Warina Place Hotel & Serviced Apartment Krabi

More about Krabi

Koh PodaKoh Poda

Pagoda of Goddess of Mercy, Kuan YinPagoda of Goddess of Mercy, Kuan Yin

Poda Island, KrabiPoda Island, Krabi

many boats and it's looks beautiful there..many boats and it's looks beautiful there..

Ao Nang/Krabi/Rei Lei.....very confused!

by steph87

Hi everyone, just a quick question..
heading to Thailand at the end of November & staying for nearly a month..we are staying at the Phra Nang Inn in Ao Nang...we just assumed this was "krabi"..however when reading the lonely planet thailand book it said Ao Nang beach is not very nice and although the hotel (Phra Nang Inn) is lovely you would be better off to stay in Krabi or Rai Lei........just a little confused, is Krabi the province? or a town? and how far away is Ao Nang from Krabi & Rai Lei beaches? would it be worth travelling there to go to the beaches each day? approx how much would it cost to travel there and how would you do this?

Thank you!

by brotherleelove

Krabi is the province, but it's also the name of the main town where most commerce takes place in that region. Those beaches are about 20 minutes away. I recommend you take a ferry from Krabi Town out to Koh Lanta for at least part of your stay so you can have the experience of one of the Andaman islands.

by expatbangkok

Eh, which edition of Lonely Planet Thailand says that Ao Nang beach is not very nice? In my edition is says "Ao Nang, a lovely, but fast developing strand....."

by nitnoi1

Krabi is the province and Krabi town is the main town. Ao Nang is the beach area and is was very nice when we were there in 2005. The town is small and has pubs, restaurants and shops but is not too busy. There are lots of lovely beaches around the area so hire a bike or catch tuk tuks around. Go sea kayaking, it is the best

by tony-c

Hi Steph87, Don't worry about what you may have read, We stayed at Ao Nang earlier this year and had a great time, There are plenty of excursions to look into, Most mornings we would go to the beach, Hire a Long Tail Boat for the morning or the whole day, point to a particular island in the distance and away you go. There are lots of beautiful islands around there, i think most longtail boats have there own Snorkelling kit, you will have a great time.

Contact me if you would like some images of the area, i can email them to you.

Good Luck

Tony

by ShonaM

Hi! We stayed at Ao Nang too, and it was really nice. Got some of the best food of our entire six-week trip in various beach-front restaurants (none of which I canr emember the names of, sorry!). It was a bit of a hike from Krabi town, about 50mins in a taxi, but it's pretty close to Rai Lei (also spelt Railay, on some local signpostage, which confused me at first...). We'd previously followed the lonely planet advice to stay in Phuket town and regretted it! It's a pain in the ass trying to get songthaew to and from the beaches, and most nightlife seems to happen around the beaches so i'd always recommend staying close to them! I did a climbing course with a centre in Ao Nang and they took me to Rai lei - it took about 15 minutes on motorbike and boat, so not too far...One side of Rai Lei is pretty scuzzy though, so i probably wouldn't recommend staying there!

by Fernandocramos

Krabi is the main town in that region but we prefered Ao Nang that has more comerce and night life, but not enough to borow you.
In Ao Nang you can go by long tail to Railey beach, just 20 bht, or you can hire a long tail for all day and visit all the islands near Ao Nang ( Poda, koh Si, Chicken Island etc). Dont pay more than 1000 per day, and see some warning tip on my Krabi page.
Good luck, we loved Ao Nang !!

by MVDELROSARIO

We're staying in Railay for a couple of days last week of November, too. We're looking at Railay Bay Beach Resort.

Ao Nang, from what I read, is a a bit crowded.

Travel Tips for Krabi

Gentle Kayaking with Mr Kayak

by sourbugger

There are several companies offering excursions, and all at around the same price.

I was however quite impressed with the Mr Kayak outfit. They had good equipment, new their territory well and were very friendly.

We bought a two-island visit, and after kayaking over to the island we tourned the logoons and mangrove swaps, coming across monkey colonies, caves, gekkos and other wildlife. It was well paced, and sensible stops were taken for refreshment. The monkeys were obviuosly well-used to visitors and eargerly lept from boat to boat to secure the goodies on offer.

We also found a monkey by himself in the mangrove swamp, who it is believed (at the moment) somehow ostracised from the main group.

Unfortunately the winds came up at lunchtime, which meant the second half of the trip had to be cancelled. To their credit half of the money was refunded without the slightest hesitation and lunch was thrown in for free.

Ferry to Ko Phi Phi

by Willettsworld

Boats to Ko Phi Phi Island leave from the main pier at 10:00 and 15:00, cost 350B one way, which includes transport from Krabi Town to the pier about 3km away. I booked my return ticket from a travel agency place in the hotel I stayed out (The Grand Tower Hotel) where the price was 700B. The trip takes about 1.5hrs and you can sit outside in the sun with your legs dangling over the side.

Krua Thara Seafood Restaurant

by Cathy&Gary about Krua Thara Seafood Restaurant

Krua Thara Seafood Restaurant is one of our favorite restaurants in Krabi and we have been there many times..
They are located near the entrance to the National Park at the end of Nopparat Thara beach. It is only a 5 min tuk tuk ride from Ao Nang beach.

This seafood restaurant is very popular and can be quite busy on the weekend with locals.
The setting is perfect and the food is excellent.

Our last visit there we started with Tempura prawns and Tempura vegetables.

Gary’s main was egg fried squid with garlic & pepper and I picked some great looking tiger prawns from the tanks and had them grilled with garlic & pepper, plus a large seafood fried rice.

We also had a large Heineken and a fruit shake. The total bill was 1015baht. We will definitely go back as the food is delicious!

Tiger Cave Tempel

by LenaFIN

Wat Tham Seua (Tiger Cave Temple) is 5 km from Krabi. The temple, one of the south's most famous meditation centres, takes its name from a stone formation nearby which resembles a tiger's claw. Today, about 250 monks and nuns live in the temple compound.

Two staircases wind up the limestone cliffs, the first one leads with 1,200 steps to the top of the mountain offering a superb 360 degree view definitely worth a try. The pilars of the staircase indicates how many steps you already climbed and a monkey family lives around the stairs. Reaching the top will reward you with an incredible view and a huge sitting Buddha, a golden pagoda and few other small constructions. The second one (only 130 steps!) leads into a valley where the monks live in simple huts.

James Bond Island Tour

by sacrebleu

This 1-day tour comprises of a few activities but mainly time was spent on travelling from one place to another. I wonder if it would have been better to join one with a speedboat than travelling via a long tail boat instead. The tour cost 1400B per person and was booked through one of the tour companies along Ao Nang Road. I would suggest you to find one with a speedboat and I regretted not for doing it instead of trusting my instinct by booking it through the first place I saw. Lunch provided by the tour in a Muslim floating village was awful. The food was cold and rice was hard and dry. We had to sit in the long tail boat for half and hour cos' of heavy rain but still it was a fun tour, I especially enjoyed the canoeing and Phang Nga Bay was so gorgeous. Again, we didn't see much cos' of the heavy rain. I think that will give me an excuse to go back to Krabi, no that I really need one!!

James Bond Island is very small with lots of shops for souvenirs. If you want to buy decorated sea shells, this is the place to go. They asked for 650B and we got it for 150B!

Comments