Tubkaak Resort

Costs 123% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Tubkaak Resort

Loved My Tubkaak Experience

by TripAdvisor Member HappyPappy

I just returned from a 6 days stay at The Tubkaak and I must say that I miss it already. I am so glad I choose The Tubkaak because it was exactly what we had read in the reviews and what we saw in the Tubkakk website.

My husband and I wanted somewhere quiet, isolated (which is lacking as more and more resorts pop up), and where the number of rooms are limited (Tubkaak has only 44 rooms). We didn't want big crowds of people in the resort or on the beach. And we got everything we wished for at The Tubkaak.

The moment we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by the smell of aromatic oils and this was at a large open air lobby. And surprisingly, aromatic oils can be smelt throughout the resort, even in the gardens. We were then served a nice cold Lemongrass Tea (we had to ask for a few more cups of it because it was just so tasty) and cold towels. As the checking-in form was already completed by the resort before we arrived, we only need to sign our names - no hassle at all.

Our ground floor superior room was fantastic as it faced the swimming pool, actually just a step away from the pool. All the amenities from flip-flops, bedroom slippers, cushions, hair-dryer, toothbrush/toothpaste, and a well-thought beach bag were just brilliant! Its outdoor shower and bathtub were a real joy to be taking a shower/bath.

Although the resort had only one main restaurant, its Thai food is delicious and affordable (cannot compare the price to the ones you find in the town) for a resort such as The Tubkakk.

The beach was also a great place to chill because there were hardly anyone around. It felt like we were the only ones around. When I took a dip in the sea at times, I was the only person in this one big ocean. It was pure bliss. The sea was also clean and safe.

I must also comment the staff for their wonderful service and smile. We were greeted by each staff everywhere in the resort. Once when I was lounging at the beach, I noticed a group of Thai youths walking along the beach towards the resort and making quite a noise. Immediately, some resort staff and security personnel came out and stood on the beach. I think it was great that the staff were alert and caring of the guests.... it was very professional.

Although it was supposed to be the monsoon season, we were really blessed with sunny weather during the entire stay.

The downside to the location of Tubkaak is that there are now construction at both sides of Tubkaak where 2 new resorts are being built. I really wished it could have stayed as a well-kept secret and secluded resort but that was not the case.

I'm glad I experienced the Tubkaak now and I would love to come back again one day soon!

Tubkaak (Thailand's best kept secret)

The resort is situated in the country region of Krabi next to the beach. The hotel comprises of 40 air cond rooms with a beautiful traditional Thai bathroom, these rooms are right on the beach. The hotel carters for honeymooners and travellers who want to relax. The resort facilites for massage and spa therapy also. Also the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Hotel Manager Petcharat, is very helpful and caring. I know from personal experience from when my wife contracted food poisioning whilst on our travels. This hotel is more designed for people who want to have a relaxing holiday without all the fast pace nature of Patong aka Phuket.

Paradise

As I read many a Trip Advisor review prior to choosing our holiday, I thought I'd better add my own! My husband and I were looking for a holiday which would provide complete "time out" from our hectic London lives. We have very high standards, but The Tubkaak really did provide the perfect holiday for us. We loved the fact that it was an independent hotel and sensitive to its surroundings, employing local people etc. We thought the room was great and the overall setting of the hotel was faultless - one of the most beatiful resorts we've stayed in. The food was excellent and everything including room service, minibar, drinks, was excellent value, and we loved the flexibility of the half board option. The thing that really made it for us was the staff - welcoming, friendly, accommodating of our wishes - they really did make this holiday extra special. I would definitely agree, as others have pointed out, that the Tubkaak is definitely geared towards enjoying time just the two of you as there is NO nightlife / entertainment / late night bar, but that was just fine for us. If I really had to pick faults, I would say the wine list is limited and pricey, and I would point out that the beach isn't going to make the worlds top ten beaches list. But all in all, I would not hesitate to highly reccommend The Tubkaak to friends and family!

Isolated Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member Sunblock06

We arrived at "The Tubkaak" in a pounding rainstorm during the first rains of the wet season. Luckily we read another review about the Tubkaak on trip advisor and we were aware that the Tubkaak's isolation north of Ao Nang. Our driver asked locals for directions but was confused and required reassurance to drive to the end of a long road after passing a muddy Gypsum loading station and fresh (read really muddy) resort construction. There is another Tubkaak resort nearby, (Tubkaak sunset resort) which also confused our driver.
We arrived with only 20 minutes notice, thinking they would be empty in the low season we called after checking other hotels and they had a room but only two. The check in procedure was pleasant and personal. Tea and cool towels and a pleasant chat with one of the receptionists and the manager. Once the rain stopped, we were given a tour of the room and descriotion of the facilities. After seeing our room and the grounds, we checked in.
We stayed for 5 nights in early May 2006, and it was great.

We have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It's not a "party" or "backpack" hotel, it's a beautiful, quiet boutique hotel on a quiet bay.

We felt that the staff was the highlight. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Whoever trained the staff did a great job. They are friendly and eager yet not in your face.

The design of the hotel is superb. It is tucked in amongst natural growth and very peaceful. The details of the hotel are fantastic. Such as small nooks with flowerpots tucked into the base of walls and stair railings. Maintenance is excellent, while we were there, the staff was changing the air nozzles at the bottom of the pool becasue they were slightly corroded !!

The grounds are amazing; ponds, waterfalls, & fountains. Lots of fauna as well, frogs, lizards, insects. There was a 4 inch praying mantis on a plant in the open air lobby!

As I said everything was great, but to list them, so people won't think I overlooked anything...

Room quality was fantastic, choice of AC or fan. No smell, nice and clean. Beautiful open air bathrooms.

Pool great, perfectly clean and relaxing with enough chairs.

Pool bar "The Splash" was closed but we would ask passing staff and they would have drinks delivered from the main bar in the restaurant.

Spa was great, high quality, we had a couples Thai massage. Quiet massage room with two mattresses and music. But be aware that prices are higher for services than in town.

The beach is nice with views of the Hong Islands, but there is some slight noise (only at times) from construction to the north of a new hotel.

The restaurant is great with a great selection of Western, Vegetrarian and Thai dishes.
Breakfast is included with the room and it is fantastic. Cereals, yogurts, fresh juices, fresh fruits that changed daily, salad, warm european and asian dishes, a bread table, and an omelette station.
The staff at times, tries almost too hard at times and needs to relax more. The only complaint would be that at all our meals they were constantly taking and replacing our cutlery depending on our order. Often they would get confused and add or remove the wrong utensils and apologize. The staff needs to relax slightly.

The front desk was very helpful with booking excursions, Long tail boats, etc. They would answer any questions and were great. We booked three excursions through them, one with 30 minutes notice and prices seemed reasonable and in line with prices in town.

The bar is a library and as others have said it is pretty quiet, and usually people are waiting there to use the internet. There is one computer for use, but with a slight wait everyone would share it.

The souvenir shop "Les artistes" is nice but there is a wider range of souvenirs and art in town.

The only downside would be that the hotel is 20 to 25 minutes from Ao Nang. However, if you want to wander "The strip" in Ao Nang for shopping you can use their shuttle bus or book a clean taxi with strong AC through the front desk.

Besides that we had a great time, after staying at Tubkaak, we moved into the Somkiet Buri hotel in Ao Nang for two nights to be in town to try different restaurants. While mush cheaper but still a beautiful hotel, we immediately noticed the difference in staff friendliness and helpfulness.

Hope this helps. We would return anytime if we could.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member JManly

The Tubkaak fell far below our expectations and was the worst resort we have been to in Asia. Due to massive construction surrounding the hotel for nearly 1 mile, the hotel is essentially located in an industrial mine - very depressing. Also, the rooms are outdated, dreary, and musty. The resort is located on the side of a hill amidst extremely dense foliage, resulting in very little sunlight on the grounds of the resort and a dreary feel in the rooms and around the outbuildings. Lastly, the food was only average, but extremely overpriced (2x many of the other Thailand resorts). They can get away with these prices because the resort is so far away from any other dining options. All in all very disappointed - my wife and I left after one night. At US$175 / night during the low season, it was also more expensive than many of the more impressive resorts at which we stayed.

Paradise found

Apologies for writing this review so late after returning however we wanted to put "pen to paper" following the most amazing 2 week holiday. We decided to have a complete break rather than half travelling and half beach. I was apprehensive at first as I normally get restless after a few days but the Tubkaak was the most relaxing, friendly, secluded place we have been to in a very long time. Hidden among (and designed within) the trees on the outskirts of a national park this well appointed resort offers all the extras of the luxurious 5 star hotel (DVD / CD player, satellite TV, internet access etc.) coupled with the "retreat" type qualities of far off destinations across the world. The food was excellent and varied but above all the service of the staff was far beyond anything we have previously experienced. I do not know how many staff the resort employs but it always felt like there was someone there just for you every waking hour of the day. Not intrusive but on hand as and when needed. Views from the beach were stunning, huge brown beanbags made a novel and environmentally friendly change to the norm. The many and varied boat trips are well worth a try (snorkelling and diving readily available). We would recommend hiring a scooter as it is always worth having a nose around the area (Tubkaak is located through a quarry and a new hotel construction site but don't be put off as it is worth it when you get there). This place is a must for those wanting to get away from it all and to completely relax and unwind. It really isn't often these days that you go somewhere where the staff are genuinely delighted to help make your stay as memorable as possible. We do hope to go back.

P.S. Make sure you have dinner on the beach as often as possible!!!

beautiful....

by TripAdvisor Member jodge1

we have just returned from the lovely Tubkaak resort and promised the assistant manager we would write this reveiw on our return.
The Tubkaak is a great, small and friendly hotel based in an excellant location about 25mins from Ao Nang. As many have mentioned you have to go through a quarry/building site, but it really isn't a big deal and well worth it when you get the other side. The hotel has won awards for the way in which it was designed amongst the natural landscape and when looking out from the Andaman sea, you really can not see it. While we were there, a small bar was being built on the restaurant, which we think is a great idea. You do need a place other than the restaurant to have a drink before dinner, or cocktail after your meal. If you are looking for quiet, this is the place to be. Possibly a little more evening entertainment would be nice to give a little more atmosphere, as after your meal, most disappeared to their rooms, but at the same time, you wanted to rise early to enjoy the fabulous surroundings each day. If noise and buzz is what you are looking for, take a trip to Ao Nang at night. Some good bars and restaurants, just be careful how much you drink, as its a long way back and the hangover is never worth it!
The staff are easily the most friendly we have ever encountered. They can not do enough, and seem generally happy in their work(not stuffy and too efficient as we have experienced in other 4/5* boutique hotels) They all seem to get on really well and due to the size, feels like a very relaxed feeling. The assitant Manager was great, as was the Manager who visited us, when we burnt our skin badly (stupid English).
This is the place to go if you want beautiful surroundings, excellant food, quiet and friendly atmos. Hope to go back one day.......

Heaven on Earth

Tubaak is welcoming, beautiful, tranquil - all you need for a completely chilled out holiday. If you want nightlife stay in Ao Nang, but here (30 mins away) is like a secluded paradise.

My husband and I stayed here in Feb/Mar for a kind of exotic honeymoon as we'd been married in Cyprus the year before. After a completely disastrous start - we missed our Krabi connection and had to fly to Phuket, then we were supposed to stay at the Central Krabi Bay which was still being built - we ended up at the Tubkaak. We weren't sure where we were going when we went through what can only be described as a quarry-come-building-site but when we got there we had such a welcoming calming feeling and we knew this was the place for us. Even after that start we both agreed it was the best holiday we'd been on - and my husband is not afraid to complain!

The staff were the most friendly, beautiful people I have ever had the pleasure to help me and that's down from the cleaner to the general manager - nothing was too much trouble. The manager went to Phuket on her day off armed with a shopping list for a lovely couple we met and came back with a caseload of stuff. They'll book you a trip to the Hong Islands (definitely worth a visit) and the 30 minute taxi to Ao Nang (good to say you've been but if you don't need anything and would rather stay relaxed in the hotel then why bother?!).

Our room was wonderful - 1st floor overlooking the pool, another example of feeling totally relaxed in wonderful surroundings. We were thinking of going for a sea view but we were perfectly happy where we were so didn't bother. We had lilies in the bath (double bath with open ceiling) and petals on the bed on our "honeymoon night".

The pool, beach and spa are fantastic - there could be more loungers by the pool but I suppose that added to the feeling of having the place to ourselves. Beanbags on the beach (and hammocks!) were a very comfortable way around the sunlounger ban on the beaches in the area. I did not expect Krabi to be so tidal and you could walk out for miles (well a fair distance) and still be up to your knees - a bonus for the non-swimmers, bit disappionting that there was not much to see in the way of snorkelling - but go to Hong for that.

We went to Railay Beach (from Ao Nang) to visit friends who were staying in the Rayavdee - the hotel rooms were beautiful but I can honestly say that I was so glad to be staying at Tubkaak where there was a much friendlier and relaxed atmosphere (maybe because Tubkaak is a lot smaller and it felt like there was a larger staff/customer ratio). There are also no longtail boats flying around and you feel like you've got the whole beach to yourselves, unlike Railay which was packed. Our friends did say it quietened down when the boats left but you don't sunbathe in the dark do you?! The one downside is that there was building on either side of the Tubkaak - too far to affect you but I think in the future the beach will get busier.

Evenings were fab too - book a table on the beach in the morning and come night time eat your heart out Shirley Valentine! We had a table on the beach the whole fortnight - the tide did come very close to the table a couple of nights but it all added to the fun. Food was fantastic, and there was a good choice, as were the drinks! (wine/champagne was expensive for what you get). Entertainment came in the way of a Thai Guitar player who came once a week - and added a hilarious Thai twist to all of you favourite songs (and did requests). If you like quiet nights this is definitely the place – it generally packed in at 11 - the Library Bar was very quiet when we were there, but a very small beach hut provided lovely cocktails - go at sunset and it will take your breath away. Mosquitoes weren't a problem - beautiful candles were everywhere and we got "fogged" one night we were there. We also watched a sunset wedding on the beach – the hotel did them proud, orchids and candles everywhere.

Even though there were many couples who were enjoying eachother's company (us included), we met some wonderful people from all over the world because we all had one thin in common - we were having a fabulous time! To conclude (because I really didn't mean to write so much, but I could write a lot more) - A truly wonderful holiday, I came back feeling totally refreshed and we would love to go back, maybe for an anniversary.........

Karen and Mark

Could be what you are looking for but ...

by TripAdvisor Member Thompsons-Abroad

We've just returned after originally booking 8 nights at the Tubkaak. The road to the hotel is probably the worst you'll ever drive on in a non-4wd - the construction work on a nearby hotel has devastated it. But once you've survived that the hotel is in a very pleasant location, just beyond a 'local budget' resort. The Tubkaak was the last resort on the road but there is construction on a new site next door. Noise wasn't a problem, though the beach was a bit untidy from the two construction sites.

Staff (especially the general manager, who is mentioned in other reviews) were excellent and couldn't do enough to help, though the more junior members were a bit TOO polite - I really don't need staff to stop work and bow as I pass! I had some sympathy with the royals there...

The pool is lovely, the beach OK and the grounds delightful. There is a little spa, but we didn't get round to trying because of the bad side (for us).

This was the room. We booked a deluxe room and were first given a 'garden view' (well, a path and the backs of some buildings) which was dingy and musty. The balcony was green and very unwelcoming. To their credit, the staff changed the room quickly for a pool view which was better. BUT the rooms are small and there is nowhere to sit in the room except the balcony. And that is out of the question at night due to the mosquitos. It's all a bit worn out too - the double bath really wasn't very welcoming and the natural stone / concrete finish is suffering the climate. They look lovely rooms in the photos but they really are impractical - there are 17+ switches for various lights and fans and they are far from obvious. And high celings are a nightmare when the inevitable moths, flies and mozzies find their way in. The designer clearly never tried to live in one! The ocean view rooms were better to the extent that you did have loungers on the balcony (just as well as there are not enough at the pool). The villa did look excellent though.

Breakfast is OK in the pretty little restaurant, but not exceptional. Evening meals were a problem though. The menu isn't extensive and (despite the tiny size of the hotel) reservation was advisable. The reason for this is that there are very few tables with good light or at the complete mercy of the mozzies. The menu just isn't extensive enough for more than a couple of days and there is only one restaurant in walking distance (the budget hotel next door had a small restaurant).

We were really disappointed and hunted down the Krabi Central after a couple of days and booked in there. The deputy manageress was very understanding and helpful in the circumstances. For some this could be paradise, but it just lacked creature comforts for us. And this isn't a budget hotel by any means - we were paying $US 300 per night for B&B.

Itay and Noa in Paradise

by inuit

I took my kids, Itay and Noa for vacation in Krabi area. We stayed in a wonderful hotel - The Tubkaak - and from there we went for excursions to islands and forests.

Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort or Central Krabi Bay Resort?

by mrslewis

My husband and I will be travelling to Krabi late August to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We want to stay somewhere with a beautiful beach and views but would also like to have access to local restaurants and entertainment. We are thinking of either the Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort or Central Krabi Bay Resort? Any recommendations?

RE: Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort or Central Krabi Bay Resort?

by francischris

sheraton wld be nice but for local reataurants it will br Ao Nang which is about 20 mins drive away.I stayed there in f

by francischris

istayed there in oct last year.Read my accom.review of Shraton.Karabi.

by mrslewis

Thanks for the advise. We are still undecided - is the beach by the Sheraton totally secluded or are there other hotels?

by francischris

there is 1 more hotel further up the beach .It's also 5 stars ,can't remember the name,starting with N...

RE: Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort or Central Krabi Bay Resort?

by DamoCanada

I highly recommend that you read the reviews and discussions in the forum of Tripadvisor.com under Thailand-Krabi Forum. There have been over 30 RECENT posts about people's experience at the Central Bay Resort. We have been checking there and have decided to stay at the Tubkaak instead.
Hope that helps.