water at the beach?! The water temperature is soooo warm you feel like you're in bath water. It feels great! Not much of a surf or wind, though. So, you probably couldn't go surfing or windsurf. The sand is extremely soft and fine. Almost like powder. We also found lots of small seashells on the beach.

Long Tail Boat

by GracesTrips

The only way to get around if you're staying Railay is by boat. It's impossible to get there by car, bus, taxi or bike. Fortunately, it doesn't cost too much to travel by boat but you will need cash.

Ao Nang Village

by XenosUK

Our trips into Ao Nang village certainly managed to convince us (if we needed any convincing that is) that we’d made the right choice of hotel. After descending the wooden walkway, we had to run the gauntlet of the 20 or so massage tents set up on the beach, with their owners all trying to convince us to use their services, and then walk along the promenade till we reached to road into town.

Compared to our hotel's uncrowded beach, which was continually swept and raked, the public beach at Ao Nang looked extremely tatty and was crammed full of bodies and hawkers. It was nice to know that our little piece of paradise was just a 10 minute walk over the headland. I thought the best thing about Ao Nang beach was the troup of macaques which congregated at one end, waiting to be fed by passing tourists.

The main street is lined with shops, bars and restaurants and it reminded me a little of some up and coming Greek resorts back in the 70’s and 80’s when the locals were opening up businesses on every available patch of land to try and get their share of the tourists’ spending money. The restaurants offered amazing value for money though compared to the hotel restaurants and the shops were packed full of bargains and I had a great time haggling for yet more designer rip-offs!

The Karsts

by don_thomas

The coastline is partly filled with these enormous vertical outcrops of limestone, as high as 800 m. Truly amazing and not seen in that many other places on earth.

The limestone is very porous and water cuts its way into it; that's the reason why the rocks have suchs unusual forms.

The are a number of tours visiting the karsts. What you can also do is to do a trip to the beaches (several trips; I did the "4 islands trip"; check out the other tips) and enjoy the karsts all around you at the same time.

Catfish Farm

by AshleeS

We took a Tuk Tuk one day all around Krabi and we ended up at this catfish farm. They had spiders, crocodiles, fish, etc. You get food and you can feed the fish it is a little scary they are so big and yuck, see for yourself.

Comments