Avista Resort & Spa

Avista Phuket Resort & Spa
Booking.com Asiatravel.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Avista Resort & Spa

great hotel, fantastic staff, quiet setting

by TripAdvisor Member Iamsuperk

I spent 6 nights at the Avista end November - early December.

Arrival at the hotel was very nice and smooth. A lovely welcome drink, cool towel and Puang Malai (a Thai flower garland) were offered before being shown to my room.

Unfortunately the room I was shown to was not ready (as in still being finished with the electrical sockets hanging from the wall & furniture still unpacked not ready) so I was quickly rearranged to an alternate and told to contact reception in the morning for an upgrade to a grand deluxe room to apologise.
I decided to pass on this as I preferred the single king bed arrangement with sofa / day bed as compared to the more family set up of two beds + kitchenette in the other room, but it was annoying to lose the better view from the 4th floor.

Rooms as previously described are all well finished and well equipped. Large flat screen TV's, beautiful bathrooms with separate shower and bath with a glass window wall separating the bedroom (with blinds). Nice modern touches were international plugs (so no need for adaptors), full usb/hdmi/video & audio connection to the TV via a wall interface below the TV, DVD player and a large fridge (great for topping up on beers and wines without minibar expense)

Breakfast was nice but simple with the usual resort basics: egg chef on station, beans, bacon, cold meats, cheeses, sausages, salads, a Thai noodle / rice dish, pastries/donuts, fresh fruit etc it's simple and tasty but if you're wanting eggs benedict and salmon, look elsewhere.

The pool is lovely, although not massively huge and terraced with a larger pool and swim-up bar on the upper level and a small kids pool & lower section below. The pool loungers and large day beds are lovely but if the hotel was busy it could easily become crowded.

Food and drink at Avista is expensive compared to other hotels and higher end local restaurants and my only gripe. With the exception of the odd room service order late at night I ate away from the hotel. No-one was eating at the hotel at night when I was there, which was a massive shame given the great poolside setting. Some portions were also small, like the infuriating "6 artfully arranged chips" obsession
the chef has (say with a burger or fish & chips etc)... I wouldn't mind if they were fresh hand cut big chunky man chips, but not 6 small frozen chips.. a man's gotta have standards!
One other pet hate and thats pricelists tax exclusive, which when it's a 17% add-on can soon add up.

As a direct comparison to the Tropical Resort, Kata which is well reviewed on Tripadvisor and where I also stayed for 5 nights when returning to Kata...

Avista: better pool, more upmarket feel, better staff / welcome / language skills, much nicer surroundings and quiet location.

Tropical: Arguably better location (although noise from traffic and surrounding hotel entertainers), bigger balconies, rooms feel bigger due to no day bed but not as high end finish. Staff nowhere near as good. Reception just feels like a small box tagged onto the accommodation and no dedicated tour help.

Overall I really enjoyed the Avista, it's a relaxing beautiful resort style hotel with great staff. I'd recommend it for all sorts of travellers & families but think they need to revisit the food pricing to encourage customers and to make better use of the setting.

Suggestions: A scooter is invaluable for pottering around locally and takes the pain of the final 50m up the hill to the hotel away.

After Beach Bar at the Kata Viewpoint is a great spot to watch the sunset.
Pretty much all of the food locally was excellent. Kata Mama, Two Chefs, Moms Kitchen and Ban Thai (complete with cheesy cover band) were all very good. Ratrijazztuarant on the hill I'd pass on food again (overpriced and over-rated) but a nice spot for some pricey drinks as the sun goes down.

** If you're staying at Avista request a room on the 4th or 5th floor poolside to have a view, there are some rooms facing the back of the hotel where I wouldn't want to be and any lower you'll only see the surrounding trees.**

Worth the money spent...!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ShashiZ

This was my first visit to Phuket and I happened to book Avista based on some mixed reviews that I found on Tripadvisor. We were really not sure of the place but after reaching there, we found the place very nice...!!! The hotel arrangements, staff and management looked very attentive towards their customers and it was very satisfying specially because we had a four year old kid with us.
The breakfast menu was quite spread out and we liked the variety of food offered.
I am told the hotel has recently started (guess from Nov 01st) and hence you can see there is some work going on in some parts of the hotel but going with the services offered, it doesnt really look that the set up is so new...
Our trip was very short this year but we will definitely look forward to go back to Avista next time when we plan in for Phuket.

5 star!!!

by TripAdvisor Member shonamamtora

very posh and luxurious hotel!!!!pricy but soooooo nice to end our trip with a hotel like this.lovely clean big bed.big tv and dvd player.pool was an infinity pool.free internet in room as long as have ur own laptop.service very good.all staff tried there best to speak in english unlike other hotels.ny problem was fixed asap.the hotel is on a hill.5 mins from restuarants etc.if u hire a scooter karon beach n patong beach can be reached very easily.food not great here n def overpriced but not a huge problem as everything was nearby so we cud go eat outside wen we wanted to.

Lived up to our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member akp11

We visited Avista 16 days with our 12 years old daughter in december and were a little bit nervous that we would come to a hotel under construction. But no - the hotel was perfect with trees and green around the pool. The rooms are also perfect and we got a beautiful view over Kata beach. It is a modern hotel so don't expect a cosy thaistyle. We loved the hotel very much, after being at the beach or going on trips every day we enjoyed to come back to the swimmingpool have a drink in the poolbar and then relax in our big and wounderful room. (with free internet, and dvd player) It is close to Kata town and the beach - down a hill and you are there. The staff are VERY helpfull and want to be at your service all day, they come to you and asks if everything is okay. We loved it! And would come again!

Petersen family

Ps. We would like to recommend a beautiful and cheap place for delicious thaifood for lunch - so fresh made and a beautiful view. When you come to the beach it is to the right up in the cliffs - it is called "Fisherman".

5 stars comfort and hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Ling11

I visited Phuket for the 1st time with my husband and my 6 years old son for a 5 days stay with Avista in December 2009.

Decision to stay at Avista is definitely a right choice! Kata Beach is definetely beautiful and less commercialised in compared with Patong Beach.

Thanks Ms Jutharat Sonkaew for arranging for our Grand Deluxe Room on the 5th floor that faced partially the Kata Beach and also the town. The view is beautiful and windy and we managed a catch a glimpse of sun rise on one of the early wake up day. Try to get a room on the 5th floor to have more privacy and not on adajacent beside the other hotel next door, at night, you can relax at the balcony while enjoying your drink and the bird eye view of the town. Ocassionally with some fireworks at Kata Beach.

Swimming pool is great, they have 3 pools, one for young children 0.4m and 2 pools of 1.3m. My boy enjoyed thoroughly in the 1.3m pool with his float around. Very clean and can see the workers cleaning the pool every morning while having breakfast. Breakfast has a good combination of Chinese and American style.

Deluxe room is very roomy, with 1 king size and 1 queen size bedding. We can see through the bathroom and is very safe while my boy is playing in the bath tub and we are in the living room enjoying the full cable channels provided. We have no problem with the air con sound. Just the water pressure is not very consistent with hot water which already feedback to Ms Julia. She is always very attentive, friendly and checking with her in house guests' feedback to improve in their services.

One of their staffs, Ms Winnie whom we would like to specially thanks who help us to arrange for a last minute car rental, She willingly helps us to make all the local calls to search for a car rental for us at no additional phone charges and the car is delivered in one hour at a cheaper cost from Sutin Car Rentals.

Don't rent from SUTIN CAR RENTALS. Nasty experience with them. I have confirmed with them for a car rental through email one month ago specifically for a HONDA JAZZ for 2 days rentals at 1,500 baht (which is at a high side), On the actual day, they are late for 35 minutes with no apologies and worst still, delivered a Toyota Yaris instead, Their excuse is no car but still at same cost. Not ethical and professionalism to do business in this way!

The slope up to the hotel is very steep if you walk the 1st time, be prepared. After we got the rental car, it is no longer an issue. Try to drive in Phuket, the tup tup is really expensive and just a 15 minutes ride from Patong to Avista will easily cost you 400 baht.

We did enjoyed very much of our hotel stay with Avista! Will definitely stay with them again if we visit Phuket again.

Nice but somehow uncharming

by TripAdvisor Member TheNorgaards

Location
Perfect location with 5 mins walk to Phukets best beach to the right, and 5 mins. walk to Kata town on the left. Quiet and peacefully and yet close to everything you need. The only disadvantage is the short, but very, very steep slope to the hotel. It is possible to walk, but it is a god gym, and you would probably most time take a Tuk Tuk, which will cost you 100 Baht to either the town or to the beach.

Rooms
We went for a Family Room, which was very spacious and luxury, with all the gear you would need. Huge flatscreen, DVD, bathtub, fridge, microwave, balcony etc. Make absolute sure to stay on 4 or 5th floor – otherwise you will look into trees instead of the beautiful view of Kata Beach. .

Hotel
The Hotel is beautiful in a Western kind of modern style.
Everything overprized at the Hotel, and of course you can and will eat other places, but it is annoying that you have to pay triple if you would like to stay at the hotel. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times, and were the only one there. Stupid that they don’t lower their prices, and get more people to stay at the Hotel during meals. The Food itself is ok, and their sandwiches are above average. One of the consequences and the biggest “problem” with Avista is the lack of charm and touch of the lovely Thailand. Everything is too commercial and professional, and too far away from the warmness and excellent kindness of more Thai-oriented Hotel.
Kids Club not opened when we where there beginning of December 09.

Staff
English skills the best we have experienced in Thailand, and helpful and nice as always. But somehow not so charming and dedicated as we have experienced at most other places. They are professional and caring, but we never experienced anything else than standard smiles. At other resorts, we are normally on first-name with many of the staff, and they are playing and fooling around with our kids. Not that they have to at all – but they can’t help it; they want to.

An objective yet critical review in detail

by TripAdvisor Member AlexRobin

Part of my asian tour is a visit to phuket. If you havent been to very beautiful beaches of the world like Boracay, Palawan, Fiji Islands or even the carribean then maybe you will find phuket awesome but I have and I find phuket just ok.

I dont think I made the right choice for the hotel. Lets start with the good. The Grand deluxe room is BEAUTIFUL, moden, huge and quite impressive. the view is ok just the garden. The hill is not so bad if you are a fit individual but if you are not then you may want to cough up the 100 baht tuk tuk ride going back up. The beach is real close and the restaurants are quite many down the hill so the location of this hotel is pretty good. The pool is beautiful. Aesthetically this hotel is top notch if you like modern contemporary design.

The service is a mixed bag. Ive never found so many dumb people working at the front desk. When we checked in we gave the lady our passport and she was going through the list and she said that we were not in the list. I said give me the list and lo and behold we were on the list. I guess they hire people who cant read or worse cant read in english. We asked the same girl the next day where the concierge is and she looked at us like she never heard that before. We found the concierge and ask for any recommendations for restaurants. He pointed to the resort restaurant which was fine but we wanted somewhere else and he handed us a book for us to go through. I guess I can be the concierge in this hotel even if I dont know anything about the place since all I have to do is give customers a book.

We first stayed at room 328 and realized that the wireless connection does NOT work in the room so I tried the hard wired connection but it doesnt work either. We called the front desk around 7 pm and they said that the IT people are gone . The next day we walked to the front desk and a white girl said we need to be in the room for someone to look into it so we held off on our breakfast and waited in the room. Waited waited waited in the room and we called back and assked what time they were going to send the IT person and she said "RIGHT NOW and hung up". The IT guy came and after going through 4 different rooms and an hour and a half we got it to work, we had to transfer to room 330 which is where I am typing all this. For the business travelers beware of problems with connecting to their wireless internet so be ready to do wired connection but make sure you test that the wiring works in your room. The IT guy was very nice and really worked hard to get my issue resolved so thats one good point noting about this hotel. Originally they were going to charge me 150 baht per hour for using the internet and we said we will have to find another resort since I need to work and that will be very expensive. They came back and said they will give it for free. hmmmmmmm

I really dont do reviews immediately but I want to capture this because I feel strongly about this review particulary. We are staying in this hotel till Thursday Jan 14 and I cant wait to go back to a cheap hotel we are staying in Bangkok ON8 which will have a stellar review from me.

For the light sleeper this hotel is not for you. I can hear heavy footsteps from rooms above and it never ends. Late at night and early in the morning. It is very frustrating. For someone who is not a light sleeper this may not be an issue.

The safe in our new room did not work, they spent 20 mins trying to figure it out and then we said why dont you just get the safe from 328 since that is working and we have to go. That solved the prolbem. The new key cards dont work, we had to go back 2x to the front desk to get it to work. You can tell that the construction of this hotel is rushed since the fittings are not tight and tiles are loose in room 328.

This hotel has so much potential but all these issues all add up and make the customer experience very unpleasant. We paid 5500 net for our grand deluxe room, I dont think thats worth it. I will not recommend this hotel for this price. Maybe for less than 100 unless they resolve all their issues especially competency of the people working in the front desk. A well run 3 star hotel easily beats this one.

good modern rooms, nice hotel but not sure I would come back

by TripAdvisor Member edinburghers

good modern rooms with large tv as described in other reviews. stayed in this hotel as it had just opened and I thought rooms at least won't be run down. things were fine in that regard.
pools were nice.
restaurant--breakfast spread had variety but lacking in quality, taste lacking.
had dinner there one night. I had carbonara and a pea soup.
they were so bad I couldn't eat them and they were at UK prices, which I didn't mind paying since I wanted some good non-asian food for a change. But quality was disappointing. I would say the ready-meal carbonara and pea soup from Waitrose taste better!

overall, the hotel is ok but I find it quite built up...it is called a resort and spa but the spa is quite small and the entire land area of the hotel also very small. As such it has quite a built-up feeling to it, much like a condominium development in a high density place such as Singapore for instance. Not particulary relaxing.

I'm as picky as they come - and I loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member QueNombre

The pressure was certainly on. My husband left it up to me to book our hotel and I was worried about making a bad choice and ruining our vacation. I'm the picky one when it comes to hotels, so he didn't want to hear it if he booked a bad one :). We have an 8 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. Avista Resort and Spa was a fantastic choice. It does sit up a really steep hill, but its not that bad. The beach is about a 10 minute walk, taking your time if that. Kata beach is not as crowded as Patong so we loved the space and the privacy. The beach was beautiful. The hotel staff is fairly new but very eager to please you. Communication can be a bit of a challenge. But, you are in their country so Thai is their language. Don't blame them too much for not understanding your English (or whatever your language is). Do not "upgrade" to an Avista Club room as we did. Just stick to the Double Room if you are traveling with kids. The room is the same size but the addtional bed, microwave, and sink come in handy in the dbl room which we didn't have in the Avista Club Room. Either room though is GREAT. They have a huge shower head so its like taking a shower in the rain. The beds are huge. The kids club is tiny, but the staff there were very nice and friendly. If you need a babysitter make sure you arrange this with them at least 1 day in advance. We rented a car from Avis upon arrival and it was totally worth our money. Since Avista is away from Patong, we were able to go to Patong and back as we pleased and explore more of Phuket. At Avista the food is delicious! Try out their BBQ Seafood Buffett - totally worth your 400 THB per person. Their breakfast has a great spread as well (pastries, cereals, breads, pancakes - which my kids loved, omelettes, eggs to order, fruits, and more). The hotel helped us arrange a tour to Phi Phi Island which was way cheaper than other agencies and we were picked up at the hotel and returned. Quit looking! Avista is relaxing (not boring), affordable, and the hotel exceeded this picky traveler/mom's expectation.

Lousy service and management, just Okay hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member baycoralore

We stayed there for four nights to explore lower coast of Kata, it was our first time in Phuket, now we know that we could find something much cheaper and the same good comfort and location. It is not worth the money you pay because throughout of all our stay I had a feeling that the only great thing about this hotel was the room - modern and comfortable. As for the rest - we never had a chance to use any other of the hotel's facilities. And the star rating is obviously overrated, all you get of so-called luxury is just a room, the rest - is far away from claimed amusingness. The hotel on the pictures of the website and even here on travelers' images looks much bigger than it actually is. That was my first impression when we arrived there: "And that's it?"
On arrival they gave us a welcome drink and put a beautiful real-Orchid bracelet for each hand. The bed in the room was all covered in rose petals. They also brought complimentary fruit basket and a chocolate cake, which was a bit dry. And they presented me a gift voucher of 2000 baht for hotel SPA. Sounds great but with small letters it was written that the voucher works only for treatments of 3 and more hours, and those packages started from 5000 baht! Seriously?
Avista Hotel is located on the hill (which is good if tsunami hits the island, which I hope will never happen) and has built in almost O-shape with rooms around the average size pool on two levels. Usually couples stay on the upper level pool and people with kids stay on the lower lever (there is also kids poll next to it), next to the main restaurant. The main frustration there is that there not enough sun-deck chairs around the pool for the guests. I do not know why it was so difficult to put more chairs, but certainly it is not cool to worry and rush for the stupid chair every time after breakfast. Especially if some guys (I totally do not get why to be such [--]) come and "occupy" some chairs like 7am before breakfast with their towels and bags and leave for the whole day, and all you see at the pool - all seats are taken and no people on'em! So we didn't bothered and spent all of our time on the beach, spending cash not in the hotel but in local beach cafes, with prices twice as chap then in the hotel.
Another thing is the staff, I agree with previous reviews, the front desk personnel really needs to be trained. I haven't noticed a particular friendly welcoming attitude or neither I got my answers or help whenever I asked for. Sometimes I called them from my room and nobody picked up the phone (it was during the day working hours)! I was waiting for hours to get somebody to answer, and it was easier to just to go down and ask when I wanted.
On the second day the balcony door literally fell down, and the safe didn't work. By the way, thru-out of the whole our stay the safe was still broken, because no one bothered to come, so we had just to take all the valuables with us every time.
Breakfast was okay, but could be a better quality. I like that they had slightly different omelette every morning (with chilly or with coconut) and dim sum was good. By the way, staff at the cooking station was the friendliest.
Location is very good, and for us it was not a big deal to walk up the hill, I think paying 100baht for 4 mins walk is ridiculous. The beach was very close. But in the end, if you are not using the hotel's facilities to 100% why to pay 4500 baht for a room , when you can get a fine air-conditioned room for 1000 baht also next to the beach?
But, if you still happen to stay in that hotel ask for the room 404 or 504, it has the best views - to the ocean, and not to the yard.
We had our laptop with us and internet connection was free and worked fine. I suggest to take a laptop with you, because those four computer at the lobby are constantly occupied by the guests and the is a line.
In the end of our stay we had an unpleasant situation with taxi. We had to move to another hotel in Kamala, which is 20 mins up in the west coast and half way to the airport. We used taxi-meter from the airport down to through the whole island to Kata (the only station on the whole Phuket) and we paid 500 baht. Now to make half of the way the taxi next to the hotel (lobbied from the hotel probably) is asking us to pay 700 baht. I didn't like it at all and was asking the hotel personnel to call official public taxi, they refused - probably they are all somehow connected to the guys sitting outside and calling themselves a taxi -service, cars that are not even indicated that it is taxi. I was asking for the manager, the front desk was calling for the office, this "manager" didn't even came out to talk to me, they just angrily said: "Okay, we can call for the official taxi for you as a huge favor, but you will speak to them yourself!" That was so not polite and unpleasant! So I went down asking for the price from others "taxi", everywhere prices were the same, so they all work in agreement, I guess, by keeping the priced at a certain level. Only going a bit towards the centre, I managed to get a car for 600 baht, which was still disappointing.
To sum up, the hotel strangely seems to lack a smooth management (for just opened hotel) to control the quality of service and train its employees, I am also wondering why in a newly open site everything is falling apart?
Seriously, with such a fierce competition and high service standards in Phuket what is this hotel thinking? you can do much better. Good luck for all!
PS Little tip: do not be afraid to rent a motorbike. In the Kata centre it costs 300 baht (5 euro) per day, go for the area near Avista hotel, you can get a bike for 200 baht:) The motorbike will make your travel experience in Phuket much more amazing, you can go to Kata Noi beach and Rawai (there is a great Bob Marley bar on the way with gorgeous views) to see amazing sunsets on your own, it is such a great thing that will let you save lots of baht that you could spent hiring tuk-tuks. Just be careful and wear a helmet.

Early evening cocktailsEarly evening cocktails

A local monk enjoying food at Nikita'sA local monk enjoying food at Nikita's

Watersports at Phuket's beachesWatersports at Phuket's beaches

Phuket TerminalPhuket Terminal

Avista Resort & Spa, Kata

by rachwade

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at Avista Resort & Spa, Katam recently? I will be staying there in Feb/March next year. Just wondering your opinions of the hotel and surrounding area and what to do. This is our first time in Thailand. (we will also be celebrating my sisters 30th on the 24th).

Thanks,
Rachael

Ps. I will be staying here with 5 other people, mixed ages. Me & my boyfriend (26 years old). My sister & her boyfriend (30 & 40 years old) and my parents (55 years old).

by mim95

the beautiful rowhouses in Chinatown; go up to the hill in phuket town for a panoramic view - there is also a restaurant there that you can have lunch or coffee; day trip to phang nga bay; visit chalong temple; snokelling trip. All of these can be arranged with your hotel or at any local travel agencies, or hire a driver to do it at your own pace.

by rachwade

by NinaPhuket

I live in Phuket 8 years I think Avista Resort is not bad including Kata beach area is good, Kata beach is good for swimming. If you come with many members in your family I suggest you to stay at place as same as holiday home, 3 - 4 bedrooms Pool Villa/ Apartments, Condominium for saving cost, privacy for keeping everyone in family together and good for some events: Birthday or celebrating.

My friends who came to visited me in Phuket they like my suggestion. If you are interested the idea I 'm welcome to support you for property rental services contacts, for more information email nina.th@hotmail.com

by iMac.mcc

We, family of 4, 2 kids 5yo and 7yo, satyed in April 2010 and loveed this hotel.

It was at the end of a 3 week trip around thailand and after island hoping, it was nice to go to an establishment that had such fantastic facilities.

Our room, which had to massive Queen size beds was excellent. Our kids loved the blue neon mood lighting. The breakfast was also devine. The 2 pool areas were fantastic, including the swim up bar.

The only negative my wife had was the walk up the hill after dining out (she has an injured knee) but we got around that by getting a tuk tuk to take her up the hill.

Highly recomend this hotel